It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Planet May Have Come From Another Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Alien Planet May Have Come From Another Galaxy

news.sciencemag.org

Astronomers have detected what they believe to be a planet at least the size of Jupiter that came from another galaxy. If true, the world is the first planetary immigrant ever detected in the Milky Way. The find would also violate the leading hypothesis of how and where planets form.

The planet lives 2200 light-years away inside the Helmi stream, a ring of ancient stars that cuts through the plane of the Milky Way. Astronomers believe the stream formed 6 billion to 9 billion years ago, when the Milky Way ripped another galaxy to shreds, swallowing some of its stars in the process.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 11/18/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

www.breakingnews.com...
Sorry got the headline from the above link.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Oozii because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is a first.

Pretty amazing. Almost creepy too. This planet made it's way into our galaxy, possibly from another.

If that's the case, the world is the first foreign planet detected in the Milky Way, the team reports online today in Science. But that's not the only unusual thing about it. It shouldn't have formed in the first place.

What do you guy's think about this?

news.sciencemag.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
That's interesting, especially since fans of Zecharia Sitchin will recognize that as the same method Nibiru used to find its way into our solar system.

If Nibiru even exists.

Although, I do find all the recent information being released regarding new planets being found, and all of the talk about UFO's and extraterrestrials in the media being some kind of social conditioning for whatever purpose.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

A planet has been discovered around a type of ancient star that scientists once believed couldn't support planets. Even more incredibly, the planet formed outside our galaxy.

io9.com

Another article on this. I wonder how big of a discovery is, and if the planet possibly has life. Now that would be awesome.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

A planet has been discovered around a type of ancient star that scientists once believed couldn't support planets. Even more incredibly, the planet formed outside our galaxy.

io9.com

Another article on this. I wonder how big of a discovery is, and if the planet possibly has life. Now that would be awesome.

Can we force them to leave our galaxy on the basis that they are illegal immigrants?

Joking aside, it doesn't surprise me that there are leftovers from a galaxy clash. Still, it's amazing when we can confirm these thoughts/theories.

I always have to remind myself of how truly VAST the known universe is. It's discoveries just amaze me every time.

Thanks for finding this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
oh no! now we've slept with every galaxy it's slept with!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Nice find but meh.. It irritates me we can detect a planet from another galaxy, but can't get ET to phone us from Alpha Centarui.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The Article I read earlier about this planet called it a "Jupiter like planet". It didn't specify what that meant, so I don't know if the comparison is because of the planet's size or atmosphere... maybe both. Needless to say, if it has similar atmospheric conditions as Jupiter then there would be no life. Having said that, I also think that we humans have such a narrow minded view of life, meaning that we really only consider the environment that is needed to support life is our own, water, oxygen, etc... Because our universe is so huge and the possibilities are endless, what if there are life forms on another planet that need methane or helium or high concentrations of hydrogen to survive and thrive? What if there is a planet with a civilization much like ours except that they breathe nitrogen or carbon monoxide and oxygen is poisonous to them? I don't know, but the thought of it all is pretty awesome.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have to wonder how they would know that this planet came from another galaxy. Galaxies collide a lot. Even in a near miss, stars (with planets) may be exchanged.

But how do you know the difference?

edit on 18-11-2010 by Cyberspy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Perhaps that's how planets are formed, when different swirls of mineral and heat and cold and pressure overlap each other, creating planets on the basis of luck and 'environmental disturbance'.

Allowing them to drift off into various parts of their respective galaxies.

Also am i correct in saying that recent scientists discovered that another galaxy overlaps on the tail of the milky way or something?

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

The Milky Way, which is a quite massive galaxy, is however capturing some small galaxies. Actually, there is a small dwarf galaxy that is being merged into the Milky Way right now! It is believed that many of such mergers have happened in the past, and people are trying to evaluate how many by looking at the kind of stars that we observe today in our galaxy. There are about 8 other dwarf galaxies close to the Milky Way that will at some time merge with it. And in a very long time from now, the Milky Way will collide and merge with the Andromeda galaxy, which is a galaxy very similar to ours. The result of that collision should be a large elliptical galaxy.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's great we can find more evidence of galaxy-sized collisions, it just shows more clearly how Change is the only Constant in our 'Universe'.

To be able to witness the entire collision of our Galxy with another would be an awesome experience. Although I suppose realistically we can only use a computer simulation for that purpose.. I hope someone makes one soon.. I'd love to see it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I read the article earlier today and the thing about is that our own Sun isn't part of the original Milky Way. Astronomers are finding out that we're originally part of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy. In about 5 billion years, about the time when our sun exhausts its fuel, Andromeda will begin to merge with the Milky Way.

Now here's the question I want an answer to. If everything has been moving away from one another since the Big Bang, why is Andromeda going to collide with us?

I think the challenge is going to be just what stars are part of the original Milky Way and what stars aren't. We could study the motions of the stars and plug them into a program to give their positions over millions of years into the future. What a job that would be!

We have any volunteers?
edit on 18/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

I find alot of things interesting, there's also something else that the scientist discovered alone with this planet.

I'll post the link asap.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Now here's the question I want an answer to. If everything has been moving away from one another since the Big Bang, why is Andromeda going to collide with us?

M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy) and our own galaxy are part of the Local Group. This is a collection of at least 30 galaxies that are bound together by gravity. It is only those galaxies outside the Local Group that appear to move away from us because of the expansion of the universe. Because M31 and our own galaxy are gravitationally bound, they "orbit" each other over periods of billions of years. This "orbit" will result in a collision several billion years from now, and the two galaxies will eventually merge into one.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Talk about violent...

new topics

top topics

join