It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you prepared for the Oil crash and the end of our current way of life?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project-Sign
reply to post by starless and bible black

Typically ignorant nonsense.
The kettle calling the pot black?
Fossil fuels are mostly made up of prehistoric fossilised plants, fossilised sea plankton and some fossilised animal remains too.
In your Progressive Communist Democratic dreams. Instead of ragging on anyone who says anything contrary to the lies you were indoctrinated with, why don't you go back to school, or better yet, read the latest scientific findings, online? The PTB can no longer control info and science like they can academia, and you would be smart to learn what they are hiding from you.

Please, learn something about the topic before you add to the discussion.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Project-Sign because: (no reason given)

And you, sir, are arrogant, condescending, and dead WRONG. YOU don't know squat, and you should be a tad more respectful of other input when it contradicts your indoctrination. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you are not one of the intentional liars but have only been misled yourself. And moderators, why are you allowing that kind of malignment? It is supposedly your job to not allow that kind of incrimination and slander.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

They are spending billions but what are they spending it on?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Starting in 1997, capital spending by major oil companies surged to $12.1 billion in 2001, according to the Department of Energy. Much of that spending was driven by mergers and acquisitions.

lets not forget profits:

www.columbiamissourian.com...

HOUSTON — As giant oil companies such as Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips get set to report what will probably be another round of eye-popping quarterly profits, just where is all that money going?

The companies insist they’re trying to find new oil that might help bring down gas prices, but the money they spend on exploration is nothing compared with what they spend on stock buybacks and dividends.

The five biggest international oil companies plowed about 55 percent of the cash they made from their businesses into stock buybacks and dividends last year, up from 30 percent in 2000 and just 1 percent in 1993, according to Rice University’s James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy.

The percentage they spend to find new deposits of fossil fuels has remained flat for years, in the mid-single digits.

oh, I almost forgot the lobbyist:

fuelfix.com...

Energy companies and trade groups spent more than $500 million lobbying lawmakers over 18 months when Congress was deliberating proposals to cap greenhouse gas emissions and give a boost to renewable power, according to a new report.

They aren't spending billions in looking for new resources. They are spending billions on making sure the gravy train does not get cut off.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

I found his original comment rude and dismissive, so I replied in kind. I'd appreciate it if you didn't edit my quote's to make it look like I've said something I didn't.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

Originally posted by Sly1one

I'm not necessarily saying we SHOULD use oil forever, however I don't agree in "peak" oil as a "limited" resource. There is plenty of evidence suggesting that it is a natural resource that is produced far below the earth's crust that renews itself over time. Kind of like a lubrication for the movement of the crust so to speak.

How fast is the renewal? If it renews as fast as we use it the it is a renewable resource that is sustainable. If it is slower than we use then the current use is not sustainable.

Exactly. I have been trying to research the viability of abiotic oil for several years now. Beyond the fact that I cannot find a credible scientist who believes in it, I am hard pressed to even conceive of it myself. But even if abiotic oil is true (and I'm not saying it is) I am loathe to accept the idea that the planet produces it at a rate of 85 million barrels per day -- which is what we use right now. If this highly subjective mechanism attributed to the theory of abiotic oil is a mechanism that can indeed conjure 85 million NEW barrels of the stuff per day into existence, then we'll be just fine. But if this magical mechanism (which I still don't believe in, but I will pretend for just the sake of this one post) can only produce 10 million barrels per day, then we're already at a deficit and will be heading into trouble very soon.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

www.youtube.com...

This guy has been making gas out of anything with carbon in it for years. I wish I could buy stock in his company. I think he started with turkey guts

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yes, I read a lot of data on oil, for investment purposes. That is precisely where I get my figures. Do you know about the latest big oil find in Texas? Or the Baken oil deposit? Or the Gull Island deposit? Apparently you need to do a little reading, and pay attention. And it is NOT my opinion, it is FACT. And the oil deposits on moons are not for us to go get, it proves that oil is NOT a fossil fuel, since there are no fossils present there. You can't see that? Oh, and my OPINION is that we will continue to have these kinds of 'challenges' as long as supposedly 'well educated' and 'intelligent' people continue to pretend they are smart and know better than anyone. Thats a veiled insult...since you couldn't figure it out on your own.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I would never try to make someone look bad by changing what they say. Most do quite well enough on their own demerits. I am simply trying to interject on your statements, and do not quite have it down yet. For that I apologize. I'm working on it. I thought it would be obvious to readers what was changed.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I don't think you understand what peak oil is about. Any recent 'finds' are irrelevant. Human oil consumption grows massively every year, as does the global population. Regardless of how much is found, the demand will eventually exceed what's available, as the decline of reserves continues. Will Oil magically spring up from the centre of the Earth to bail us out? I won't hold my breath.

And what's all this 'thinks they are smart and know better than anyone else' nonsense? I've said nothing of the kind, merely making points and sticking to them. I'm sorry if you find me arrogant or whatever else you think I am, but there's no need for insults.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Project-Sign because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You boys need to play nice before the mod shuts you down. We can agree to disagree, that is what these forums are for- open expression of ideas and opinions with out too much ugliness. Yall are going to scare a nice southern lady like myself out of here!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Guys, the relationship that humans have with oil consists of three parts.

First we FIND the oil.

Second we EXTRACT the oil.

Third we USE the oil.

And after we use it, it's gone, and then we have to start all over again with #1. And the funny thing is we are unable to take these three components pf the human-petroleum relationship and either skip any of them or switch them around from their current order. We MUST do all three steps, and we MUST do them each in their proper order.

And so, the time to start worrying is when Step Number One suddenly starts getting very hard, or else ceases entirely.

And then the time to panic is when Step Number Two likewise starts to get very hard, or else ceases entirely.

And you know that the time will have at last arrived for WTSHTF when Step Number Three start to get very hard, or else ceases entirely.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Plot Device because: typos, typos, typos

edit on 19-11-2010 by Plot Device because: typos

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

You mentioned oil-investments,, u have to know that the U.S dollar is tied to a barrel of oil, so as a home owner my Oil Heat fuel costs are STILL nowwhere in line for what they SHOULD be as a matter of fact they went up,, a distillate that costs on aver. of .35 cents if i told u what i paid at this end u would puke,, but anyway,, so if the U.S dollar is crashing,, its peg is staying $70.00 mark,, should my price be a hell of a lot cheaper or is hyper-inflation already started??

edit on 19-11-2010 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by summerbreeze.ddp
reply to post by MegaMind

www.youtube.com...

This guy has been making gas out of anything with carbon in it for years. I wish I could buy stock in his company. I think he started with turkey guts

Thanks for the video. That was certainly interesting. If that number he throws out is true it could amount to half the US' current needs. But I have several thoughts, concerns or questions. Is he getting that number from all the pre-existing garbage or is he getting his number from the current annual garbage? When he says the gas extracted goes back into the plant does it supply all or only part of the plant's energy needs for the conversion? And if just a part how much? I know you don't have these answers just thinking out loud. It looks like a good idea in any case and could maybe buy more time. Eventually, if the human race can learn to live without continuous growth, technologies like this could provide us with sustainability.
edit on 19-11-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Heck yeah I'm ready!!!! I either can't tolerate, don't use, or wouldn't mind going without-everything on that list.
Except maybe balloons..... who doesn't just love a happy red balloon? It is only greed which has brought most of these unneccesary items into the world.

We have to return to our roots. Mother Earth won't take much more and she is calling for a return to the gentle ways. Our sustenance is in the soil, keep your ear to the ground to hear the ancient stories. We will learn the natural ways again..... it is the only way to survive here.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Bottom line - I disagree with the premise forwarded by Rupert and his crowd of fear mongers. His language and proposed reformations parallel the NWO plans a little to closely for my taste. I don't buy the nightmare scenario.
I do agree that it would be better if the world found better solutions to our energy needs; if nothing else it would free us from the evil energy consortium.
Ultimately, for any meaningful change to occur, a paradigm shift is required; not just how we view energy, but how we view the world and our place in it. There is an argument to be made, that the industrial revolution began our decline as a species. Oil has made everything in the modern world necessary. It has produced an excess in all things - more food, less work, previously unattainable luxuries, faster travel - as a consequence it has created more demand for it, and an ever-expanding population.

We as Humans are very good at adapting. I have confidence that we will change as a matter of survival. We recognize that there is a problem; our natural instinct for self preservation will provide the answers eventually.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Smack because: klumsy wording.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Actually Peak Oil is a fraud invented by the Rockefellers to make their oil more "scarce". The Russians have proven their abiotic oil theory and have drilled super deep wells in every country they have tried them in including Vietnam where they said there was no oil. The Russians say the Earth produces oil constantly at depth and that's why even old fields that are abandoned begin to produce again decades later. Say the Russians are Liars? I don't think so! They are NOW the #1 oil producers on the planet so I think that they're super deep wells are doing pretty well.

Oh and one more thing that everybody needs to look at. A 94 Dodge Pickup running on hydrogen from 100% water. Yep, just like Stanley Meyer did, these guys did it too and have the video and truck to prove it. Truck has gone 3,000 miles without a drop of fuel! The oil economy is a FRAUD! The US government has hidden this technology for 50 years! This is the video that the SHILLS will attack but pay them no mind. This is NOT the first time this has been done! Enjoy

www.project.nsearch.com...

Peak oil! That's a good one! You can run your cars and house on water right now! This is being done by people all over the world now. Anybody that says it can't be done is either a shill or hasn't done the research!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Some have only bought firearms, to take from those who prepared, but did not buy firearms...

In short, firearms FIRST.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
considering MBZ kind of just grew a car, I doubt there will be this "end of world" scenario you describe.
but don't take my word for it

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

what about synthetic oil.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Oh look....

Another cataclysm thread...another prediction....

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I read a very good book titled "The Long Descent" by John Michael Greer a few years ago. It was about the end of the industrial age, and more notably...the end of peak oil. It was a very good read for anyone interested in learning more (or hearing one man's opinion).

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join