It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Okay people the government is continuing to do what they want --- try looking at www.drudgereport.com - our freedom is in jeopardy

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by idealord
The bill has been killed by a hero senator from Oregon. Anybody here in his district, hell all of us, should call or write his office and thank him!

www.rawstory.com...

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
The bill just got blocked, thanks to my informants via Anon

Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, says the Combating Online Infringement & Counterfeits Act is the “wrong medicine” for battling online copyright infringement, and argues that if not done properly the “collateral damage would be American innovation, American jobs, and a secure Internet.”

Source: www.zeropaid.com...

I just hope the "guided missile" doens't do us all in....Alternative means to find how to do things is the best way to go as some of you have said. The internet is a friend to us all and sometimes it is the thorn in the side of the government... A two edged sword so to speak.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

arstechnica.com

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) sets up a system through which the US government can blacklist a pirate website from the Domain Name System, ban credit card companies from processing US payments to the site, and forbid online ad networks from working with the site. This morning, COICA unanimously passed the Senate Judiciary Committee.
"We are disappointed that the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning chose to disregard the concerns of public-interest groups, Internet engineers, Internet companies, human-rights groups and law professors in approving a bill. A controversial proposal allowing the government to pull the plug on Web sites accused of aiding piracy is closer to becoming a federal law.

After a flurry of last-minute lobbying from representatives of content providers including the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), a Senate committee approved the measure today by a unanimous vote.

(visit the link for the full news article)

This is now considered pirated material and has been submitted to the blacklisting committee for further investigation and review.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d9c27b7ca57.png[/atsimg]

Don't mess with the feds!

edit on 20-11-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I wonder how many threads the feds would blacklist on this site alone??? Giving TPTB the power to take over the internet is not a good idea....

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
PIRACY IS BS - just more government support for the capitalistic dictators and there lobbyists

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
We need a proper long term solution. Take the dns system off american hands and place it into china or something. Get those copyright nazis out of the western world where they only seek to protect their own business of 'protecting artist'.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
We need a proper long term solution. Take the dns system off american hands and place it into china or something. Get those copyright nazis out of the western world where they only seek to protect their own business of 'protecting artist'.

I'm not sure China has proven themselves to be the shinning beacon of the free trade of information. Maybe Switzerland or The Netherlands or Denmark might be a better choice.

Perhaps the best solution is to just decentralize the DNS system and enact the web of trust. Anyone can setup a TLD that joins the worlds TLD network and is filtered down to clients through a peer to peer system. Essentially you take the existing infrastructure to build the database, and client requests dns info from 3 clients in the peer group. Using an automated point system, any TLD server spitting out results which are unlike the other 2 will find itself demoted and banned from the network within minutes. New domain registrations would have to take place within the decentralized network, which would do away with domain for profit schemes as well. The domain owner could set a password within the registrar network to allow updating of his ownership yearly with all domains set to auto expire 1 year and 30 days after registration or updating.

Initially it would have to endure the obvious hacker attacks of trying to hijack the TLD network or brute force trust rankings to take ownership of a domain, but its not the worst idea ever. The secure site certificate system could not require any changes since the certificate is either going to check out or not regardless of the ip the domain sends you to, so it wouldn't harm banking or commerce. I don't foresee the added overhead having a significant impact on the worlds internet traffic since bit torrent and movie/video sharing sites are now accounting for a massive percentage (>50) of all internet bandwidth usage.

Its just a thought...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by depressed67

Originally posted by thecinic
Thank you tasim here is the blacklist/censor/Seized image.. Time to learn some new tech and how to

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3eebe1a009.jpg[/atsimg]

i love this image. ive been saving it for a while waiting for april fools day... lol

sounds like evil is rampant in the USA as it is here in the UK

I used it to get rid of one problem user on my board, that just did not get the message that he was not welcome on my web site. Before changing domain names, I merely made my old domain point to that government web site, and he swallowed the bait.

Anyone running their own web site might want to keep the IP address of that government server handy, just in case you ever get a problem user you cannot get rid of.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is what you get when you scream democracy please

dont believe me just look at eupore and its censorship's

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by serial
If ICANN allows the US government to block sites it doesn't agree with, there are other TLD's out there we can use. I cant imagine this is actually going result in anything happening on our end, but if the dns system comes under this kind of censorship ICANN will lose control of the internet as people use alternatives to keep it free. See here for information about alternative dns roots. goo.gl...

Ha ha. Blocked this fascist bill.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I can see an immediate application to sites like wikileaks that release copyrighted/pirated information. What a bad move. I foresee a huge snowball effect.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join