It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate-slaying COICA censorship bill gets unanimous support

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
As a musician with a full length movie sound track under my belt I have a right to say.
If I want to get payed I'll go PLAY, or dig a ditch, or engineer a show, or a recording....

You like my music AWSOME !
Take all you want, it doesn't cost me anything to make..

trade my free speech so some record company can rip me blind?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

PS man would I ever like to meet some of these ZIOfascisit clowns in the parking lot after a gig.....

edit on 19-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

I see your point, and thats great and all for YOU.

You cannot speak for every musician out there, for every software developer, for every production house.

Go and tell a classically trained violinist that they should have devoted their life just so some a-hole kid can download it for free.

I'm a musician also, and I have recently laid down tracks for some car commercials. I love music, it is truly my passion, and I would have done it for free just because I enjoy playing. I didnt make much anyways....But, I'm generous with my music because I'm lucky enough to have a great job. If I couldn't pay my house payment, and had creditors calling me all day, you can count on me trying to squeeze every last dime

Some things aren't worth what they charge, so in that respect I completely understand the appeal of just clicking your mouse to get stuff for free. But the fact that you think you will make a good living off of digging a ditch, when instead you could be compensated for your musical work, tells me you dont have very high expectations.

My brother spent almost $100,000 and 6 years of his life to learn the skills that eventually landed him a job at one of the biggest game developers. Go meet him in the parking lot and tell him you think the games should be free and thats why you pirated them.
edit on 19-11-2010 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Some of us are already ready!

Think of this as an opportunity to destroy them, and you too may have a whole new outlook on this situation.

Again, I can verify from some personal knowledge from others that more are ready and prepared for this than most know. We've been watching this for a long time now. I can expect many government networks, ISP's and the companies supporting this getting hit. Don't know exactly what WILL happen, but if anything gets hit but doesn't actually cause harm or damage to anyone innocent and it gets blamed on a country, prepare to roll your eyes.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Also I hope you're aware in our society, people can pay to put any of the #ty pop music out there involuntarily into your ear but you need to pay for the right to put some sound of your choice into your own ears.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

This is one war that WE THE PEOPLE can win.

And we will.

The real powers that be are going to regret this, and other things they are and have been doing.

Nothing to fear, it's all just 1s and 0s right?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

This is one war that WE THE PEOPLE can win.

And we will.

The real powers that be are going to regret this, and other things they are and have been doing.

Nothing to fear, it's all just 1s and 0s right?

How do we do that *win* this.... What kind of things can be done to be counter productive... I heard sandboxes can be used and you don't have to worry about a thing but what if they start putting people in prison for downloading a movie... Stealing something that ain't even there.... All this stuff is to deter ANYONE from going against the ultimate corporate elite RIAA and MPAA the biggest money goons around,

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Who wants to bet that one of the first Internet sites to be hit by the "anti-piracy" law will be Wikileaks for infringing copyright on government documents?

Being that truth will be target as terrorism, let's work out our codewords for the future so that we can communicate freely;

From now on, "war" will mean "profits"
"profit" will mean "war"
"peaceful assembly" will mean "send in listening devices to discover what the bastards are hiding."
"peace" will mean "grab pitchforks and tar, bring a chicken..."
"let the free market resolve this" will mean "put sugar in the COO's gas tank."
"trust" will mean "I'm talking on a line that is bugged, use the Pig Latin I described to you."
"meeting" will be "activate your cell"

We'll have a meeting later to discuss more about how we can better peacefully assemble.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Really? Do people come round your house and blast music through your letterbox? Seriously though, I don't own a radio so I have no idea what tracks are in the charts. I only know who "Lady Gaga" is because I've read about her in the papers. I couldn't hum a single song of hers. I have no idea where you're getting this idea that people are being subjected to listening to pop music against their will.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I've downloaded music. Back in the late 60's I had a 4 track reel to reel tape recorder. I used it to record songs off the radio all the time. With digital technology the way it is, recording songs off the radio again should be a piece of cake.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Thank you tasim here is the blacklist/censor/Seized image.. Time to learn some new tech and how to

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3eebe1a009.jpg[/atsimg]

i love this image. ive been saving it for a while waiting for april fools day... lol

sounds like evil is rampant in the USA as it is here in the UK

in 10 years time we'll allbe sitting back saying to young people, "i remember when the internet was free and you didnt need a licence to own a domain and a licence to publish, and content wasnt subject to the censorship agencies guidelines and laws" The kids will sit there with slack jaws saying stuff like, "Wow, that must have been cool" before logging back into their 2 hour compulsory brain download of govt propoganda c/o CNN.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

But registries for top-level domains in other countries would remain unaffected, and The Pirate Bay, perhaps as a precautionary measure, already owns thepiratebay.se. Americans interested in free (if illegal) downloads could switch to an offshore domain name service or visit The Pirate Bay's IP address at 194.71.107.15..., which means that this congressional effort might accomplish less than its backers would like.

Source.

There's always ways around it. I keep a log of the IP's of sites I frequent, just in case and there's places around to look it up...

I'll be damned, here's one now!

-TheAssoc.
edit on 19-11-2010 by TheAssociate because: Forgot the link.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Sorry, I have not read all postings but I have to get this out of my system.

If you think somthing is worth supporting, then pay for it.

Lookup or download and watch "Piracy is good" it pretty much sums up what the true nature of the problem is?

Shame on distributers and lazy marketing people their lost revenue it is their fault not mine or yours.

Dismantle the entire internet but I swear I'll never pay for a movie or buy music again.
I already don't subscribe to T.V as it is because of the feeling I get for paying for the honor of watching advertisments.

Reading books is fun and free from the library too, but ohhhhhhhhhh thats piracy too.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here's an e-mail I got today from this thing I'm signed up with.

Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send the Internet blacklist bill to the full Senate, but it was quickly stopped by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) who denounced it as "a bunker-buster cluster bomb" aimed at the Internet and pledged to "do everything I can to take the necessary steps to stop it from passing the U.S. Senate." Wyden's opposition practically guarantees the bill is dead this year -- and next year the new Congress will have to reintroduce the bill and start all over again. But even that might not happen: Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Hollywood's own senator, told the committee that even she was uncomfortable with the Internet censorship portion of the bill and hoped it could be removed when they took it up again next year! This is incredible -- and all thanks to you. Just a month ago, the Senate was planning to pass this bill unanimously; now even the senator from Hollywood is backing away from it. But this fight is far from over -- next year, there's going to be hearings, negotiations, and even more crucial votes. We need to be there, continuing to fight.

This won't pass... but what we do need to do is vote these people out who sponsored this outrageous bill! They should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good luck to America trying to shut down sites in China.

Love to see them try!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Apparently Senator Ron Wyden is doing everything he can to stop the bill and some think he'll succeed:

Wyden's opposition means the bill is likely dead this year. Individual senators can place holds on legislation, and there are only a few working days left in the congressional session this year. Sponsors of the legislation, including fellow Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont, would have to reintroduce the bill if it doesn't pass this year.

source

Though I'm not sure I agree with his logic for doing so, at least he's attempting to stop it:

"Deploying this statute to combat online copyright infringement seems almost like using a bunker-busting cluster bomb, when what you need is a precision-guided missile," Wyden said during a hearing on digital trade issues.

source

Not entirely sure I like the sound of the "precision-guided missile" approach, either; but again, at least he's trying to stop the bill as it is currently worded. Hopefully, he'll succeed.

-TheAssoc.

ETA: againuntodust beat me to it a couple of posts up.

edit on 19-11-2010 by TheAssociate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

actually, under most copyright law, distribution is considered a breach regardless of whether you were the original uploader or not. Once a person has a full copy of the original file, that person is also complicit in law for the distribution of copyrighted material.

as somebody else mentioned, its not particularly onerous to private sites, DNS resolves URL's against IP addresses, as long as you have the true server/machine IP you are connecting to you could still connect. If you really know what you are doing there is nothing to stop you creating individual torrents privately and sending this to a recipient who can connect and share directly with you - no external tracker required. Maybe localised "word of mouth" lists will be become utilised in light of this legislation.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The bill just got blocked, thanks to my informants via Anon

Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, says the Combating Online Infringement & Counterfeits Act is the “wrong medicine” for battling online copyright infringement, and argues that if not done properly the “collateral damage would be American innovation, American jobs, and a secure Internet.”

Source: www.zeropaid.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You artist ever think of coming up with your own law(s) something other than the copyrights laws on the books. There are enough of you artists out there to do this you know. Put some thought to it. There needs to be some new laws for artists, not corporate distributors or producers. I’m not an artist, but it clear in this day and age you artists need some of your very own laws.

The fact is the retail music industry is a dying breed, and these big corporate producers know it. They know the internet is the way all music and movies will be purchased and not .99 deals through some well known web sites either. Not the last stand by any means to control consumers and artists out there. Like I said you artists need your very own laws. Michael Jackson owned the beetles copyrights and music, his daughter will be living off the all the sweat and sleepless nights of the beetles music, and a very good life too. So how does this protect you the artist? Get the point.

Now, I can see how this might make it difficult for bands and video produces whom’ are not well known. I’m sure this will lead to blocking those free download sites for unknown artists at sometime or other. Some industry executive will say “hey! That band sounds like the one slaving for us. Shut that site down for copyright infringement.” I can see how this would not be a good thing. This law could be added to so very easy after it’s passed. Its bi-partisan corporate legislation.

What is our lame Congress and Senate doing even considering something like this? Shouldn’t they be working on the budget which has not been passed, not to mention the economy, and jobs? We the consumers don’t have the money to buy CD and movies let alone pay for internet service to download it illegally. For those that have internet service, we are not risking the fines. We have to eat you know.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The bill has been killed by a hero senator from Oregon. Anybody here in his district, hell all of us, should call or write his office and thank him!

www.rawstory.com...

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
The bill just got blocked, thanks to my informants via Anon

Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, says the Combating Online Infringement & Counterfeits Act is the “wrong medicine” for battling online copyright infringement, and argues that if not done properly the “collateral damage would be American innovation, American jobs, and a secure Internet.”

Source: www.zeropaid.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

How do we do that *win* this.... What kind of things can be done to be counter productive... I heard sandboxes can be used and you don't have to worry about a thing but what if they start putting people in prison for downloading a movie... Stealing something that ain't even there.... All this stuff is to deter ANYONE from going against the ultimate corporate elite RIAA and MPAA the biggest money goons around,

I don't think you quite understand.

Let me encapsulate what say, 20 years of internet and network security has involved.

You make a fence that can keep whats out there out. A day later something comes and hops over it.

Anything from software encryption to advanced network security such as the US government, China, Russia, and major multinational corporations. Oh yeah, didn't know they employed hackers? Yeah, also all those viruses you have? A majority were made by companies all over the computer market. Software, hardware, retail; not to mention actually stealing stuff from other companies.

Here's the biggest ticker though; most hackers don't work for individual companies. Most hackers either freelance or some even choose to cause havoc just for #s and giggles. Some hackers can do much more than they do. But one thing all hackers have in common; they are geeks and nerds. They are on the internet all day, every day. Hell, pirating? Nobodies truly concerned because we all know what ever measures they make there are people out there in the tubes that will find an exploit and crack it in no time what so ever. But they are ALL PIRATES.

And they all know each other. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of them. I'm not joking. Ever heard of DEFCON? Well, that's not the only security conference. They are all over the world. Every significant securities expert has likely personally met one another hell, the military and corporations go to DEFCON because they need to recruit these guys BECAUSE THEY CAN'T TRAIN PEOPLE TO DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE CAN DO. At the level we're talking about you transform simple hacking and security into an art form. Every line of code is significant as is the context of which.

You simply can't train the best of the best when it comes to hacking. And those people happen to hold loyalties to the internet as it is.
edit on 20-11-2010 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If ICANN allows the US government to block sites it doesn't agree with, there are other TLD's out there we can use. I cant imagine this is actually going result in anything happening on our end, but if the dns system comes under this kind of censorship ICANN will lose control of the internet as people use alternatives to keep it free. See here for information about alternative dns roots. goo.gl...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join