It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrific Light Pollution !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Do you have lights turned on right now, you dont use? TURN IT OFF !! save the energy and save the planet form light pollution, im really frustrated about this problem.

I live in the city and there is never a black clear sky, its lit up by city lights, and I hate it. I really enjoy looking at the black sky full of stars, I remember when I was a small boy and was staying on my grandfathers farm where I could see everything clearly.. stars, planets and even the milkyway. The farm was placed far away from any city... but with the amount of lights we are useing and the current birthrate, im afraid dark starry nights will be a thing of the past.. except if you are a astronaut.

We need more research in this area, any suggestions or comments ?

A comparison of the view of the night sky from a small rural town (top) and a metropolitan area (bottom). Light pollution vastly reduces the visibility of stars.

source: en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dfb21c28e3f.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 17-11-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Light pollution is a real shame - I live in quite a rural area near London and even though it's very dark here the orange glow of the big city ruins the night skies.

I don't think people realise the amount of pollution out there until they go somewhere where there is none - I saw a completely clear, pollution-less sky in France and it was breath taking. The milky way was clearly visible and there were so many stars. I had no idea until then, and was an avid stargazer for years previously.

Don't think there's anything that can be done with it - people light there lights!
edit on 17-11-2010 by Khayal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I live in a dark sky city. We have no residential street lights, and lights in commercial areas meet strict guidelines. Businesses have no internally lighted signs. We are even restricted on what colors we may paint our houses, so as to avoid too much reflectivity.

The regulations can occasionally be a pain in the neck, but I must say that we can take our telescope out on the deck and be totally undisturbed by excess light. All in all, I find the restrictions worth the trouble.

www.darksky.org...;jsessionid=939A986CB01062ED161245F65C6099D5.mc0?sitePageId=119791

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
this is so true, where i live in england near a big city you can only see one or two stars on a clear night, but when i stay with grandparents in angelsey in the countryside i can see millions of stars and stuff its really quite beautiful, once watched a meteorite shower and it was amazing. looks just like ur pic which reminded me of it so thought id post

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Khayal

Ye I really hate it to, if nobody is going to invent some stuff that can automatic dim the light at night, I surly will... Good luck with finding that dark starry night in France again somewhere

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NazcaP

I live in a dark sky city. We have no residential street lights, and lights in commercial areas meet strict guidelines

That just sound to good to be true.. what city is that
and are they doing it to end light populution or is it a money thing

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by UKmonster

I find it very frustrating to know that we have the possibility' to see millions of stars if we did not have all these damm lights.. I remember when I was a soldier standing guard in a dark dark forest.. I had my nightvision, and I tried looking up on the sky.. full og stars millions of stars.. and when I used the nightvision..
somehing words cant describe..

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with that. I live in a semi rural area and I can't see the sky too well either.
I am a mile away from on lit up hiway and 1/4 mile from another, and yet another is almost 3 miles away.
Add to that all the business signs, with to me are totally unnessary.
There are so many lights all over, that I cannot see to drive at night. If it were just car lights it would be ok, as they are only on the road, but oncomeing car lights against business sign lights creates a confusing situation.

Have you ever seen those pics of the Earth at night from a satellite?
A lot of energy could be saved if even half of them were turned off.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I forget where but somewhere ESA space spictures were posted with the lights vissible from space. Amazing light pollution!

edit on 17-11-2010 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Ye here is a "good" picture of earth at night:

therealrevo.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

omg.. never realised lights was that visible from IIS

one clear star for that

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is something that the financial meltdown might actually help with as I have read a few news stories in England lately about councils planning to turn off street lights to save money.
There is a scheme in Germany where you use your mobile phone to turn the lights on link

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

It is Sedona, Arizona, which is a small city of fewer than 12,000 people. Many people in northern Arizona like the dark sky concept, as this has traditionally been a good place for astronomy enthusiasts. Flagstaff, 40 miles to our north and a much larger city, is also a dark sky city, and is the home of the Lowell Observatory.

join