It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving beyond conspiracy theory 101?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
EDIT: IF this is not in the right board could a mod please move it to the right one? I didn't know which board this goes in, if this is not the right place for it.

Hey, I've been a member here for quite a while. A thought just occurred to me. I have been using these forums quite a bit and I used just come here infrequently and I would make a topic every now and then. Usually I'd make a topic about various conspiracy revelations that I've had, and people here have their own beliefs about the false left-right dichotomy, or what's going on in politics.

It's just that I've been reading the board a lot lately and I find that more often than not I am finding myself reading the topics and not making my own topics. Of course I know that I don't have to make topics every time I come in here. That's not what I'm saying. But I used to make a lot more topics than I do now but I've realized that a lot of topics on here have been done before, so I'm reading the threads and seeing what's been done and responding to those.

So, but I was just wondering for the future when I make a topic... I was just wondering how I should go about doing it. I mean of course if I find some current event I'll post about it or if I notice something awkward in political discourse, and what people are saying and doing... I'll do that. But I was just wondering, how can I move beyond the basics? I just don't want to overrsaturate the board with topics that have already been discussed... like about the MSM, or about the fascist police state, or about how lobbyists own congress...

Could I make topics where I actually quote elites themselves and expose their own plans through that? I don't know... I am just kind of at the phase right now where I'm looking at a lot of ATS right now, and I am realizing that some of the most alarmist topics get a lot of attention and stars and flags... but like that's not what I want to do. I want to contribute discussion to the forums without making alarmist topics while at the same time not oversaturating the forum with what's been done before.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how I can be a better topic maker, or IDK, just a better poster in general and move beyond all the basics? I don't necessarily believe in every conspiracy theory and I am a skeptic on certain conspiracy theories... it's just that like I don't want to say all that's been said already, if you know what I mean.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Frankidealist35 because: Just left a note for mods

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Answering as a member here....

I have always enjoyed your threads and posts. I think there is little to actually 'change' to make, as you describe it, "better" posts.

Interestingly, what you notice is not just a 'you' thing. I always thought, somewhat optimistically, that this community and it's primary vehicle, the ATS forums, could be like the Greek forums of old. That is to say that any person can step up and speak their mind on an issue or topic, with the assurance that among those listening, your input can be reasonably expected to be met with respect and dignity, or at least tolerance.

Many here seek the experience of catharsis by venting their disdain and aggravation at the inanity of the main stream media, or the obtuse nature of barely concealed propaganda. The MSM is good for providing such opportunities, and since we a re a global collection of thinkers, we can see that this is not particular to the United States.

But sometimes we fail to explore more deeply the relationships and connections between the news we love to hate, the talking heads and their self-evident agendas, not to mention the occasional zealotry that bleeds out from time to time.

The "conspiratorial angle" has often become entangled with old memes about paranoia and fanciful extrapolation about speculation based upon theory. The conspiracy theorists can appear to lose themselves in moment, at times suffering from the cardinal sin of taking themselves too seriously, or failing to accept the defacto reality that their topic of interest will not change while they deliberate possibilities.

At times I would find myself bemoaning the lack of conspiracy theory in some threads and topics that were prime material for the consideration. But then I remember this is not about "my" OP, and if the conspiratorial angle is not welcome, I'd best consider posting my thoughts in a thread of my own making.

Perhaps a "Pure Conspiracy" forum would be a nice thing to see; assuming there was enough interest in it to justify the effort on the part of the owners, whom I can assure you, have plenty to do without our having to add to the list (though they welcome all suggestions - bless them.) However, in such a setting, one where all the threads in that particular forum were intended to explore the conspiratorial and not just the ideological, political, or religious institutional opinions, I can't help but imagine the plethora of 'trollish' input regarding tin-foil hats, psychosis, and paranoia.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind my thoughts - inspired by you - herein; especially if it turns out that I'm not quite "getting" what you are saying.

Whatever the outcome, don't stop posting. Acute minds are not meant to be silent.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Sure, select an aspect of life, any major one, and start questioning yourself about it, try to think of everyone involved at every level at every stage that makes that thing work, then scratch down a level and do the same thing, then scratch down a level and do the same thing.

Look for motive and opportunity, who really benefits the most from this aspect of society, and behavior. Who has the most to gain, what ultimately is it they are gaining. How does it fit into the grand scheme of things and support other aspects of life.

Speculate and theorize, and use your own intuition if that's really possible or likely, as you look at external events and circumstances to measure your theories and speculations against.

Take your time, don't rush it along, be thorough, leave no stone unturned.

Discuss it with some other deep thinkers you respect.

Then start thinking about how you could break this all down in a simple easy to understand way that starts with a foundation of premise and supposition or fact, and then builds on it slowly, step by step, taking the reader through each level and phase until at last, you have helped them see what you have pondered and completed the thought.

Then open it up for discussion by posting a thread. Try not to be so married to your theory you can't stand anyone else injecting or speculating about things, but don't be so cavalier, that someone hijacks the thread and turns it into a platform for something entirely different than you are trying to convey. That can happen quickly if you get a couple like minded posters trying to weave your theories into theirs. Pretty soon readers will loose sight of what you are trying to illustrate.

Be fair, but flexible and firm. Don't publish a thread if you don't have some time on your hands to stay with it as it first develops and nurture it along by being interactive. Try to be there to keep the discussion going, since after all it is your idea and conspiracy and if people have real questions, you are the person that they are going to want answers from.

Have some additional links you didn't put in the opening post, for those people who some how got programmed at the Golf Course "Got a link, got a link for that" and those who eat to much sausage "Need more links, need more links".

If you have a topic you think some other posters are particuarlly interested in U2U them when you first publish the thread, so you get some intelligent and genuine posters who really want to discuss it, to help you get that first page or two going, so when other members stumble across it at random they see that a thought provoking conversation is taking place.

Try to be polite to everyone even the trolls.

Rinse, lather and then repeat!

Good luck. This tape will destruct in 10 seconds, if you or any of your team produces a dull thread that goes no where, proto will disavow ever having given you this advice.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for the advice. I guess I can relate to a lot of ATS members than. I was just wondering what I could do to heighten the discussion. I suppose I'm not different from most ATS members here. I am kind of pissed off over a lot of what's been going on- not just over the past 2 years but over the past 10 years in general and I've kind of been going on with my journey for truth. I won't stop posting... but I just to still be able to address my grievances here like everyone else, but I want to do it in a way that reveals something new, and that isn't done in an alarmist fashion when it isn't needed. Does that kind of make sense?

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when I make threads.

new topics

top topics

join