It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please MOVE that annoying airline ad. Please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Please Springer, can you PLEASE relocate that airline ad??? I have to assume you're getting a kick-back via some sort of generated traffic-'hit- counter (which in itself is okay) but every time I open a page or access any one of the drop-down features on top, that airline ad gets in my way. Again, I am sure that's what it's intended to do but it's getting so bad that I leave ATS and go to other forums for a while.

In case you don't know what I am referring to, I've taken two screen shots.

This is how it starts:

and EVERY TIME I try to navigate to another post, THIS IS WHAT I (we?) deal with:

Why is ATS out to annoy their loyal members? I just don't get it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I'm sure ATS did not intend to make an annoying add, annoy you.

I've noticed a rise of those type of pop-up adds on all websites.

Like for instance Facebook.

I see it as an annoying trend from advertisers who are not necessarily telling those people utilizing those adds.

If you're in the midst of typing on Facebook and you cannot see your typing it is more annoying.

Trust me.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The thing is I am almost certain they're (ATS) is getting paid from this company every time someone (accidentally) hits that ad and opens some kind of hit-counter.
I understand the need to make money but it shouldn't be at our emotional expense though.

So I feel ATS is treating us like commodity now!

It's bad enough the world is out to get us and doesn't give a crap about us (and only cares about their almighty dollar) but now ATS? Is there no where one can go (Internet and in the world) that's enjoyable and NOT about MONEY anymore?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Does the Mod or anyone of clout ever read these threads?? If not then, I'm not sure why I even bothered.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
don't those pop up ad open only when you mouse over them? Just don't do that. If I have an ad on a page I don't like I just refresh the page and it goes away, til the next time.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The thing is I am almost certain they're (ATS) is getting paid from this company every time someone (accidentally) hits that ad and opens some kind of hit-counter.
I understand the need to make money but it shouldn't be at our emotional expense though.

So I feel ATS is treating us like commodity now!

It's bad enough the world is out to get us and doesn't give a crap about us (and only cares about their almighty dollar) but now ATS? Is there no where one can go (Internet and in the world) that's enjoyable and NOT about MONEY anymore?

Well, seeing as I have owned a forum, I can see how you feel.

Mine was never set up to make anything off the people on it.

Then again mine was dealing with people with psychological issues.

I cannot speak to ATS making money.

I was merely speaking to the annoying pop-up adds.

And to answer your question about not going anywhere without adds.

No, there is nowhere, unless the website is out to lose money, that you can go without ads.

The origination of the Internet was to eventually make it the largest and ongoing spy operation.

So, advertising, should be the least of your concerns, if you feel like a commodity.
edit on 11/17/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight To The Post.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
We don't get any "kick backs" from the ad (or any other ad) for it displaying in a the larger format. That only happens because you scrolled over it. I'm not even sure it's one of our ads, what's the ad network/URL it comes from?

All of our remnant ad inventory is sold through huge ad networks, we have nothing to do with which ads come through beyond not allowing pron, gambling, or anything that violates our TAC...

Also, we have a thread stickied to this forum called "Worst Ads Ever" that's where this needs to be reported.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
don't those pop up ad open only when you mouse over them? Just don't do that. If I have an ad on a page I don't like I just refresh the page and it goes away, til the next time.

If you notice where it's placed, (a sliver above our drop down windows), you can't help but getting close to it and BANG....it drops down and covers the upper portion of the page where all the buttons are.

Sorry Springer, I thought for SURE you were getting some kind of 'toll' fare seeing where it is situated .

Just refresh the page you say? Sure. I can ''x' (close) out of it too but this happens every single time I go near the top of the page. I am on here many many hours per day so we're talking like, 25-30 times per day this ad opens up. I know how to get out of it, I was just hoping there was a way of moving it.

How can I tell where it originates from Springer?

This ad is fairly new. I didn't notice this about a week or so ago but man, it's as irritating as being behind someone driving 25 mph, in the passing lane, on I-95, with their brakes on.
I mean, you just want to scream and trust me, I have (over this ad)

Edit to add: Whose in charge of placing the ads on the pages? Is it ATS or does the company have a say-so because someone CERTAINLY did this on purpose based on its location on the page.

If I click 'post' after answering in a thread (like just now), my cursor automatically ends up right where this ad is located. So its placement is deliberate and very very very annoying.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm just glad the SKYLINE ad is gone.... I WAS ABOUT TO THROW MY LAPTOP AGAINST THE WALL I WAS SO F... PISSED OFF WITH THAT AD.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Yeah I gotta agree, that Skyline ad was a massive pain in the arse!

This sounds like the same thing.

Pretty damned annoying!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I think it's google AdSense. I use it too. Anyone with a website or blog can as well. I'm not 100% sure this is what is is though.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

I think it's google AdSense. I use it too. Anyone with a website or blog can as well. I'm not 100% sure this is what is is though.

What do you mean "I use it too. Anyone with a website....can as well?"

You mean you have a page/site that sponsors Google? I don't know anything about marketing so not sure what you're saying. But I think you're implying if I switched browsers, this might go away?

I've heard about Skyline in another forum-thread. I don't see the word Skyline but this is an airplane ad, it is beyond annoying so this must be similar.

I can't imagine someone on this forum booking a flight at the last minute because they saw this ad. I mean, flying doesn't fall under the category of impulse-buying like a Snickers bar so this ad is out of place I think.

I'm going to try FireFox and see what happens. Thanks all!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
4 words...
fire
fox
ad
block

I run several websites.. and I know its wrong to block the ads./..

but ATS takes forceful (Ill make you click one way or another) ad delivery to the next level..
so I had to enable it here..
sorry spinger..
edit on 11/18/2010 by KATSUO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It worked!!!!!

I installed and now use FireFox.

No more 'cursor sensitive' annoying drop down ad (for an airline that no one wants to board thanks to TSA and their molesting of passengers!!!)

I tell ya, that was enough to make me want to resign. I couldn't go anywhere near the top of the page without that ad opening up.

Thanks members. You've been very helpful!!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I spoke too soon.

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Ugh!

Damnit. All that for nothing.

Is there any way or any other browser that disables these types of ads?
I don't mind ads. I get it. Owners need them. But this is too much. It's effecting the level of my enjoyment on here.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KATSUO

three words
Terms
and
Conditions

remember them? you agreed to them when you signed up. you agreed to not use an ad blocker. we run this site, which is rather expensive, free to all. All we ask, sorry, require, is that you allow the ads to show.

you can be banned for using ad blockers of any kind. you are aware of that, right?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

In all due respect, ads shouldn't be bothersome though.
It's like a telemarketer calling every 5 minutes.

This ad is not like other ads. It's alive. And it's located exactly in a place where we bring it to life.

It's not fair.
Let this company have their spot on ATS but just NOT THERE. You can NOT avoid it and these people know it.
And as retribution and retaliation, I will tell everyone I know never ever use this airline.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Human_Alien because: replace: Airline

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
As has been said, the place to report troublesome ads is in this thread.

Closed.

top topics

join