It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
LMAO

Typical American/ fat kids eating Mcdonalds...

That made me laugh. Thanks

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

edit on 18-11-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: deleted

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

good one!!! that might be a good idea for next halloween, lol cracked out, redneck uncle sam!
but...no star for you! the rest of the world loves to kick us when we're down, but we will come back stronger than ever!

this link is for a very funny snl skit, that shows various stereotypes around the world!!!!

Saturday Night Live Skit

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
I was born in America and raised in an immigrant community. I can tell you what the "Typical American" is from the point of view of the many immigrants I have been exposed to my entire life.

Typical American:

• Fat
• Lazy
• Stupid, Idiotic, Uneducated, Unintelligent
• Believes everything on television
• Believes America and Americans are the supreme beings of earth that all others should emulate
• Has no true understanding or perspective of the world outside of America
• Lack morals and values
• Many American guys are gay
• Most American girls are unworthy of marriage because they are overly promiscuous, can't cook, can't clean, party too much, and are not faithful. Only worthy of dating and sex, but not to marry.
• Some Europeans do not wish to be categorized with white Americans because they consider them white trash
• Many Native Africans do not wish to be categorized with African Americans because they consider them ghetto trash
• Emotionally Weak; cry-babies. Complain and cry about tiny things and have no concept of true pain or true hardship.
• Spoiled brats
• Rude
• Arrogant
• Egotistical

That is exactly what I have observed after living in America and going to college here for almost 4 years. The majority of Americans are exactly as described above. Luckily 10% (or about 30 million) people are not like that. The rest are as useless as you describe.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

And here we have it folks, the typical American attitude towards "outsiders" or people who don't agree with the American way of life (whatever that is).

Just had to do it.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Sounds like the attitude of someone that thinks they're better than everyone else, ironic isn't it?
Also sounds like you had no idea it would "be like that here" ironic that you had no idea the world was like outside your home country or else you wouldn't have come here. Spread the word to the millions of immigrants that flock here every year, maybe they will stay in their home countries.
By the way I wish people talking bad about my country would post their home country so I could go off on them.

edit on 19-11-2010 by conspiracy nut because: spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut

By the way I wish people talking bad about my country would post their home country so I could go off on them.

My home country is America. Feel free to bash it, this place is a ticking time bomb full of arrogance and greed.

Sorry, did that offend you because of Freedom? Our forefathers? Flags? Rights? Liberty?

Any other nationalist propaganda stopping you from using your brain?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
sounds like you have a very negative attitude. try thinking a little more positive and maybe you will see more positivity in the world...even in America.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

As I have been given a hard time about my initial reply in this thread, please read the full post and realize these are not my opinions as I have indicated. I am an American, half-white and half-Laotian. I simply stated "the point of view of the many immigrants I have been exposed to my entire life."

Why did I post other people's point of view? Because I wanted to expose the secret opinions of many non-Americans that they may be too afraid to say openly, but which I have heard them say.

My personal point of view of the typical American? I am the typical American. My friends, my family, my boss, my old school teachers, the politicians, the celebrities, the criminals, the pious, my neighbors... they are all the typical Americans.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Huggiesunrise

Judging by your spelling(which is terrible)you must be American i.e. typical American(a bit thick but doesn't realise it)

Judging by your punctuation, (note the comma) You must be undereducated. (note the period)

judging others is fun, isn't it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Sounds like the attitude of someone that thinks they're better than everyone else, ironic isn't it?
Also sounds like you had no idea it would "be like that here" ironic that you had no idea the world was like outside your home country or else you wouldn't have come here. Spread the word to the millions of immigrants that flock here every year, maybe they will stay in their home countries.

Nah just stating the obvious, I've seen half the kids at college shouldn't be there. It's good that there's no competition for places in America, everyone has a shot. However it really does lower the standards. It's funny how many Americans like to say well my country did this and that when in fact they personally are responsible for absolutely none of America's accomplishments. Which is 90% of the American population. Most Americans are just drones who care more about reality TV, Xbox and sport. They are the simple facts, sorry that you think it's condescending, but that is the typical comment of someone who fits into the category above. Have a nice day

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I am an American. I consider Americans to be hard working, patriotic, and wanting to do the right thing. Americans truly want to be respected and be rewarded for their hard work. As they should be!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Anyone who judges someone on something such as the country they hail from, isn't worthy of an ounce of respect.

You may disagree with the politician aspects of said country, but to overall denoune and insult said people?

That's the truest form of ignorance to date.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

this is absolutely true!! star for you. deny ignorance ats. passing judgement on anyone is pretty much whacked in my opinion.who are we to judge?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Gakus

this is absolutely true!! star for you. deny ignorance ats. passing judgement on anyone is pretty much whacked in my opinion.who are we to judge?

Indeed my friend.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A typical american thinks that people from the USA are the only americans and that we born in others countries from the continent called America are not americans, but martians, or asians, or australians, europeans, and worst is that when they get angry because we born in others countries from that big continent called America says that we are americans too.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Originally posted by nik1halo
reply to post by astrogolf

When I hear things like "typical american" I try to consider the source. Normally, this term is used by a non-american. It's a slight. A way of saying we're all a bunch of cookie cutter simpletons.
Most frequently it comes from the europeans. Makes me wonder why the entire world, including the left wing here in the United States loves to bash the "typical american" so much.
Here's why. We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.

The Car (Gasoline powered) - Invented in 1885 by Karl Benz (as in Mercedes-Benz) he was a German.
The telephone - 1876 by Alexander Graham Bell, a Scot
The computer - Could be Charles Babbage, an English man, or for what we would today call a modern computer, it would be Alan Turing during WWII, also English.
Modern Medicine - Really? Modern medicine wasn't invented, it evolved throughout the world over centuries and is still being improved in research labs in many different countries. A lot of the real cutting edge stuff these days is coming from Japan.
Space Travel - Those damned Ruskies got there first. On the back of German Nazi research into the V2 rocket may I add.
Television - John Logie Baird, another Scot in 1925.
The Radio - Nikola Tesla, a Serbian

I can't be bothered to carry on, I think I've made my point. Without looking them up, I would say very few of the others could be classed as American inventions either.

And this thread asks why outsiders see Americans as ignorant, egocentric, uneducated and unaware of other countries

edit on 18-11-2010 by nik1halo because: (no reason given)

And the internet your surfing right now.. Larry G. Roberts created the first functioning long-distance computer networks in 1965 and designed the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET), the seed from which the modern Internet grew, in 1966.

A AMERICAN!

So in essence thanks to america you have a Internet where you can bash it on

edit on 18-11-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

But you'll find it hard using the internet with no computer!
Which is where us Brits come in!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Its more a figure of speach .... there is no typical no matter where one is in the world ... though some may share alot of traits .. habits ... ways of thinking etc... people are all unique in their own way... largely its due the exposure of media that many form opinions of other places / people in the world... if more people travelled they would see alot of the misconceptions that abound in the world...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
As an american living outside the US, I have seen and heard some of the common attitudes about Americans.

Soem of the stereotypes here seem much harsher than what I have heard- they sound like the kinds of views you see from immigrants to the US- people who feel bitter and are making a harsh line between themselves and the americans, struggling with cultural integration.

There are stereotypes that are promoted more by the media, like the obesity factor, and the lack of education in areas like history and geography, and a arrogant type of nationalism and religosity. These are put forward as being especailly american characteristics because they are what stands out. The ways in which americans are like others are not going to be noticed as much.

I did not associate myself so much with any of these things at first, but that is because I was more the stereotype of the typical Californian, which varies somewhat from that obese religiously fanatic nationalists! The majority of the population that fits that stereotype are those in the Mid west- the Bible belt.

But even the Californian stereotype has truth to it and I can only laugh at myself. There's really no reason to get offended.

In any case, what I find both in my host country and my own, is that peoples views of other nationalities will largely vary depending upon their social class and the kinds of direct experience they have been exposed to.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf
reply to post by hotbakedtater

When I hear things like "typical american" I try to consider the source. Normally, this term is used by a non-american. It's a slight. A way of saying we're all a bunch of cookie cutter simpletons.
Most frequently it comes from the europeans. Makes me wonder why the entire world, including the left wing here in the United States loves to bash the "typical american" so much.
Here's why. We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.
Despite this infestation of foreigners and liberals, we're still the richest, most innovative, most technologically advanced, and most free nation in the history of man.
Is that what you mean by typical american? Because lets be honest. Without the typical american, the typical european would be riding to work on their job at a farm on a bicycle with wooden wheels. All while speaking german.
The french wouldn't be rioting in the streets over having to work until 62 to get free government cheese because they'd be busy surrendering to the bahamas or something.
Here's the typical american. He's a guy like me, who gets sick of an entire continent who couldn't do in thousands of years what we did in 200 insulting us and telling us how to live. A continent who apparantly despises us until they need someone to defend them because they're own citizens are too busy running like hell.
Basically, you may want to work on getting your own countries up to speed before you go knocking us. And always bear in mind, we don't really give a rip what you think. So theres that.
typical stupid american who doesn't know technology isn't net positive.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join