It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Huggiesunrise

Judging by your spelling(which is terrible)you must be American i.e. typical American(a bit thick but doesn't realise it)

Judging by your punctuation, (note the comma) You must be undereducated. (note the period)

judging others is fun, isn't it.
lol, are you for real???
does the grammar of any particular language decides the educational `level of any person???
my english grammar is poor and i am a MIT postgraduate with fluency in hindi,sanskrit, arabic, portugese and spanish. am i undereducated?
it's a shame that a country which has some of the best educational institutes produces irrational thinkers like you. typical american.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
European Perspective on The Typical American:

Loud, arrogant, narcisitic, sociapathically tribal (country, state, sports team), insular, ignorant of affairs outside town/state/country, shallow, violent, uber-conservative, sexually uptight, self important, violent, TV addict .... and ...... violent

There are a few positives, but they're usually reserved for the individual yanks that euros meet on the road. Usually, travelling yanks are well liked, interesting, open, warm and friendly peeps (with lots of dollars to spend)!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'll list things about myself for reference. Most people I know are hardworking and not greedy. Good morals and great people to be around. We love our country but no one I know runs around with an american flag singing the national anthem lol.

I was born in the midwest (Near St. louis, MO)
32, Male, Caucasian, 6'4" 220 lbs.
Bachelors degree
able to run 5 to 10 miles
Stay in shape through regular exercise
I stay away from places with Drive thru windows (unless I've been drinking lol)
Tattoos
Not racist
Friends of all shapes, sizes, lifestyles, economic income levels, etc.
Read regularly
I watch some tv shows, but not much
I have a son
Been divorced
Would love to travel, but income doesn't allow it
I'm aware of what goes on around the world, but obviously not able to keep up on everything in every country.
Wish the entire world would get along better, but that is something I don't expect to ever see.
I view people who chase money as pathetic.
I work to live, but would rather be home with friends and family.
I love learning and would stay in school forever if I had the chance.
I don't watch sports (and I'm sure Europe rivals us in crazy sports fans, just different sports).
I love music (except country and rap; that crap has ruined radio). I listen to classical music as well.
I'm not religious, but as long as you don't force your beliefs on me, I'm okay with it.
I don't agree with a lot of what our Government does, but I voted democrat as there was no way I wanted the other guy in office.

That's all I have for now. Not sure if it is typical, but I know many people similar to me. I don't know many personally that would fit the 'Typical American' stereotype described by others here, but sadly they are around. One thing I would like to point out is that a lot of Americans want to travel, but just can't afford it. Remember, I'm surrounded by thousands of miles of U.S. soil so I can't just get on the highway and hop over to another country.

- Dredge

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can't comment on those on the internet who claim to be American since you never really know where people are posting from or their intentions...

So I can only comment on the Americans I know and work with.. and for the last 30 years for me a typical American is a kind caring and honourable person, at times a bit like a bull in a china shop, but even then mostly with good intentions.

Politically to the right, very religious, conservative in their views and an awful sense of dress, but that is more than made up by their relaxed and happy approach to life in general. I won't say can't handle their drink, but defiantly prudish about dirty jokes, swearing and drinking..

All in all I have found more often than not the typical Americans I come across, work with to be really decent human beings, ones I am proud to also call friends.. Don't get me wrong I find myself perplexed by Americans and of all nations I've worked with find Americans the hardest to understand and at times the most infuriating.

To end on a positive, I like to work with professionals who have drive and ambition without being back stabbing aholes, so can't help but love working with Americans

Edit to add:
I expect my next project will now be with Americans who turn all the notions I have of a "typical" American on it's head

edit on 19/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I don't think the fat kid eating is American, can anyone identify the language in the advert?
Oh the irony.
edit on 19-11-2012 by tanda7 because: irony

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

You might want to actually come over and meet some of us...

Whilst some, even many, meet that stereotype...even more don't.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well for a start, I am living in western Europe. I see plenty of fat people here. Tons. I think of places like California.with gorgeous blonds, muscle men and models. Or I think to the southern bells with long legs flowing red hair and perfect butts. Or anywhere as being as typical as a fat Guy or girl.

I find that Americans are VERY hard working. Doing anything in Europe with native European workers is a pain in the ass. I once had a conversation with a construction foreman and told him he should hire more native Europeans instead of immigrants if he was pissed about what we were talking about at the time. I asked.if he hired them because they are cheaper. He said no, that he pays them more. He.said that they work harder, complain less, get more done and.aren't looking for ways to screw over the company. He said if he found one native European worker that would work as hard as these guys he would gladly pay them like the immigrants.

Typical is not what someone is but what is expected when you don't know anything about them.

I would say that with the growing health culture in the US, large armed forces population and law enforcement population that statistics are a little off.

People in western Europe are just as fat, and much more lazy. We have problems but work ethics are not one of them and weight is a.problem all over the west. There is no fat people capital.

This is just more BS to make Americans lose prestige so we are more malleable for world agendas.

Truth is we are a great people. Trust me. The rest ain't that much different and they have some serious problems of their own.

edit on 19-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

i would say that your perceptions of the stereotypes are true.

I would also say that those same stereotypes are held by Americans of other cultures. So what causes it? Culture differences.

Perhaps if more folks put their head down and kept focused on the row they are tending, there would be less noticing of these differences, and less fighting and strife.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
What IS a Typical American?
I generally visit the US a couple of times a year. Recent destinations have been NOLA, Cape Cod, Upper NY, Pennsylvania. I have been down the west coast a ways, Idaho and Montana, through Kansas, Missouri, Ohio...down the eastern seaboard to NC, Georgia, Tennessee...oh, and my Canada includes Florida. All in all, I figure I have seen more of the US than most Americans. I am a long-haired git sporting a little ink. I am also a WASP male.

I should think that serves to entitle me to a qualified opinion, eh?

I think Americans as a whole are good, honest, friendly, God Fearin' folk. They are open and generous and seriously patriotic. I like them, and as a guest I will enthusiastically compare our two lands...but I won't talk politics. I'm Canadian...I have an image to uphold.

I love going through the small towns as they are festooned with red, white and blue around July 4. I am amused at their misconceptions about the Great Pink North, but in a gentle way. I'm already planning a visit to Cleveland next summer to check out the Rock and Roll Museum. I like visiting. The beer is...quaint. I really like Hostess 'Real Fruit' Fruit Pies (that's another thread...)

But I always wanna kiss the ground when I get back across the border.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I don't know where the lazy stereotype comes in. The average American works 400 ore hours a year then any other nation, the next is Japan. Even then, when countries tally these things, Japanese will include a business dinner as work, Americans don't even include that.

When you look at leave, Americans get less.
Here is a list of the number of paid vacation days employees are required by the government to receive:
Australia – 20
Austria – 22
Belgium – 20
Canada – 10
Denmark – 25
Finland – 25
France – 30
Germany – 24
Greece – 20
Ireland – 20
Italy – 20
Italy – 20
Japan – 10
Netherlands – 20
New Zealand – 20
Norway – 25
Portugal – 22
Spain – 22
Sweden – 25
UK – 20
US – 0

www.vpcalendar.net...

And Americans need to note this too when they claim that employees are too superfluous:

Maternity Leave, note how much is paid by country:

United States:
Length Of Maternity Leave: 12 Weeks
Percentage Of Wages Paid: No national program but cash benefits may be provided at the state level.

Iceland:
Length Of Maternity Leave: 3 Months
Percentage Of Wages Paid: 80
Germany:
Length Of Maternity Leave: 14 Weeks
Percentage Of Wages Paid: 100
Japan:
Percentage Of Wages Paid: 67
Malta:
New Zealand:
Length Of Maternity Leave: 14 Weeks Paid, 38 Weeks Unpaid

Note again, Americans and others, that Vietnamese get even more sick leave than us:

Switzerland
At least 20 work days, plus 12–16 public holidays (some of which always fall on a Sunday)

Taiwan
7 days

Tanzania
28 calendar days

Thailand
6 calendar days[20]

Turkey
14 work days for 0–5 years, 20 work days for 5–15 years and 26 days for over 15 years seniority.

Tunisia
30 work days

Ukraine
24 calendar days

United Kingdom
28 calendar days (5.6 weeks) These may include the Bank/Public holidays which otherwise would be unpaid.[21]

United States
None.[22] Certain employers, including those with 50 or more employees in a locale and public sector employers, must give up to twelve weeks of unpaid leave for personal or family illness, or for the birth or placement of a child.[23]

Uruguay
20 working days (from 0 to 5 years seniority), 21 calendar days (from 5 to 8). Afterwards, an additional working day is added every four years.[24]

Venezuela
15 paid days for the first year and 1 day extra for every year of service up to 30 days. In addition, a maximum of 12 public holidays provided every holiday falls on a weekday.

Vietnam
10 working days.
statutory sick leave by country

When I ask immigrant friends what was the first stereotype that was confirmed or not confirmed about Americans, the first thing they say is that we are lazy, they are like: you people are crazy hard workers.

My mum just got an email from her British penal (cool way how they met) and he said we don't even take a break for tea.

Fact is, we have what we have because we work for it .We pay for it with our health, with our marriages, with everything, but we worked for it.
We earned it.

I think many see as Americans being like an heir who are inherited our wealth, and did nothing to earn it. When in reality, we work very hard for it.

We don't ask others to like us, we don't think others should be like us, but we do think that others should understand us.

When people want to cling to ugly stereotypes about Americans, some of it may be media driven, some maybe experience, and yes, some may be jealousy. We have accomplished in 200 years what others haven't done in a thousand.

Instead, of holding it against us, they should just understand our roots. And no matter the politics, or what the immigrant waves are that come in, the roots do not change.

We were started by settlers. A settler means: person who goes first or does something first.

And that has never changed.
we were settled by people who were not happy with the way things were, took great risks to become pioneers, and start a new life to make things how they like it.

When we were tired of British rule, again the pioneers took great risks to start a new life to make things how they like it.

When slavery become an issue, pioneers took great risks to start a new life to make things how they like it. Which resulted in the Civil War.

When the middle class was not happy with the way things were, pioneers tookgreat risks to become pioneers and started a new life to make things how they like it, known as the progressive era.

When minorities got tired of their treatment, they took great risks to change thing to make it how they like it.

So instead of judging, understand and realize what makes us tick, we will always be pioneers..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I know from living in Britain for 20 some years that the typical American was a fifty fifty split between the fat, lazy, thick, spoiled, yank - all of whom lived in California. And the Bible thumping, country music loving, toothless, inbred, swamp dwellers - who lived in Louisiana. The rest of the country was largely empty, except New York, which was always perceived as cool, mostly because it was invented by the Irish.

That all seems to be changing now though. It seems the typical American these days is a whiny assed prat who has no idea his country is both financially and morally bankrupt. 9/11 and Iraq didn't help.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Scouser640

best reply of the whole thread.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, I liked the pale, short, and boxy Irish that can't hold a beat dancing in the very personification of rythmless white Guy as cool. AND the toothless Louisiana mention of French defendants with their Bible thumping. I was not to motivated by the fat Californians who spend every waking moment exercising and inventing beauty supplies and plastic surgery techniques since it doesn't capture the state of Babylon they are in over there. I would say their Bible got thumped too hard and they instead traded it for a copy of vanity fair.

Also the being broke part was funny since he didn't mention that we have been utterly broke for decades now but since.e we produce so much wealth it never became an issue. Hell it might not even be one now since we are recovering faster than the rest of the world, so it wasn't bleak enough for.me. being morally corrupt, that was just awesome considering that while the world still reveled in racism and stereotypes we had the age of civil rights and just reelected a black president. He could have mentioned the slave trade but he would have had to tiptoe around the fact that after we ended slavery here, the Portuguese still had slave ships sailing.

All in all we have to ignore MIT CalTech, silicone valley, and other places if we want to paint the picture of dense Americans. I mean it is not like world leaders and captains of industry come to the US for a higher education in our schools. Focus on our HS system which sucks. Forget places like Yale and west point that make world leaders and the enlightened of the west.

Merica, MC Donald's, and NASCAR. Get er done.

We suck. Guess the world is right.

edit on 19-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

well, if you can't laugh at your own stereotypes and their absurdity, you would never have the right to laugh at another nations.

It is like my wife making fun of the way I speak spanish....we just like to remark on, and sometimes laugh at our differences.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I figured this morphed picture of Honey Boo Boo's mom and Lana Del Rey summed it up nice.
I think y'all better redneckognize.
-Georgia peaches.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Scouser640

I am retired at age 44. Proud U.S. Citizen..."American" is a generalization of many nations if you pay attention.

My wife is Irish, first generation in the U.S.

Xenophobic behavior and comments by the rest of the world is wonderful to watch. I won't bash the people I have run across in many nations. Perhaps the difference is class, real exposure and education.

Good luck looking thought a narrow glass to see so much about so little.

MG

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm FAR from typical, even some of those stereotypes showed in the OP do kinda relate to me, I eat at ickey D's (not too much anymore, kinda got tired of it), the old man with his firearm can kinsda represent me, I love my greasy breakfast, but I'm also a bigtime sci fi/gaming/nerd/geek, but i dont see that posted lol

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
On a more serious note: While I do have my fun with the stereotypes, especially the ones here down in the South, I do realize that we are so much more than this. This country is too wide and diverse to limit the U.S. to the South East and Mid West. Even in each state, there are differences in each city. There is no monolithic USA.
Just for the record, haha.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess117

Agreed with.

Few people have ventured out of their country...U.S. citizens think 300 years is a 'long time'. Europeans think 300 miles is 'a long way'.

lol. So they can read a map? I've been on it and so have so many, for generations, in the States. We all can read maps. Try getting there.

MG

BTW. Traveling just Europe, not well traveled.
edit on 20-11-2012 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear
reply to post by Jess117

Few people have ventured out of their country...U.S. citizens think 300 years is a 'long time'. Europeans think 300 miles is 'a long way'.
MG

I do feel like that's true for both! Although I do know money is tight these days, there is nothing more breathtaking (of course you could call this culture shock in some cases) than seeing other countries and talking to people. I've visited parts of Asia, and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. There is so much to learn.
And speaking about maps. I had a friend who thought Louisiana was part of France. We were in French class together. That scared me... Haha.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join