It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless-benefits bill fails in House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Jobless-benefits bill fails in House

www.marketwatch.com

A bill to extend federally-funded benefits for long-term jobless workers failed to pass in the House of Representatives Thursday. To pass the House, the bill needed to capture two-thirds of the votes -- 258 lawmakers voted in favor of the extension, while 154 voting against it. Without an extension, long-term jobless workers will start losing benefits in coming weeks, with about two million cut off by the end of the year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
2 MILLION people will be basically HOMELESS in the next MONTH AND A HALF.

2 million! Maybe then people will stop taking the crap the government is subjecting people to and will start rioting?

Enough is enough... time for the people to rise up... A man is only free when he has nothing to lose.... and 2 million are about to be free men again.

So this bill costs 12.5 billion dollars. How many billion do Israel get a year again? 3 billion?+ Israel unemployment is 7.6%... so... why do they need that money? For war. Cut money to Israel and help the US citizens in dire straits.

Stop giving bailouts to banks, help the US citizens. Cut foreign aid to SAUDI ARABIA, which is run by fascists bastards, stop foreign aid to EGYPT which is run by fascists bastards. Stop foreign aid to Afghanistan and Pakistan, which receive the most foreign aid except Israel, most of the money end up in our enemy hands anyway.

If you cut foreign aid to Israel/Afghanistan/Egypt/Pakistan, you end up with around 9 billion $, almost enough to pay for the extension.

HELP US CITIZENS IN DIRE STRAITS.

But silly me, I thought for a second the US government was there to help US citizens when they needed help.

I watched the vote and most democrats voted for it and republicans voted against it...

So for now republicans voted badly 2 times on 2 bad bills.

One time against this bill... and one time for the foreclosure fraud override of Obama's veto.

www.marketwatch.com

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is sad news, but sure it will come up for a vote again like the last time and eventually be passed, they are playing games as usual..

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I am not big on government spending, but I see it like you do. As long as there is justification to send money overseas, but deny the people who provided that money the benefit of it first then our country is insane. Money should always be spent at home first. And if the people are in need that money should be spent to help our people first. In good times we can probably help other countries, but this is not good times. Our government has consistently put foreign nations and corporate interests first over the needs of the common person. Shame on them!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

2 million! Maybe then people will stop taking the crap the government is subjecting people to and will start rioting?

Enough is enough... time for the people to rise up... A man is only free when he has nothing to lose.... and 2 million are about to be free men again.

So this bill costs 12.5 billion dollars. How many billion do Israel get a year again? 3 billion?+ Israel unemployment is 7.6%... so... why do they need that money? For war. Cut money to Israel and help the US citizens in dire straits.

Stop giving bailouts to banks, help the US citizens. Cut foreign aid to SAUDI ARABIA, which is run by fascists bastards, stop foreign aid to EGYPT which is run by fascists bastards. Stop foreign aid to Afghanistan and Pakistan, which receive the most foreign aid except Israel, most of the money end up in our enemy hands anyway.

If you cut foreign aid to Israel/Afghanistan/Egypt/Pakistan, you end up with around 9 billion $, almost enough to pay for the extension.

HELP US CITIZENS IN DIRE STRAITS.

But silly me, I thought for a second the US government was there to help US citizens when they needed help.

I watched the vote and most democrats voted for it and republicans voted against it...

So for now republicans voted badly 2 times on 2 bad bills.

One time against this bill... and one time for the foreclosure fraud override of Obama's veto.

www.marketwatch.com

I understand you vent but when is enough "enough"? unemplyment is already at 99 weeks! Really. when should it stop? yes all the bail outs were bad and i do not belive in them. all those companys should have faild but they dident. thats why you had such a turn in the house on Nov 2nd.

this is the change we need. its going to hurt but we need to cut rope or else we all will be sinking with the ship

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

They don't need another jobless bill...
the powers that be are already hard at work stiring up another nasty little war that's sure to employ all those without
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

It is not at 99-weeks. 99-weeks are for those that pull 6 figure incomes. The average person working between minimum wage and $15 an hour probably only get less than a third of that. I personally only received about 23 weeks of unemployment before it ran out. They base it off income and the design of the system ensures those more highly paid will receive longer benefits. I say it is the ones who are lesser paid that need the more long term help.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is not news to me. I still live at home and my mom is one of those long term unemployed and her Unemployment checks will be ending December 4 because Florida won’t let long-term payouts go past that date even though she will still have $1,400 in her account. Even then if she could finish that $1,400 it would be early January when the checks run out and well I really don’t know what to say from that point.

I have a job but I don’t make much money and my dad has a job too and doesn’t make much money so without a third check coming in the bills can’t be paid and there will be no food since Food Stamps ended 3 days ago.

I am so glad these politicians can create this crisis then not even at least have the decency to help us through it. Well half of Congress are millionaires should we really expect them to give any care whatsoever towards the working or unemployed men and women of this country? People know who created this crisis and how our government is making them wealthier and millions of Americans become homeless? Well if shtf it will happen soon.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yep but there's no JOBS. They've all been sent to China by the US government and their policies.

I would say it's not that bad that unemployment is cut if the government was actually doing something to bring back jobs... which they aren't.

And the US government spends money on worthless stuff, so before cutting direct aid to the poor, what about cutting those programs first?

And it's not just 2 million people that are going to be homeless.

It's 2 million workers AND THEIR FAMILY losing income. And according to the census, there's an average of 2.59 people/household in the US... so you do the math. 2 million workers X 2.59 = 5.18 million people with no income.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

What a lot of people do not realize is when there are 2 million workers looking for jobs the economy sags. Many of those people will probably move in with others that have jobs. This will place a strain on spending as people shift to help their loved ones. More companies will lay people off as profits slump and there are no extensions available anymore so everyone now being laid off will get a few months of checks and that is it. Then it continues, a self-perpetuating nightmare. While we need a correction in spending of our government, cutting the people most in need is no way to handle the problem while spending billions for pet projects, research and foreign aid.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I find a sick sort of irony in the fact that the GOP house members that voted this bill down will still receive their health care, raises, salary and retirement courtesy of the US taxpayers. In essence they voted against the very people that supported them when they had jobs.

Cold, heartless bastards!

The GOP can vote for continued wars, Halliburton profits, and taxcuts for the rich but spit in the face of the jobless.
edit on 18-11-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As contrary as it may sound...I am still inclined to believe that this circumstance should meet the criterion to qualify categorizing our national economic woe as a DEPRESSION.

All those who say otherwise seem to be well-employed... oh the irony.

edit on 18-11-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Lets get the facts strait on the vote for this bill. The Democrats are still in complete control of the House and dont need any votes by Republicans to pass legislation. There were 11 democrats that voted no and 7 democrats that couldnt even be bothered to vote at all. 21 Republicans voted in favor of the legislation. This legislation needed a 2/3 majority to pass.
edit on 18-11-2010 by rlrsar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rlrsar

Funny that a bill to help the people needs 2/3 majority and any bill they want to rush through needs only 50%. When it helps the people they drag their feet. When it is to help corporations or foreign nations they change the rules magically.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

No, the number will actually be much higher than that. Those are the two million that will be cut off. Many, maybe even most of them, have spouses and children. So when those two million are homeless, their spouses and children will be homeless right along with them. So if half of that two million have a spouse and at least one child, then you're looking at least four million new homeless.

And that 2 million doesn't capture the total devastation of this economic depression. That's just the number about to be cut off. It doesn't include the millions that have already been cut off (who also have families) or the millions of jobless people who never qualified for unemployment because they were working part-time or had not been at the job quite long enough for the benefits.

The country has lost tens of millions of jobs. Each job loss represents a family. Most of those families remain destitute through no fault of their own.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rlrsar

Totally agree with you, both parties are responsible for this. But just look at the RATES at which each party voted for this.

Democrats voted at a 90%+ and republicans against it at a 90%+ rate.... So yeah Democrats control the House but needed 2/3 of the votes to pass this.

So even if ALL democrats voted for it + 21 republicans, it was still 14 votes short.

I'm not saying democrats are better, I'm saying democrats couldn't pass this on their own so this time, it's the republican's fault, there's no way around it.

And this thing needed 2/3 of the votes because it was brought under suspension of the rules, to ``avoid`` Republican bringing up a motion to recommit... so DEMOCRATS forced this to be a 2/3 vote.

So BOTH PARTIES are responsible here.

Republicans for not voting for it in enough numbers... and Democrats, for bringing it up by suspending the rule which forced a 2/3 vote which they knew wouldn't get enough votes.

Both parties are scum, this is just another proof.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Yep, that's what I said..

It's 2 million workers AND THEIR FAMILY losing income. And according to the census, there's an average of 2.59 people/household in the US... so you do the math. 2 million workers X 2.59 = 5.18 million people with no income.

It's a depression alright.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Quite a contrast right? Benefits are discontinued while Mr Wallstreet goes free, fully allowed to make multi-bullion profits at the expense of the average Joe. It's a sad world we're living.

new topics

top topics

join