It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you kidding me??!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
God promised...

'The planet won't be destroyed by global warming because God promised Noah,' says politician bidding to chair U.S. energy committee.

I'm really out of words. And this guy might chair over one of the most powerful committees in the US. Nothing against religion, everyone has the right to be religious, but dragging it into politics and ultimately business and all our lives is WRONG!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It's about as convincing as the evidence for man-made global warming and all of its impending cataclysms. Perhaps if we could stop basing our metrics off of decade-old readings of a faulty sea-level monitor in China....

That said - of all the things this politician could have said to logically disarm the global warming argument.... that is the only thing most people on either side of the fence could comprehend.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Wow, and from Illinois. We're talking Chicago here. I can imagine how pleased the majority of voters in Illinois are.

I was sure this would be a southern congressman. This goes against the grain.

However, some of his points are valid. Such as the cap & trade criticism etc, and the general fallout caused by restraining the lower & middle classes needlessly. He should have stuck to that instead of going off on a biblical tangent, thus voiding anything he ever said then and from now on.
edit on 18-11-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
"But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men." 2 Peter 3:7.

"But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Peter 3:10.

Sounds a little worse than mere "global warming"!

God only said He wouldn't destroy the earth again by flooding,

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Seemed like our country did much better when people of Christian faith were the majority. Look at the amoral monsters running the government today. This country was not founded on religious freedom. It was founded on Christianity. They didn't kill American natives or enslave Africans; those were power mad atheists hiding behind religion,

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I don't understand why people don't think we're causing global warming or the destruction we're capable of as a species. I'm not religious, at all, because that means I'm ignoring my responsibilities as a human being to, not only society, but to the planet...excusing my responsibility and leaving it in the hands of a God that I don't even know exists.

Originallyposted by Aim64C
It's about as convincing as the evidence for man-made global warming and all of its impending cataclysms. Perhaps if we could stop basing our metrics off of decade-old readings of a faulty sea-level monitor in China....

Who said anything about sea-level monitors in China? What does that have to do with global warming?

Originally posted by On the Edge
God only said He wouldn't destroy the earth again by flooding

No one is saying the Earth will be destroyed by rising oceans.

Originally posted by thewanger
They didn't kill American natives or enslave Africans; those were power mad atheists hiding behind religion

Just like those Atheists who killed Arabs and burned witches? Are you suggesting Christians never had slaves?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thewanger

This country was not founded on religious freedom.

Ummm...actually, it was...you might want to look into it...

2nd

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This is...

I think it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard a politician that's actually been elected ever say.

Ever.

I mean, object to the science for legitimate reasons, go ahead. But 'because God told Noah' doesn't fly in the public discourse, especially when a lot of people consider Noah as a fictional character.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Seemed like our country did much better when people of Christian faith were the majority. Look at the amoral monsters running the government today. This country was not founded on religious freedom. It was founded on Christianity. They didn't kill American natives or enslave Africans; those were power mad atheists hiding behind religion,

Can't believe that you and the 3 fools who starred your post never heard of the 1st Amendment...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So yeah...the US WAS founded on religious freedom.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All it takes is $55k to get "god" on your side too...'cause that's how much Shimkus received from the oil industry.

Source

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Not only is this guy scary because he's so religious he's also scary because he doesn't know his religion well.

God promised not to flood the Earth again in Genesis.. what exactly does that have to do with Global Warming? I've never heard any projections about Global Warming that say the entire Earth is going to flood, I mean even if all the ice melts there wouldn't be enough water to flood the entire Earth (someone ought to explain that to the Congressman, who apparently believes everything he was taught in toddler age Sunday School).

Might as well be sitting there saying that Jesus will swoop down and punch Global Warming in the face if it threatens Earth

I can usually tolerate global warming denialists but when they start blending fundamentalist religion into it

edit on 18-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is fkn insane!!!
My first reflex was to laugh... but this is too dangerous to laugh about and exactly why politics and religion should always be strictly devided!

...This country was not founded on religious freedom. It was founded on Christianity...

How come you dont know the First Amendment??? I know it and Im not even a US citizen!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WfknSmth

And a lot of people don't even realize they're being manipulated by politicians who access their religiousness. Like blind, brainwashed zombies...

Can we PLEASE put logic/rationality above blind belief again?
edit on 23-11-2010 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

top topics

join