It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About catchy laws and law makers: Gun owners and would-be gun owners,

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
There are many alternate methods to killing someone/something, true.

I am not exactly against the use of any one of them. A knife, used properly, will take the life of someone before they realize they are under attack. The same with a bow and arrow, firearm, cruise missile, etc. The weapon is not as important as the method.

I would usually prefer to avoid loud things (firearms), as it's a liability in my preferred method of combat (an oblivious target). Loud noises tend to attract attention to people friendly to a target - and therefor create more problems than I am able to dispatch. The best way to dispose of a target is in a way that leaves the target unaware they are dead, let alone their allies.

Every weapon has advantages and disadvantages by comparison to each other. An arrow will pierce most non-ceramic armors with ease. Poisons can kill quickly or slowly, and have much less "smoking gun" factor. Firearms have long ranges and high rates of repetition. Missiles and ballistics have unparalleled range and destructive potential. Knives are only as loud as the person they kill, and can be employed with a high degree of accuracy and surprise.

What works well in one situation could be a horrible choice in another.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XsameXoneXotherX
reply to post by seeashrink

What about the trigger locks required by law to have on all firearms in household? A guy with a bow and arrow not required by law to have one of them locks on it, should be quicker to strike a home invader than someone who has to have a lock on the trigger by law. It's not wise carrying a firmarm on your person in your home since accidents can happen. A bow hasn't even got the arrow already loaded, but can be easily loaded when you're ready to use it.

Plus, how many cases have you heard of guns in homes being found and then accidently killing children vs bow and arrows being found and then accidently killing children? Get back to me with the statistics.

Good luck unlocking the trigger lock when someone breaks in your place.

Accuracy in blow is about 100 yards with a nice bow and arrow, even though they can send arrows arcoss further. No way am I getting into a situation that requires me needing something with a 500 yard accuracy. Those ranges are for when you are in an army in a war. I tell you this, if a war broke out on American soil, I'll go over to Canada with ease. I don't fight certain wars just because the U.S. got themselves into them. I have my reasons. Not only that, but the U.S. government gave me a pass to not ever have to fight in any of their wars.

If Native Indians way ago made due with primative bows and arrows, then today's modern bows and arrows should do better.

A smart man with a gun or no gun will not go get into a gun fight. Note the way someone who breaks in has to hold their gun at first before aiming VS a home owner with a bow and arrow that holds their bow and arrow while awaiting the person who has broken in to step right into their strike zone? If you have a gun you will think to act stupidly such as go to the persons who has broken in. That extra guts a gun may give you can get you killed. You need to postion yourself safely and await for the target to come in range when they've broken in. A bow and arrow should give you the feel to do just that in the first place.

It would depend on your gun laws. Where I live trigger locks aren't required.
Do you really expect responsible gun owners to give up their guns for a bow and arrow?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
So, if I want to keep my guns someone might call me stupid? I can live with that. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my gold-plated Desert Eagle can separate someone's knee from their thigh.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XsameXoneXotherX

Thanks for the advice, but I'm guessing you're not a big history buff. Here's the thing. The bow and arrow deal didn't really work out all that well for the indians. Huh. Firearms are generally considered an upgrade in weaponry. Good luck with that, though.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

After reading your post again, I'm assuming you don't own a gun. After you come back and dispute this, I'm going to continue to understand you neither own orknow nothing about guns.
Let me see if I've got this straight. You're in your prius. a guy walks up and yanks your door open holding a six inch blade in your face. Is that the point at which you say "give me just a second. Let me get set up with my bow and arrow. you'll reach into the back seat, grab that big old bow, retreive an arrow from the quiver, slip the slot over the string, (uh oh, wait til I put the roof down, going to need a little more room here) , ask the dude to step back a few feet, then...what....let her fly? Really?
Your kids would be safer with your sister. At least she could hit the dude with her purse.
Seriously though, I'm surprised we didn't just use slingshots on D-day. That would have scared them. If only Oppenheimer had realized we already had the slingshot, there would probably have been no need for the atomic weapon.
Seriously though,
You see......In many states it's not illegal to walk around with a gun strapped to your hip. Or in your front seat. Loaded.. It's called open carry. Some of us even have conceal and carry permit. That means It may be strapped to my shoulder holster under my jacked and unknown to the perp. These rights are given to us by god and upheld in the second ammendment. Perhaps you've had no exposure to fire arms and are intimidated by them. I suggest you go to the gun range and get some basic instruction. Because if you really feel some false sense of security from "packin" a slingshot, I fear it may get you seriously injured.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Fool-Proof

Why would a sharp shooter get into it with me?

Why go for deer if you're a hunter? Why not go for a bear? They will aproach you, you know? Which means with a bow and arrow you'll have more game meat to sell. Hunting bear will make you a man VS hunting deer. And you're more a man with a bow and arrow than with a stupid gun.

I think you just rated my first ever "ignore"
congratulations

Already a "man " thank you very much: Who says you are more a "man"?? "dead" man perhaps; what are you 12? Neither bear nor deer just fall over and die after an arrow shot. I 'll stake my center fire guns against your sticks any day.
Guns are not "stupid" they have no human characteristics; They are simply tools for a job.

Even with a rifle shot being in the neighborhood with a wounded bear is asking for a med-evac helicopter ride.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Claims, but no proof that I know not anything on guns, laws, law makers, bows and arrows.

Good luck trying to prove anything against the OP or any post I posted in this thread. Good luck to all that cop out, too. Good luck to any which made no come back over anything I said but resorted to other petty direction.

Remember, guns are stupid. Bow and arrows are intelligent.

Oh Thats right; after forcing myself to read through this drivel I see :" you are a
self-proclaimed "NINJA"
You really have no clue "son"; Quit trying to proffer advice" to people on the basis of your armchair fantasies.,

Say no to guns. And you all which purchased guns, don't get upset just because you see how stupid buying a gun actually is because of all them laws law makers got over gun ownership and gun shots. Did you all know, that it is illegal to fire a firearm in a building? But there is no illegal B.S. on launching an arrow in a building. Funny how I got the final word of much merit over anything many of you said.

So you guys that claim to know laws... Hahaha.

Listen "michaelangelo": The only time a self defense gun should be fired is to prevent the imminent LOSS OF LIFE. In which case "can't fire a gun in a building" and the other stupid rationalizations" are worth all of secondary mouse farts.

You have taken on and continue to defend an indefensible position. In fact I don't care if I am "arrested for some technicality" because myself; my spouse or kids are alive and they wouldn't be other wise.' This is deadly serious business you are making a mockery of.

ADD:

And do know that gun laws change. So if your state is not tough with strict gun laws right now, what makes you think it'll stay that way? Far as I'm concerned, EVERY state is held captive each time politians vote on bills/laws to pass. They sure keep you on your seat after you paid all that money for a good gun. But with a Bow and Arrow, no politian can KEEP you on the egde of your seat with any bills/laws that may or may not pass. Keep this FACT in mind.

I'll NEVER buy any ITEM that will make me be held CAPTIVE by what B.S. law makers THEN WANNA SAY GOES HENCE.
edit on 17-11-2010 by XsameXoneXotherX because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Do you see what is wrong with that yet?

You can keep a bow and arrow in your car with no weird license. No license weapons are in!!!

Why buy something with a trace log or track log on it?

"Wrong"? If you have no morals, there is no "wrong". Why do you worry about "weird license". "trace log or track log" or "fingerprints" if you have no morals anyway?
edit on 18-11-2010 by WTFover because: Forgot to address the "wrong" part

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

ok heres the senario kid,
the first person you can find in real life that owns a gun, challenge them to a dual. suppose they accept, who do you think is gonna win. now you may say that would never happen. well theres a better chance of that happeneing then my gun being taken away cause i shot a "homie".
i have multiple guns so say one does leave my possesion, i have more to take its place. How much does the average bow go for? how about the arrows? Can you get an arrow for .23 cents? think not. i just got a box of 9mm hollow point for that price per round. Fairly cheap if you compare it to an arrow. one of my guns that i conceal carry is a keltec .380, price on that was around $280. pretty cheap in terms of self defense, and it fits in my pocket without anybody knowing its there. So now were back to your bow, how does it compare? thats right, it doesnt except that you will get in just as much trouble as anybody else if you shoot someone with it. Me, i know that if i ever have to pull one of my guns on someone hat i will have made the right decision, and while the trouble may be temporary i will have been justified in my actions.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
He's not coming back to debate you guys anymore.
He's probably on 4chan laughing to his buddies how he won "the game" or something.
Like I said before "obvious troll is obvious" Stop feeding it

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beholdblight

Why do we get sucked into such time wasters?
Surely there's a psychological/behavioral lesson to be learned there.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Why assume that anyone with half a brain buys their firearms from a dealership and leaves a paper trail? This is why it is vitally important to continue to allow legal sales between private parties & at gun shows with no paperwork needed (and likely why the government so adamantly tries to steal that right.)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

This is the most brilliant post I have ever read. You are a genius. You are extremely qualified to be a moderator. Just like that guy with the snake on the flag. You would then have authoritiii.
edit on 18-11-2010 by astrogolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Let me try:
Guns are tracked/logged simply because they are not toys.

By the way in my state bows are controlled along with guns and "destructive devices" by the dept of natural resources. Bows need to be "cased" the same as firearms in vehicles..

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Bows should be tracked and so should cross bows, if your gonna purchase them form a store. private sales should remain private. I release its easy for criminals to get there guns thru private sales or theft but the rest of the population shouldnt have to suffer due to the criminals.
And the OP needs to be evaluated by a phyc, unless of course he is a child ( which seems probable).

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join