It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if Saddam is "not guilty"???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If I were assighned to be his lawyer, I would take up smoking. Only thing I can really do, is call for a mistrial, citing that the jury has a predertermined verdict. But first I would weasle out of being his lawyer.

But man if he is found innocent of all thsoe charges, someone over in Iraq will kill him.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
What defense could he possibly have? Besides insanity. You would have to be insane to do the things he did. Even if he calimed insanity that would mean being locked up forever, not aquitted.

I challenge anyone to list ONE that's realistic. I would be VERY suprised if anyone could.

He's toast, and I wouldn't be suprised if he started talking now that he must face Iraq law. I'm sure they will execute him in a grusome way, and that may get him wanting to make a deal to spare his own life. What goes around, comes around.

OK...start listing those defence strategies...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GriBiT

What I would do if I was his defence counsil is to have this trial moved to a neutral country. Out of the Middle East, and away from America. Get a venue where you can play without prejudice. Can't find that? Then how can he be tried? No win situation. I'm no lawyer but this could work. Remember he used to be a pawn of the American gov't. Maybe he has something on Rumsfeld. Use it.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

What I would do if I was his defence counsil is to have this trial moved to a neutral country. Out of the Middle East, and away from America. Get a venue where you can play without prejudice. Can't find that? Then how can he be tried? No win situation. I'm no lawyer but this could work. Remember he used to be a pawn of the American gov't. Maybe he has something on Rumsfeld. Use it.

Are you claiming he's innocent? America may have helped him to keep a balance in the region against Iran, but HE went over the top and became a monster. What is his defense? There is none. He did what he did and it cannot be denied! pointing fingers at others does not make him some innocent pawn, or is that what you're stating?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just introduced the idea that if you were his defense lawyer what would you do except for saying he's guilty. Noone is saying he's innocent. It's the same concept when a lawyer is defending another horrendous criminal.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Are you claiming he's innocent? America may have helped him to keep a balance in the region against Iran, but HE went over the top and became a monster. What is his defense? There is none. He did what he did and it cannot be denied! pointing fingers at others does not make him some innocent pawn, or is that what you're stating?

No, I'm not claiming that, I was just pointing out ways to get him off. Lawyers SUCK. Just remember that he used to be in bed with your politicians. Not mine!

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The evidence against Saddam is staggering. Its a solid case no matter where in the world he's tried.

I remember reading somewhere, that if hes proven guilty they were going to hang him, and they just reinstated the death penalty for almost every crime saddam commited.. so you can bet he'll hang.

Lets just hope the Saddam Loyalists dont somehow manage to overwhelm the US troops guading him and free the bastid!

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
From a U.S. standpoint, what exactly has Saddam done to deserve the death penalty ?
He never had the fabled WMD's, he wasn't involved in 9/11. The first Gulf War happened because he invaded Kuwait on the ok of Bush I through April Glaspie. This Iraq war started because...well, that's the 80Billion Dollar Question.
We've simply been trained to view Saddam as "the enemy". Cruel tyrant he may be to his own people, but we don't go executing every cruel tyrant on Earth. But then, the US DID allow Saddam to be in the position he was in, and played him against Iran. Saddam probably just knows too much. I'd love to see Saddam on live TV defending himself, imagine what might be said. Maybe he really did simply work for the US, and it's a double that we have in custody. Either way, as far as the US goes, crying for his execution seems absurd.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

No, I'm not claiming that, I was just pointing out ways to get him off. Lawyers SUCK. Just remember that he used to be in bed with your politicians. Not mine!

The U.S. is definately not the only country involved in those type of tactics, unfortunately it's the way the "game" is played...always has been and always will be. I still don't think your suggestion would get him off, not even close. It would just make it a circus and deviate from the real issues that should be involved with trying Saddam. It's not the U.S. that's on trial. We are on trial every day as it is! Besides, if you think the U.S. was the only country that had a questionable past with Saddam, you're dead wrong. Russia, Germany, France, the UN (just to name a few) have been and were up until a few months before the war. Some say even during the war. But that's a different subject all together. Not trying to get you riled up, just wanted to hear an original view as to how Saddam could possibly be "Not Guilty".

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croker
From a U.S. standpoint, what exactly has Saddam done to deserve the death penalty ?
He never had the fabled WMD's, he wasn't involved in 9/11. The first Gulf War happened because he invaded Kuwait on the ok of Bush I through April Glaspie. This Iraq war started because...well, that's the 80Billion Dollar Question.
We've simply been trained to view Saddam as "the enemy". Cruel tyrant he may be to his own people, but we don't go executing every cruel tyrant on Earth. But then, the US DID allow Saddam to be in the position he was in, and played him against Iran. Saddam probably just knows too much. I'd love to see Saddam on live TV defending himself, imagine what might be said. Maybe he really did simply work for the US, and it's a double that we have in custody. Either way, as far as the US goes, crying for his execution seems absurd.

The US isnt trying him. Iraq is trying him. They are trying him for mass murders, tortures, rapes, ect. The US have no case versus Saddam alone. But the UN has a slew of charges they can and will throw on Saddam if he is some how proven innocent in Iraq. So either way, if Saddam somehow slips through the Iraqi court, the UN will grab him and charge him with Genocide and a slew of UN resolution breaches.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croker

Sorry I posted before I saw your post....read my responce above. If your going to play the blame game, then blame everyone responsible! Even though, that doesn't give him a free ride to murder his own people. I can't believe some can rationalize based on anti-USA arguments. It's totally off subject.The U.S. and all the other countries that had dealings with this man did not make him do the things he did. Now he must face the conciquences of HIS actions, just like the U.S. has to face theirs everyday from people like you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join