It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic Laws: Attention all drivers with a driver's license,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Should there be tougher traffic laws? Why or why not?

I think there should be EXTREMELY tougher traffic laws.

You must understand by now that owning automobiles is stupid. You must understand by now that leasing automobiles is stupid. You must understand by now that renting automobiles is stupid.

Reasons being?

You might hit and run, and be wanted by the law. You might violate the speeding limit and get yourself a speeding ticket. You might violate in ways where your driving previledge is suspened or revoked.

You should rather use taxis or local buses. Spare yourself the trouble those stupid things might get you in. Why pay car insurance? Add up the price over the entire year that went into a lease or owned or rented automobile. (include any parking or traffic tickets, include gas you purchased, include car notes or overall price, include insurance payments). Then add up a taxi cab rate based on the number of times you went out and came back to and from wherever by a vehicle owned or leased or rented, and base that on your own area soley.

Taxi driver is rather liable than you if you went with taxis instead. You will be missing TROUBLE you could get. You will not have to go into a gas station where you can get car jacked, ever again. You will not have to waste time fueling up at gas stations either. (Means: no more inhaling toxic fumes, if you have proper self-respect for yourself.) You will not have to waste time in the DMV for tags or renewings or etc.

Ask yourself this, what is the statistics on taxi cab drivers transporting passengers getting into accidents vs regular automobile drivers getting into accidents? Which is greater?

Back seat is safer than front seat. So where is your sense now?

Please, shy onward. Or please tell me how I shame all that are with stupid instead of with intelligent sense.
The awefully aged know their sense is FRIED, and they should gnash in misery toward my way.

edit on 18-11-2010 by XsameXoneXotherX because: Intell 22

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Might as well just commit suicide then and avoid everything bad in life right/??

If the only drivers on the road were taxi cabs and public transport.....then every accident would be down to them....so you still wouldnt be safe lol

Ive got a big roll of cotton wool if you want to wrap yourself in it????

edit on 18-11-2010 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Interesting,but this would never work for me as i have to run kids to school and pickup twice a day.I think maybe if one lives in a busy city where the buses run all the time it might be an option? I had an idea? why don't they make it so trains run North,South,East,West like a big cross through the city and then a track that runs all the way around the cross?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So you are say don't be a taxi driver ? They won't allow horses on many roads these days . Goverment has been pushing public transport for along time because they own it .Monopoly .

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In New York or Chicago, no problem. However, I live in California where the city transportation sucks!!!! Unfortunately, Car is only viable choice in California. However, State of California has promise by 2015, car will not be only choice to use in California. (California's high speed train will be ready in 2015) Until then, I am stuck with car plus all cost and penalty that come with it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by XsameXoneXotherX

not to try to be mean, or rude.. but...

Really? you must live in a pretty nice major city.

Tell ya what, I'll call the taxi to get to and from work only and you pick up the bill...
Its only a 80 mile round trip drive.

I'm pretty sure a car is much cheaper than taxi, and as for the laws and accidents, etc.
If you are a good driver you can avoid those problems.
I'm in my mid 40's and have been driving since i was 14 (farm license). My first car was a '66 chevell SS (wish i had that car still)
never had a accident, and only a few non moving related tickets in my life.

So basically you are saying, if we are to stupid to pay attention and drive responsibly then we should use a taxi or a bus system.

Seriously, you need to get out on vacation and visit the rest of the country, here the speed limit is 75 and there is a reason for that, there is a LOT of road between you and the next town.

What we need is a I.Q. test and eye hand coordination test for people before they are allowed to drive.
As for the laws, there are more than enough on the books already, they just need to enforce what is there and not try to just make quota.

edit on 18-11-2010 by severdsoul because: typo

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Ironically, the only hit and run I've ever been involved in, I was the passenger in a taxi. When I do go down into the city (Chicago) I always marvel at how CRAZY the taxi drivers are. A friend of mine who used to be a bike courrier was hit three times in two years by taxis. If anyone needs tougher traffic laws enforced on them in the city of Chicago it's the taxi drivers themselves. IMHO, they're a menace!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Haven't had a license ever, car neither. I prefer to take the citylimo.

Driving is for peasants if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Move to North Texas... With one extra passenger a taxi cost $8 bucks to go 3-4 blocks. If you're the generous type you hand the guy a 10 spot. Continue to add this up for trips to the grocery store, bank, school, and work.

A typical car payment is around $300. Full coverage insurance for a safe driver closer to $80. Under $400 you have a ride 24/7. Any questions?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We do need harsher laws. Right now when anything happens the insurance companies and the courts handle everything. There isn't really any real personal responsibility. The only people who should be driving are those who go out of their way to not have accidents. Of course the only legal way to measure this would be with the number of accidents had. For example; cause 3 accidents within a span of 365 days (not a year but a years worth of time starting on the the date of your first accident.) and you must take and pass driving lessons in addition to your license being suspended for say about 6-12 months(really depending on severity of mistakes made).

When someone has an accident They need to be "Held accountable" if in the wrong. Not only financially(insurance) . Maybe for every accident you cause you get an auto 3 week suspension. Or maybe a mandatory 2 months of community service. We basically need more personal punishment as an incentive for people to drive courteously and properly.

Yes these punishments would be very harsh on a bunch of people; but for those who are safe, They should have the freedom of higher speed limits and fewer rules and laws(within reason).

I know it may seem a bit incoherent but I'm really just trying to crystallize my thoughts. I can almost assure you If we show people their current inability to drive sensibly we'll see some changes on the road. We can do this by literally forcing people who "can't drive" to become better drivers. Fewer, simpler laws. Harsher, personal punishments.
edit on 18-11-2010 by ScRuFFy63 because: grammar

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by XsameXoneXotherX
Should there be tougher traffic laws? Why or why not?

I think there should be EXTREMELY tougher traffic laws.

You might hit and run, and be wanted by the law. You might violate the speeding limit and get yourself a speeding ticket. You might violate in ways where your driving previledge is suspened or revoked.

Why pay car insurance?

You will be missing TROUBLE you could get.

Laws? Being a person with no morals, why all the concern over laws, tickets, licenses, insurance, etc?

You will not have to go into a gas station where you can get car jacked, ever again.

You're right! Those damned, no moral having car jackers are such a nuisance!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I like the whole "such and such is stupid" theme you got going in your threads. Hot stuff! Not selling my cars or guns though....

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Arent you the same guy who suggested we all get rid of our "stupid guns" and obtain a sling shot or bow and arrow?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Are you high?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
People who reply to trolls are stupid!

and here's why :
You could spill a drink on your key board and get electrocuted;
while you are focused slackjawed on your monitor staring in disbelief at the interesting never seen before combinations of english words...
a ninja may sneak into your computer room and kill you with an arrow to the back of your empty senseless coward(ly) head. I have taken control of your feeble minds.!

Prove me wrong. You can't. Because you're old and have morals!

Is this really David Mabus?? The Nostradamus (depeche mode) guy?
edit on 18-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
UMMmm this is the same person in another thread telling everyone they are stupid for having morals, now you are advocating things that are right and wrong. I think you should go to bed now.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I just want to say, I have no family, no kids, just me. My drivers license expired in 1984 and I never renewed it. I have a Schwinn, double baskets on the back. Takes me anywhere I need to go. Can even take it on the train and go furthur. And I am 57 years young. I like the exercise, fresh air (I tend not to ride on heavily congested roads) and I have great legs

I love my bike. Twice I have almost been hit by people talking on their cell phones! Almost wished they had hit me, I could use the money. You should hear me when that happens, they get a long string of loud verbal abuse from this Kat.

I think elderly people who drive should have a driving test every 6 months. And really really crack down on people with cell phones, they ignore the laws and are a huge menace!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I think that it would make more sense to push for a better network of transportation.. in larger cities and like the Shinkansen in Japan.. it would be a much more effective form of transportation

Leave the laws as is otherwise.. I just got my license.. I don't need more to worry about.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Obviously...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That's great. And how am I suppose to get where I want to go when I live innawoods and there isn't public transportation? How about if I want to go somewhere that there aren't any county maintained roads? A lot of places I go require 4 wheel drive. I don't know of any 4x4 taxis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join