It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspected Bomb Bound For Germany Is Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This Breaking news comming in from BBC News www.bbc.co.uk...

Also sky news news.sky.com

A suspected bomb has been found in a suitcase that was about to be loaded on a plane bound for Germany from an airport in Namibia.Germany's Federal Crime Office (BKA) said the suspicious baggage had been seized at the international airport in Windhoek before it was loaded on to an LTU/Air Berlin flight to Munich.

The device,which reportedly included a detonator and timer but no explosives, was found on Wednesday - the same day Germany stepped up security measures because of a feared terrorist attack this month.

A suspect package containing a detonator, batteries and a ticking clock was found on a suitcase checked onto a Munich-bound plane, German police have said.

This comes as Germany has been put on high alert .

The bag was detected before it could be loaded on the flight from Namibia.

The flight was delayed for several hours but landed safely at Munich on Thursday morning.

On Wednesday, Germany increased security amid intelligence pointing to a planned terror attack in the country.

It is not known if the latest discovery was part of this attack, says the BBC's Stephen Evans in Berlin.
Security increase

The German Federal Crime Office (BKA) is sending experts to the Namibian capital, Windhoek, to examine the package.

It was detected at the luggage screening point prior to loading, said the Namibia Airports Company.

It is not yet clear whether the material in the package was explosive.

"We are still investigating the suspicious object," a Namibian police spokesman told the BBC. "It's too early to say if it's terrorist-related. We will only pronounce when the investigation is completed."

Seem like its happening again.
edit on 18-11-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/18/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed source link

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
so what exactly is the use of having a bomb with no explosives. it wont do anything. a detonator, a ticking clock and some batteries.

suspicious to me. almost certainly done by government. all of these # ing bombs on planes have been bs

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well lets just hope this is the 'concrete' terror threat coming to fruition, and not just a diversion.

Bad times all round for air travel I'm certainly not looking forward to my next trip to the airport!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Oh, how very coincidental that this is found on its way to Germany where the protests against the full body scanners are strongest.

Strange how these terrorists always seem to turn up just when TPTB need a bit of support.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well the germans have been all high alert and getting ready for an attack. I have a thread about it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The question is if they only found the detenator and timer, then wheres the bomb?

Stay safe.
ALS

CX

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before you are not allowed to take an alarm clock on holiday with you?

If i travel i always have batteries and an alarm clock, one that ticks too (cue scary cartoon ticking bomb music) so does that mean i am always in possession of bomb parts?

I'm surprised that modern day terrorists still favour the "ticking clock" as part of their bomb making equipment, however i guess it makes for the most scary image for the public.

As for the lack of explosives, i think someone failed cooking at their culinary school.

CX.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I expect well be seeing tyhese things all over the place now.They are cheap, and easy to make, and can be slipped into the transportation stream anonymously or not as needed.
When they loose their scare value theyll probably set one or two off.......

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
yeah ..same like the printer toners with blackpowder..

uselees terror bombs to excuse the "new" laws...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Oh, how very coincidental that this is found on its way to Germany where the protests against the full body scanners are strongest.

Strange how these terrorists always seem to turn up just when TPTB need a bit of support.

I had the same exact thought earlier when I first heard about the expected bomb threats. Sure we're in Afghanistan. But when it comes to international relations, Germany's fairly moderate compared to some of the other world powers.

There hasn't been a recent event, as far as I know, that would cause terrorists to target Germany specifically. I don't know, it's all weird. Why would you fly in the detonator for a bomb through a bloody airport? To gain publicity when it is found of course.

Seriously, if they really wanted to cause damage, they would build/attain/buy their equipment locally and then do something. Terrorism is a bloody farce, or the terrorists are complete idiots. Even Star Trek illustrated better terrorism in its fictional worlds.

Honestly, I can't see many people as being actually afraid regarding terrorism. The economy is a much bigger threat and political obfuscation a larger concern.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Tarrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok

Originally posted by wcitizen

I had the same exact thought earlier when I first heard about the expected bomb threats. Sure we're in Afghanistan. But when it comes to international relations, Germany's fairly moderate compared to some of the other world powers.

There hasn't been a recent event, as far as I know, that would cause terrorists to target Germany specifically. I don't know, it's all weird. Why would you fly in the detonator for a bomb through a bloody airport? To gain publicity when it is found of course.

Seriously, if they really wanted to cause damage, they would build/attain/buy their equipment locally and then do something. Terrorism is a bloody farce, or the terrorists are complete idiots. Even Star Trek illustrated better terrorism in its fictional worlds.

Honestly, I can't see many people as being actually afraid regarding terrorism. The economy is a much bigger threat and political obfuscation a larger concern.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Tarrok because: (no reason given)

Yes, absolutely - and they use these 'terrorist' sacares to distract attention from that too.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This thread is very interesting and I would like to add some points to see if someone could clear up some information regarding this alleged test to security protocol.

I am aware that there was only a detonator and a timer in the laptop bag. If that somehow managed to make its way on to a the plane, could it have been possible to construct a bomb on the airplane using other materials smuggled in by another person?

To me this seems very strange because as bag was detected, and then later linked to a U.S company which makes products used to test security.

I wonder if a bomb had been constructed on the plane and detonated, would the same outcome have occurred?
Would that same company have come forward saying that it was their test kit, combined with explosives, which caused the explosion?

If a plan was in motion by some government or organisation to detonate the bomb this seems like a perfect way to deny everything seeing as they failed and they have the easy way out now by saying it was just a test device.

Interestingly, I am aware of a great deal of uranium mining occurring in Namibia and there are plans to open new uranium mines.

source

It scares me to think that there could be a possibility of somebody turning Namibia into an 'unstable' or 'terrorist harboring' country for the sole purpose of acquiring this uranium. I can assure you that Namibia is a lovely place with amazing citizens who rarely ever experience conflict and violence. The last sentence being based purely on numerous visits and holidays to Namibia and therefore, my personal opinion.

Maybe someone can offer some more insight, and shed some light on this subject and ideas.

Many Thanks

new topics

top topics

join