It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you prepared for the Oil crash and the end of our current way of life?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

What's with the rude response? That was well thought out and placed. I shouldn't even be wasting my time - yet just because he stated a theory or his belief - that wasn't even a debunk, it was a "duh so what" -

ATS is an intimidating site. Would a semi-intelligent "new" person want to make a thread if s/he knew there'd be rolling eyes and yawns?

Just an idea. Live and Let Live... concerning peak oil: While I can not give out dates - or data - if you look at the times of our peak-production look at the economic situation and wars... just, interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Um it's pretty simple to find population growth... I mean google has it for Christ's sake.

Here: www.google.com...:USA&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+change

So now that we can clearly see the US population has dropped from 1960... what say you now?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

Sorry i just wanted to get more information on the planets/moons with oil you talk about. I am unaware of crude oil being found on moons or planets within our solar system, apart from Earth of course. I have heard about Moons with high amounts of hydrocarbons in one form or another (Methane for example) but never a supply of crude oil which is made up of a multitude of different hydrocarbons and various impurities.

As for the Russian wells refilling, well apart from this being disputed you should take into account the nature of the wells themselves. It does appear that reserves which are contained within porous rock can refill because once we drain it the stuff that saturates the rock gets released and so partially refills the well.

Either way we need to find alternatives to oil. The entire way in which our civilization lives is unsustainable and every single respected body says so. Our population is continuing to swell, we are polluting more and more every day. Forget global warming for a moment and just consider the quantity of nasty chemicals we pump into the environment. We poison ourselves and other animals with heavy metals, pesticides, fertilizers and tons of other rubbish.

Most products are not built to be recycled and that in itself is a problem, but we are learning the error of our ways, slowly. My hope is that more people will stop buying new stuff and instead buying second hand, repairing things where they can and using things until they actually break instead of buying something new because what they have isn't in style anymore or is a little scruffy.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bagel

I have seen your video.
Like the previous poster said, there are many factors involved, and not all countries will experience the growth that America had seen.

America had seen? Past tense? Growth continues. We aren't at zero yet

US population growth rate

Also, when third world countries become more modernized do they not consume more? China? India?

The math is clear, nice video. To assume that every person will require the same amount of oil over the coming years is not realistic.

If population growth stops and people use less oil then it will go down.

You do realise that OPEC manipulates production to maintain the price of oil?
AND...Do you think that oil reached 150 dollars a barrel because of a shortage in production?

Yes, clearly prices are manipulated and that video shows that past price manipulation is what has led to the extension of the oil peak. In fact prices have risen heavily since the 90's as we approach the predicted peak oil.

I say again, Iraq is not just some offshore oil reserve. 12 million barrels a day will make it the worlds largest producer.

Its one minute to 12:00 maybe we can extend it to 12:01 ....

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Someday oil will be gone but we will have moved on to other energies. People in those times will look back at our current age and see pictures of our cars etc. and they will smile with nostalgia, much in the same manner we do when we look at black and white drawings of paddlewheel steamships. However that being said, there will still be plenty of war and famine to go around, afterall its what Humans -do-.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

Um it's pretty simple to find population growth... I mean google has it for Christ's sake.

Here: www.google.com...:USA&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+change

So now that we can clearly see the US population has dropped from 1960... what say you now?

The population of the US dropped from 1960? Do you know how to read a graph?
That graph shows percent of growth over the previous year. The growth has slowed but continues to grow. It went from just under 2% to just under 1%

Maybe this graph will help you
Pop of US

for Christ's sake learn to think and read.

edit how bout this one census its from 1960
edit on 19-11-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Like this: www.nissanusa.com...#/leaf-electric-car/index

One of the first ALL electric cars to go on the market. 100% electric unless I'm mistaken, so we've already started to turn over a... sorry for the awful pun but leaf.

link   
I have been saying - and I'll say again - we don't need oil right now. We have overunity devices in black ops. We have electrogravitics in black ops. We could get rid of money - which is merely the accounting of energy expended. With an effectively infinite source of energy (overunity), we can have infinite money...which means that we won't need money at all.

Please take time to read some of my posts and my free ebook linked in my sig. I explain why this is so and illustrate what this world could be if we all put forth whatever effort we can towards the goal of having abundance for all (and no taxes, to boot!).

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Learn to think and read? Well I'm sorry I took precent of change as percent of population dropping. But it does equal that we've had smaller growth in the last 50 years then we had previously. So everything you were talking about, such as population growth needing to be slowed etc. is already happening. At least in the USA.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

Learn to think and read?

Sorry, that was a bit harsh - you just misread the graph. But you did imagine I was an idiot didn't you?

Well I'm sorry I took precent of change as percent of population dropping. But it does equal that we've had smaller growth in the last 50 years then we had previously. So everything you were talking about, such as population growth needing to be slowed etc. is already happening. At least in the USA.

True enough, but we aren't the only ones consuming. What about China? And India?

BTW, The percentage dropped 1% but the remaining 1% is still being applied to a number much larger than the one in 1960. At 1% it will double in 70 years. One person's lifetime. 78 years, to be specific, at the current rate. Can you imagine the US with twice the population as now? Imagine your city or town twice as big. Where I live they can't build the roads fast enough.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
"Peak Oil" is total BS. I'm glad to see a few good posts refuting this nonsense, but it still looks like the majority buy into it. Not surprising, since the oil companies wield tremendous power, and have been at the forefront of creating many-a-myth, with the goal of keeping us enslaved. Peak Oil is just one of many myths they have spun for the sheeple to believe.

Because oil is one of the primary tools the elite use to keep control, we actually should EXPECT that we're fed nothing but BS when it comes to something so important.

For those who have so far refused to investigate the matter, start with the concept of ABIOTIC OIL. It's actually not a new idea, it's not a Russian idea, the oil companies have been fully aware of it, and it's implications, for decades. In the 1960's, Big Oil had already spent some years trying to gauge the impact of what they were documenting. Very old wells (initially noticed in Pennsylvania), that had been tapped out, and capped, were found to be "full" again.

Rather than rejoice at their good fortune, they instead realized what this implied: That oil really was so plentiful, that if the truth got out, they couldn't charge 10 stinking cents for a gallon, let alone what they were planning on. TPTB had already settled the matter, that oil was to be central in population control, and indirect taxation, so the truth had to be buried. The survival of the US dollar hung in the balance, since one of it's main props was the agreement that oil must be traded in dollars only, worldwide. Look it up, if this is new, but wars have been fought, literally, to preserve dollar hegemony.

To make matters worse, technology was making it so that gigantic oil discoveries could also undermine the overall plan. Alaska is a prime example, with legislation conveniently rolled out, under the guise of protecting the environment, etc.

Recently, the Gulf Oil disaster, as someone already pointed out. It's an indication of the reality that doesn't quite fit into the oil company propaganda about how friggin' "precious" their product just has to be. Yes, it is quite precious in the sense that it is literally the most useful commodity in the history of humankind. But Mother Nature apparently had a sense of humor on this one. In this case, it seems that this invaluable commodity was provided in ABUNDANCE. Truth be told, it could be, "practically free".

That last part is the scary reality that emerged, and it literally threatens to over-turn the elite applecart. They have invested a lot of time in our present paradigm, and by all appearances, they aren't letting go of it easily.

Here's the "counter-intuitive" thing about it. "Global Warming", another oil company fraud, along with the corresponding "carbon economy" of iron-fisted population control, and indirect taxation, has stepped into the foyer, and may be how they plan on maintaining the level of control they have come to enjoy.

Rest assured, the reality of cheap oil, will once again rise, but when it does, it might be that our masters have already accomplished their "bigger plan", to create a worldwide Plantation, where their slaves won't care where anything comes from anymore. Once they can relax in their "Utopia", their many frauds to keep the sheeple dumb enough for submission won't matter anymore.

Lots to this issue, I hope others can see a "bigger picture" here...

JR

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Sadly Megamind most on here are exactly that... idiots. Although I do have a great deal of respect for quite a lot of people here, the goons outweigh the greats. I also apologize for insinuating when I shouldn't have, you have gained respect from me as well for the apology. Also I agree that if population keeps growing at this rate people will be living on top of one another. Although a solution to the matter isn't going to be easy or for that matter civil.
edit on 19-11-2010 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Not to be morbid, but there was a dude that did a study comparing human population growth to a malignant cancer. Here is your zero growth...

for the full paper:

www.drhern.com...

SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE HUMAN POPULATION AND A MALIGNANT PROCESS
The five major characteristics of a malignant tumor are: 1) rapid, uncontrolled growth; 2) invasion and destruction of adjacent normal tissues; 3) metastasis, or distant colonization; 4) de-differentiation, or loss of distinctiveness in individual cells and tissues; and 5) production of toxic metabolites. The development and mediation of the first four characteristics in human society by human culture is described in two previous publications (Hern, 1990, 1993).
In a malignant tumor, the presence of at least two of the first four major characteristics establishes a diagnosis of cancer; the human species displays all four. Elimination of two of these characteristics, including halting population growth, would not change the diagnosis.
We see now that there are other parallels with a malignant process:

In a cancer, the rate of cell production exceeds the rate of cell death, and the rate of tumor growth may briefly become hyperexponential (an increasing rate of increase), a characteristic displayed by the human species until recently;

The rate of world population growth may be declining, partly due to declining birth rates in some populations. However, while this is reassuring for some, it has a parallel with large malignant tumors, which also experience a diminished growth rate in the terminal phases. In a tumor, the cell death rate begins to exceed cell production rate because the tumor’s metabolic needs exceed the diminishing capacity of the host organism. In humans, increasing death rates
could plausibly reflect an aging population, increasing levels of pollution, declining nutrition, and a global atmosphere diminishingly suitable for human life.

I hope that this will not be how we end up. I have faith that people will wise up before it it too late and TPTB get us down to a small enough population that they can easily control.

edit on 19-11-2010 by summerbreeze.ddp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

Alarmists have been saying we are about to run out of oil since the late 1800's.

It will never happen.

They fail to take into account the effect rising prices have on oil exploration.

Geological theories that say oil comes from organic remains are utterly ridiculous. Oil is abiogenic in nature and there exists enough of it on this planet to last us nearly till the end of time.

Further, even if supplies were to dwindle, the rise in prices would spur the creation of new energy sources in direct proportion to the decline in oil use due to cost.

There is no need to do or worry about anything because market forces can solve any problem that arises in the production of oil.

Any attempt to destroy oil production through regulation or taxation does nothing except harm consumers and waste resources.

edit on 19-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Peak oil is as big of a problem as global warming is. They are both made up, to see if we are stupid enough to let them be used as an excuse to milk us dry of our wealth, and then our freedom.

Sustainable energy is quite readily available and with recent advances in solar cells, we have what we need to produce en-mass high efficiency cells. Follow physorg and you'll see that not only can they manufacture nano-pillars to do this (with specific shapes, they are as easy to make as IC's are -- just like current solar cells although as nano-pillars they are cheaper because they use less material than current solar cells.

The technology already is here. Don't let people tell you that it'll cost you everything you have to be at one with your environment -- it is these greedy capitalists that made you a problem and now come to you with their burdensome solution. You don't have to sacrifice a thing to get there, these shysters are only fooling you. Business and government are only fooling you for their own ends.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Ok...you might not realise just how much oil 12 million barrels per day is.
It is enough to cover both the Chinese and Indian present day requirements

In my previous posts I pointed out that Western Iraq is yet to be exploited.
Peak oil theorists point make predictions based on discovered oil fields, and explored regions.
Western Iraq is unexplored - estimates are anywhere from 10 to 50 billion barrels.

As for 12:01 - I am not expert, nor will I pretend to predict the political/environmental/social/economic lanscape.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

reply to post by bigyin

There is actually excess supply in the natural gas market at the moment. Qatar's North gas field (very big) has undergone a lot of development and is is producing in large quanitities.

Once Iraqi gas fields are developed, this will drive prices down even further.

If you are interested, take a look at the Shell LNG refinery in Qatar. I think it is the biggest in the world.

Ok thanks for the info. I will look it up.

Whats the explanation for the 25% increase in gas prices this week in UK ..... greed ?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by summerbreeze.ddp

Man, I hope that analogy is wrong. That's grim.

On the other hand I don't see the human race a tumor on mother Earth. There is no reason that we can't live in a sustainable peaceful way on the Earth. I am definitely not one of those that thinks we are unwelcome guest.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Ok...you might not realise just how much oil 12 million barrels per day is.
It is enough to cover both the Chinese and Indian present day requirements

That is the whole problem. That kind of thinking does not take into account a steady growth rate in the consumption of these two countries. Really watch the video all the way thru the 8 sections. It's 11:59 .... tic toc

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Nonsensical propaganda. First, peak oil don't exist because oil is not a fossil fuel, the Earth is constantly producing it. Google Russian scientist by the name of Nikolai A. Kudryavtsev.
Two, overpopulation has been the cry of the so-call NWO, illuminati, or whatever these folks call themselves who believe in eugenics to downsize the Earth population of so-called "useless eaters". If certain areas of this planet were left alone (no manipulations to cause conflict or covetous behaviors of others stealing resources), and be allowed the same information and technology as the rest there would be no starvation or crippling poverty much less talk of overpopulation.

Why worry about something that don't exist. If oil prices go up or oil is made very limited you can be sure it had nothing to do with the oil drying up. It's about greed and power over the masses.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join