It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women are voluntarily stepping into body scanners.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

$300 extra for the feature? In this economy? Wow. Now mind you I've never been a jeans fan, I've just never cared for the feel of denim against my skin. Likely most of the women that will be able to really afford that feature, are the ones that can afford a different Lois Vitton bag for each day of the week and can afford a lot of Ralph Lauren Black Label pieces. I can only dream...

I heard on the news yesterday that Walmart, Gap and another retailer who's name escapes me at the moment that they expect clothing prices to rise by 30% next spring due to the higher cost of cotton.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProvehitoInAltum

No, no - I meant the cost of "premium" jeans is now ranging $200-$400 - I just went with $300 as a "typical" price for "good" jeans since it was in the middle range... sorry for the confusion in the post.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I actually have a helpful tip! and maybe an explanation as to why people try on alot of clothes, especially form fitting things. And, this also makes any 'scan' or even measuring yourself useless as well, and why one really has to try on clothes.....

When most clothing is cut, the fabric is cut in large piles, hundreds of pieces maybe. So the ones at the bottom and the ones at the top are not really even close to the same 'size'.

You might know your measurements, and these may correspond to a 'size' - but the size on the clothing label is really nominal. These things are not cut to precise super close tolerances or anything - just envision it - or go look up more info. This is how they do it though, and this is why sizes can vary greatly. And you might not notice it so much in looser fitting clothing.

Goes for all clothing, even towels and things - look at and compare some of the exact same things - some are much bigger than others, some are not even "square", etc.

This is why, with some items of clothing, people do 'try on' alot. You have to. The cut and sewing of clothing varies widely, among the exact same pieces even, including higher end clothes. Alot has to do with how pieces are cut.

So forget the body scan that might tell you a 'size' that probably means nothing anyway. You have to "try on".
Or, find a clothing line that has consistent sizing and order from them.

edit on 18-11-2010 by Whiffer Nippets because: typos.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 18-11-2010 by Whiffer Nippets because: double post

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by ProvehitoInAltum

No, no - I meant the cost of "premium" jeans is now ranging $200-$400 - I just went with $300 as a "typical" price for "good" jeans since it was in the middle range... sorry for the confusion in the post.

Nothing to be sorry for! As a non jeans wearer I've never actually bothered to price them decades.. I had no clue that the cost for premium jeans was so high! That's truly shocking to me. I've got a punk/goth style so my usual choice in pants are skinny legged cotton twill pants by Tripp which only cost me $44 a pair, fit great, breathe well and are really very comfortable.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wow. I did not expect this many responses. Thanks.

I'm not sure what this machine is actually capable of. Whether it makes a naked picture or not, I don't know. But I'm sure that, for some, this would take all of the fun out of shopping. I do understand what you ladies go through to look good. As I said in my previous post, my girlfriend punishes herself to make a pair of jeans fit "right". She works as a bartender and when I give her a hard time about some of the things she does to look good, she replies "Tight pants and lots of cleavage equals BIG TIPS". And I can't argue with that.

I for one, have no problem with walking through one of these TSA things. If it can prevent someone from bringing something dangerous on to a plane, then it means that I will arrive safely. Metal detectors can be circumvented. Stone Knives And if the person operating the machine gets a look at my junk it doesn't bother me. In fact I kind of feel sorry for the people who do this for a living. I mean how much more boring could a job possibly be.

Now a question. Are people being forced "without their consent" to go through these TSA scanners. If so, then it could be against the law here in Texas.

Texas Penal Code Improper Photography

You might want to check your own state laws for something similar.

J.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join