It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops bust seven men playing chess in upper Manhattan park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Cops bust seven men playing chess in upper Manhattan park

www.nypost.com

Drop that bishop and come out with your hands up!
A squad of cops in bulletproof vests swooped into an upper Manhattan park and charged seven men with the "crime" of playing chess in an area off-limits to adults unaccompanied by kids -- even though no youngsters were there.
"Is chess really something that should be considered a threat to the neighborhood?" Inwood resident and mom Joanne Johnson wrote Mayor Bloomberg, the City Council and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly after the raid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 11/18/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Once again we see the abuse of power given to those who wear a tin badge! This is a prime example on how are country is becoming more like a police state...controlling the people instead of patrolling and catching the " bad guys ".
I think these cops have seen one to many episodes of TJ Hooker!

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Comments from the story claim:

Fox=GOP

11/18/2010 10:34 AM

There is heroin in the chess pieces.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

They don't want residue near the children.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

THAT is reaching! Well, no. I'm sure all three of the chess sets in MY home are just coated in heroin.

Cuhail

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Not to mention, all of my sons gaming boards are coated with particles of coc aine??

Your right, that is really reaching?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is outrageous... So this is what it is coming to? Can't play a friendly game of chess in the park? I guess chess is only a game we can play in jail...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------
EDIT:

Oh I see... So there are particles of coc aine in the pieces..... may I ask why?
edit on 18-11-2010 by Mizzijr because: Didn't read before posting... sorry.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Damn, innocent chess players just got pwned!

Its always black and white with the police isn't it? Ahh well there goes your freedom, checkmate.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
And if there are drugs present on those pieces? Do we imagine that the kids are going to go through the park licking and sucking the pieces? (Sorry if that was too graphic for the adults here but it's clearly just normal behavior for kids...) Maybe the kids need a good sorting out if that's the kind of things kids do in the city.

Once again, the situation has been skewed by the besserwissers. Why does anyone listen to them anymore?!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would tell the judge that I would take the same penalty as the cops who arrested me. After all, they were in the same area, they weren't accompanied by children, and they even had guns in a public park.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think it's a situation where NYC is cash strapped and the police are looking for any reason to give out any kind of ticket to try and close the deficit gap.

What I can't understand is that the area is for children but an adult can't be present unless accompanied by a child. This was done to deter pedophiles? Who is responsible for coming up with these laws in NYC? Are they saying that pedophiles can't be accompanied by a child to gain access? Shouldn't it be the other way around that a child can't be there unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.

It looks like the NYPD mentality is "Lets go and harrass these old chess players. They won't shoot back!"
edit on 18/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The ticketing of these gentlemen for basically "trespassing" on a public area is ludicrous. Playing a game of chess, the locals state that they play there all the time and their children even took lessons, is nothing more than police harassment and a waste of the city of NY's money.

Upon further reading in the comments to the source I found this and feel it is quite apropos:

BumperPress.com

11/18/2010 3:10 PM

Here is what the DA found when he viewed the surveillance tape. One of the white pawns complained he was constantly being groped by a white Bishop. The white King sacrificed his remaining Bishop to another square to coverup the growing scandal. However, the black King was having an affair with the white Queen who had castled her rook to evade being found out. The black Queen became furious at the deceptive move and put the white King in check. The white King avoided mating her because he was gay. His wife, the white Queen, dispatched her favorite Knight to guard her flank and forced a check so she could mate the black King. Meanwhile, the abused pawn moved up and was crowned King. He immediately had the pervert Bishop whacked. The police moved in and arrested the new King and charged him with murder. The white Queen was charged with soliciting a Knight for the purpose of commiting a fraudulent checkmate.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

Save money, NYC Police Department...use your cops for REAL CRIMINALS...btw, you may not have to look too far, they are closer than you think...

~holly
edit on 20-11-2010 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
To be fair to the police, they were just doing their jobs, arresting people on the game.

One of em was even playing with himself

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Good
now the chess players are gone.
and so are their cell phones.
the Park is now safe for the drug dealers to move in.
can't make no graft offn' no chess players

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They are saying that the pieces had traces heroin...so is that one of the reasons they were arrested. If that the case they better start arresting all of us, cause almost all the money we carry around has traces of some sort of drug on it.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lspilot6946

Wherever there are drugs the Guns seem to follow, its getting hard to find a nice quiet place to play chess.

new topics

top topics

join