It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble images of the Moon - where are they ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
what happened to all the pictures the Hubble telescope took of the Moon ?

there are only 3 images on the Hubble website...

Aristarchus Plateau - hubblesite.org...

the mosaic with Copernicus - hubblesite.org...

and this one of the A17 site - hubblesite.org...

all the other images on the Hubble website and NASA webpages are imaginary manipulated scenes they created with the 3 above images ! LOL

hubblesite.org...

there can't possibly be only three images ? where's the rest of them

i'm not looking to debate Hubble's capabilities and resolution of the images or the conspiracy about how NASA said for years the Moon was too bright so it couldn't be done, i am only wanting to know where the images are and if they can be found online.

so far i have only found this functional data on the "MAST" website but no images
archive.stsci.edu...

does anyone know if there is a online data base where the images are accessible ?

edit on 17-11-2010 by easynow because: add link

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I could only find the ones you mentioned using google. I really don't know where else to look. They probably have not finished the final editing for public release.

AP News Story
Jan 15, 2011 - Houstan TX

After 10 years the original NASA Hubble team found a usb flash drive in a a petty cash lock box. After careful examination the team unlocked the highly sophisticated encrypted file finding the long lost pictures of the moon that were taken by the Hubble.

Ben Dover (NASA Photo Expert) stated that the files had been damaged while trying to break the encryption and much editing had to be done to render these photos viewable. "It has been a long hard road but we finally got it done and are pleased to release the first of 4 photos that had been temporarily lost", said Mr. Dover.

edit on 17-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

HAHA !

that's hilarious and made me laugh.... thanks

your probably not far from the truth there ! LOL

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I seriously have been looking since I first read your post and I am striking out. Hopefully a pro will chime in and set the record straight.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The pics are hard to find because there really aren't many.

Hubble was designed to track stars and objects really far away. The moon moves too fast in relation to the telescope, so while there are some pics out there (if you look hard, you'll find plenty of them), they're not going to be very spectacular.

Similar reasoning is why you will not find any Hubble photos of the Earth. The shortest exposure time is too long to get any clear pics.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by daraSD

The pics are hard to find because there really aren't many.

thanks for the reply but how many are there ?

(if you look hard, you'll find plenty of them), they're not going to be very spectacular.

how can i "find plenty of them" when you just said --> "there really aren't many" ?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Sorry to confuse!

In the grand scheme of things (i.e., compared to the total number of Hubble images), there "arent that many" Hubble images of the moon.

If you Google appropriate search words, with patience, you will find plenty. Sorry, I don't have time to count them.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by daraSD

Sorry to confuse!

no problem

In the grand scheme of things (i.e., compared to the total number of Hubble images), there "arent that many" Hubble images of the moon.

how many pictures of the Moon taken by Hubble have you seen ?

If you Google appropriate search words, with patience, you will find plenty. Sorry, I don't have time to count them.

we all know there are plenty of Hubble images,

and you know darn good and well we are specifically talking about the Moon imagery here

i think maybe you want to change the subject for a reason ?

edit on 18-11-2010 by easynow because: not sure

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hubble's focal length is set to focus on far away objects -- it does not do very well up-close.

In addition, although Hubble's resolution is good (0.1 arc seconds) it is not "great". At that resolution, Hubble's Moon pictures would come out to be about 100 meters (about 300 feet) per pixel. We already have pictures of the Moon that are better than that, so why use Hubble's valuable time taking inferior pictures of the Moon?

Hubble's superiority as a telescope is not necessarily in its resolution, but rather in its light gathering capabilities. That is to say, Hubble can get spectacular images because it can train its equipment on one precise spot in the sky for a VERY long time (hours, days, even weeks) and be able to gather enough light to see a far away object that is too dim to see with ground based telescopes.

There are many ground based telescopes that have a higher magnification (larger mirrors) than Hubble, but they CAN NOT continually view on one precise spot for days at a time in an efficient manner.

The bottom line is this:
It's the light gathering that makes Hubble spectacular, not magnification. That, along with the focal length, makes it a poor tool for viewing the Moon in detail.

edit on 11/18/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

thanks for the reply Soylent but

what does any of that have to do with me wanting to find pictures that have already been taken

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

thanks for the reply Soylent but

what does any of that have to do with me wanting to find pictures that have already been taken

I'm just saying it's not a good tool for viewing the Moon. Therefore, there are very few images...
...perhaps you already found most (if not all) of them???

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I'm just saying it's not a good tool for viewing the Moon. Therefore, there are very few images...

saying Hubble is "not a good tool"

doesn't prove in any way shape or form "there are very few images"

do you believe only three images exist ?

edit on 18-11-2010 by easynow because: spell

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

do you believe only three images exist ?

I count four here (maybe only three -- is one just a close-up view of another?):
hubblesite.org...
actually, the Copernicus mosaic shown here (that you already provided) is technically several pictures)

a couple here that you already provided:
hubblesite.org...
hubblesite.org...

So, depending on how you count them, I suppose there are only four that I can find. There may be more, but I only looked for about 10 minutes

saying Hubble is "not a good tool"
doesn't prove in any way shape or form "there are very few images"

Well -- yeah, I think it does.

Why use the wrong tool to take pictures of the Moon? Why use valuable Hubble time (for which astronomers clamor) taking a lot inferior pictures of the Moon?

For example, weather satellites are capable of taking pictures of the Moon (I suppose they can -- they can be pointed in that direction). So why aren't there pictures of the Moon from weather satellites? The reason is that a weather satellite is the wrong tool for the job. Why would you use a weather satellite to take pictures of the Moon? That's not what they were designed to do.

Hubble was not designed to take pictures of close-up bright objects, such as the Moon. It was designed to be able to gather the VERY dim light of far-away objects. So why use it to take a lot of inferior pictures of the Moon? Sure it CAN take pictures of the Moon -- and a few pictures could be taken to see what results it would yield -- but why devote a lot resources to doing so?

That's why there are probably very few Hubble Moon images. It wouldn't shock me if there ARE only three or four (counting the Copernicus mosaic as one). Perhaps there are more, but, if so, I doubt there are a lot more.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus
reply to post by easynow

AP News Story
Jan 15, 2011 - Houstan TX

After 10 years the original NASA Hubble team found a usb flash drive in a a petty cash lock box. After careful examination the team unlocked the highly sophisticated encrypted file finding the long lost pictures of the moon that were taken by the Hubble.

Ben Dover (NASA Photo Expert) stated that the files had been damaged while trying to break the encryption and much editing had to be done to render these photos viewable. "It has been a long hard road but we finally got it done and are pleased to release the first of 4 photos that had been temporarily lost", said Mr. Dover.

That date is odd. Where did you find a AP News story with a January 2011 date? That NASA story is a lie. Why would they need to encrypt images for storage? ....Just trying to justify their PhotoShopping of space.

If NASA doesn't work for the public and release images as taken, they need to be defunded. If we wanted photoshopped images of space we could do it ourselves.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

You missed the joke, focused on the "date", missed that the city of "Houston" was misspelled.....

And you didn't even notice the name of the "spokesman"???

ALL that, and then a rant about "defunding" NASA??

Way to go! This is what makes ATS worth it, sometimes.....
edit on 18 November 2010 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
...That date is odd. Where did you find a AP News story with a January 2011 date? That NASA story is a lie...

Yes -- it is most definitely fake. I doubt there really is a photo expert at NASA named "Ben Dover" (ya know -- as in "Bend Over")...

...the again,and this is the truth, I once knew a guy named "Seymour Weiner" (pronounced "see more weener").

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

That's why there are probably very few Hubble Moon images

since neither of us can back up our beliefs with facts (yet) this is a moot argument and probably best to let it go

the Copernicus mosaic shown here

where are the data sets they used to create the mosaic's ?

are they already accessible online somewhere ? that's what i am asking.

ultimately, i am sure i will have to contact the "Hubble team" to access the data, i just thought since there are many knowledgeable people here on ATS , i would ask for help here first.

thanks for your posts ..cheers

edit on 18-11-2010 by easynow because: spilled coffee

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

That is what I was thinking too. Usually the release the raw photos somewhere. I really keep striking out. I really have been trying but I can't find anything.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Good point easynow! Good point! S&F.

You really want know too much about our Moon....

Go in Tycho Crater on Google Moon (Kaguya HD image) and take a closer look. South-East rotation.

Sometimes, something slip out.............

top topics

join