It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Delta IV Heavy Rocket Ready For Thursday Night Launch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Huge Delta IV Heavy Rocket Ready For Thursday Night Launch

space.flatoday.net

A powerful Delta IV Heavy rocket is being prepped today for the planned launch Thursday evening of a classified payload for the super-secret National Reconnaissance Office, the federal agency that owns and operates the nation's fleet of spy satellites.
The huge United Launch Alliance rocket -- which is the largest liquid-fueled vehicle since the Apollo Saturn V moon rocket -- is slated to blast off from Launch Complex 37 at 6:10 p.m. The end of the launch window is classified.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.examiner.com

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This should be a nice launch, I'm hoping it gets delayed for an hour or two so we can have a true night launch. The Delta IV heavy is a spectacular site to watch launch. As the article stated this is the largest rocket since the Apollo/Saturn era. This is only the fourth launch of this type of rocket, given it is a new platform I would say there is a higher than usual chance of a failure.

I will try to update this thread up until a few minutes before launch. Hopefully I can get some good pictures from about 15 miles from the launch site.

space.flatoday.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Any idea if it's possible to see from the ground? I'm in Arizona... Where's it launching from (first time I I've ever followed a launch).

Are there people on board?

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm in Daytona Beach and will definitely check it out. I usually have a great view of the shuttles from my back yard as they head North East. I doubt that this rocket will follow the same trajectory though.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Is there any more information on this story as I assume the launch is still going ahead as planned? Does anybody know the flight path of the rocket? I was hoping to maybe have a tiny chance of catching a glimpse of the lights in the night sky.

I read that the information on the payload, and supposedly the flight path, was classified. But maybe somebody out there knows more and could possibly provide some more insight?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It is launching from Cape Canaveral. Due to a faulty ordinance line the launch has been postponed until Friday night.

space.flatoday.net...
edit on 18-11-2010 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I found another link through Patrick Air Force. I believe the trajectory will be about 95* to the East, that is just slightly south of due east. Usually for shuttle launches there is a map showing where boaters are not allowed offshore, thus giving a good idea of the trajectory, haven't found that map for this launch.
Link to PAFB's coverage:
www.patrick.af.mil...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Bump as launch is today. Keep watching the skies, they're watching... us.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Everything is looking good for a 6:06pm launch tonight. The meteorologist are forecasting a 90% chance of good weather and so far no other inhibiting factors have popped up.

www.patrick.af.mil...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Is there any way to watch the launch online as im in the uk and dont have time/money to travel to the USA

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You might be able to find a live feed from the above link or this one from Florida Today's coverage. There is a chance one of the world news stations may cover it on your television.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Thankyou very much

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The launch has been scrubbed again due to abnormal temperature reading during fueling. The next possible launch date is Sunday evening.

space.flatoday.net...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The countdown is on. The weather is still a little questionable with rain showers and with all the cloud cover it will be hard to watch the launch if it goes. Live coverage of the countdown is online:

space.flatoday.net...

Right now they are aiming for a 5:58pm EST launch. The exact time of the launch window is classified.
edit on 21-11-2010 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I found a link to a live feed. So far everything is on schedule. I do expect a little bit of a delay because of some rain.

spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Thanks for the link of the live feed. Excited to see this. Apparently 10 minutes until the weather is clear for launch.I just wish i had a faster internet connection, keeps rebufferring every 2 minutes.

Happy Watching

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Florida Today is now broadcasting a live feed. It may stream a little better:

www.floridatoday.com.../20101121/BREAKINGNEWS/101119001/1086/WATCH+LIVE++Delta+IV+Heavy+rocket+launch&template=liv estream

And another through the United Launch Alliance:
www.ulalaunch.com...

The Florida Today link is broken using ATS's code. You can try to copy and paste this:
www.floridatoday.com.../20101121/BREAKINGNEWS/101119001/1086/WATCH+LIVE++Delta+IV+Heavy+rocket+launch&template=livestre am

Or find a link through Florida Today
edit on 21-11-2010 by jrod because: tried to fix broken link

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
So glad Im going to get to see this, thought I had all ready missed it! Watching with you guys

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Will we be able to see it on the live nasa feed as it leaves earth you think. From the space station?

Interesting they just killed the live feed from nasa... wonder why?

nasa
edit on 21-11-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Awesome thanks. I'm excited. This is the first live launch I've seen. Hope it all goes well. I liked the little explanation about how the rocket launches. It would be fun to sneak inside. Quite a ride!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join