It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Library

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How many books do you have?

I went to a friends house, rather wealthy, and he had a 15 by 15 room with mohogany shelving and over 2000 books on them...

Made me so jealous.

Do your relatives give you a hard time with book buying? "yuo have too many books" etc... I tell me my mom that 150 or so books is not that much at all, but she gives me a hard time with it. I tell her there are people with 1000s of books, and she goes "why"? She thinks reading more than a half hour a day is too much. Yet TV 4 plus hours a day is fine....

Why is our culture so stupid?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I just did a quick rough count of the number of books in the house and I would guess at it being between 600-700, thats split between me and my girlfriend though.
I have a load of books on design / architecture / photography / fashion trends and computers and a few about mentalism and mind mapping , and she has loads of books about magic / ghosts / witchcraft etc

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I have 20 or 30 laying around my room and my girlfriend tells me that's a lot

nothing compared to your 150 or your friends thousands though. I wish I had the time to get through that many books, lol.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Books? Dont' have no interest in reading and no space to keep em in our trailer even if I did. (Sorry, Bub, nobuddy will probably understand this topic or reply)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I just did a quick rough count of the number of books in the house and I would guess at it being between 600-700, thats split between me and my girlfriend though.
I have a load of books on design / architecture / photography / fashion trends and computers and a few about mentalism and mind mapping , and she has loads of books about magic / ghosts / witchcraft etc

Majority of my books are religious in nature. Mostly Judaism, but with a bit of Buddhism, and some other subjects which could be classified as 'spiritual' along the lines of gnosticism/theosophy.

Also have a couple classic fiction books i enjoy; paradise lost, king lear.

And a collection of 'how to survive' books - got atleast 10 of them. Also, a neat little 'what plants you can eat in the ontario wilderness' book which might come in handy one day.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

DO any of the bookshelves rotate leading to a secret passage with flaming torches?
That would be even better

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Alot of people own alot of books to appear intellectual.
Most people I know haven't read most of the books they have...they are just status symbols to look smarter then what they really are.

I own 55 books and have read each one,give or take the ones that people gave me that I wasn't interested in.
I will be getting rid of alot of these soon and will start collecting again.
Once i read it...its old news.
Some of my books are favourites so I don't toss those ones.

Owning 2000 books is kinda like hoarding to me.

The books I find to be most valuable are cookbooks because i can't remember every recipe.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Alot of people own alot of books to appear intellectual.
Most people I know haven't read most of the books they have...they are just status symbols to look smarter then what they really are.

I own 55 books and have read each one,give or take the ones that people gave me that I wasn't interested in.
I will be getting rid of alot of these soon and will start collecting again.
Once i read it...its old news.
Some of my books are favourites so I don't toss those ones.

Owning 2000 books is kinda like hoarding to me.

The books I find to be most valuable are cookbooks because i can't remember every recipe.

Well i agree thats true of a lot of people.

The guy i mentioned though has read most if not all of his books. Hes a serious reader, and the majority of his books are religious/mystical - a subject which he has a great interest in.

Ive read most of my books, some of them 2 or 3 times. I dont usually buy books unless i know ill go back to them. Though some of my books are currently beyond my 'ken' of understanding and so ive left them to the future, when i get the appropriate studying done.

Though with people that collect books, rather than read them. that is a very pretentious practice that the majority of the wealthy engage in as you said, to give off the impression of 'intellectualism'.

I can imagine that many celebrities do that

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

My design ones are usually just for inspiration, and they are mainly full of pictures, If I get asked to design something in a certain style I know I can find something in one of them that will help me know what the basics of that style / design ethic are.
I've also found some of my girlfriend books of Folk Tales really good inspiration for creative writing as they are full of the most bizarre ideas.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
My weakness is books - children's, art, architecture, turn of the century homekeeping, cookbooks, classics, homesteading and the occasional top seller. I just took a tour of my weakness. 4 year old has about 300+ in her room, son has about 200+ in his, family bookcase has about over 300 and I have my 10 favorites next to my bed - oh 30 cookbooks (love to read those too). One reminder, kids books are often skinny and the softcovers are cheaper (especially at goodwill) so they don't take up much room - fortunately!

I hate when we get a lot of various toys and crap for birthdays/holidays/visiting gifts - I specifically ask friends and family to buy a book or to give $ towards a book for the kids to pick out their own. And we are at the library every 23 days - often 'testing' books before we commit to purchasing them. It's just a shame that so many kids never crack open a book unless it's for school!

It was a childhood dream to one day have a 'real' library, in it's own room, with shelves all the way to the ceiling - so romantic

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I love books and can't get enough of them. Sadly, some are with my ex. We're still friends but she lives in another state and hasn't been able to get them to me. There must be over 50 there. I sure do miss them. I think I have about 30 or so here. I have a wide range of tastes and interests. They're both fiction and non-fiction. Nobody really gives me trouble for the books. Most of the people I know like to read, too.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I own hundreds of books, collected since I was in my teens when I might have had to decide whether to buy food or a book.

I used to always read them because I had no other form of entertainment at that time in my life.

Fast forward a bit to when I had more money and I could buy a few books at once. Then, I'd dip in and out of several and be amazed at how the information found in one book would link to something I read in one of the others.

There'd always be little stacks of books around the room and I'd be sitting on the floor with a cup of coffee, a bar of chocolate and a little gerbil hopping around chewing anything he could get his teeth into whilst I was reading.

I dreamed of having a bookshelf lined room but found, when I got it, that my books just got dusty and they kept in much better condition if I put them in plastic boxes.

I haven't bought a book for a long time because I can find so much on the internet nowadays and it's a bit of a relief to save my money and not to add to the many books I have to hump around when I move. I've still got a few dozen in Town that need to be brought to my present home and that's after giving about thirty away to the charity shop.

I love books very much and take great delight when I find one that I had forgotten about but they are a burden in many ways.

edit on 17-11-2010 by berenike because: tidy up post

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A bunch.
I have three book shelves, and about half are non-fiction, and that's growing.
I have more books than shelf space so I end up just stacking the books on the bottom shelf, and holding onto them for yard sales and such.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well,

I love to read, And I love to spend time by myself, so when I am home a good book is never farthur then arms length away, And i am always Home... I have about two thousand hard covers that pretty much covers the entire gambit of topics, mostly science fiction and fantasy though. If i counted soft covers, and comic books I am sure I could muster up about 7 or 8 thousand books in total. I never throw out a book and niether did my parents.. My sister has her kids.. I have my books..

Some books I have read over 20 times just because I enjoyed the story soo much.. Anne McCaffrey 's" Dragon Riders of Pern" series is a good example of that and is probably one of my all time favorites. Also "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card is one book I will never get bored of reading.

And then theres My "MCO" I dont think I could survive without that...

~meathead

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Now, that's a library. I bet you could put Barnes and Nobel to shame lol.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I didn't attempt to do an exact count, but at least 600 or 700. That includes two bookcases which I bought when I moved here, specifically to house my history collection. About one-third of the total. The rest mainly fiction/literature. These are books that I keep because I want to keep re-reading them. The best books are like that.
I'm old enough that my book-buying is my own business, but I think your relatives are very foolish to grumble at a book collection. They would prefer you to have no mind at all?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

I didn't attempt to do an exact count, but at least 600 or 700. That includes two bookcases which I bought when I moved here, specifically to house my history collection. About one-third of the total. The rest mainly fiction/literature. These are books that I keep because I want to keep re-reading them. The best books are like that.
I'm old enough that my book-buying is my own business, but I think your relatives are very foolish to grumble at a book collection. They would prefer you to have no mind at all?

I dont come from a particularly academic family.

My dad has alot of books but he rarely reads any of them. He works too much for that.

And my mom is more of an 'emotional' intelligence.

Basically, im the only one in my family who has gone the academic route. And sometimes my mom, mainly, can be a bit ridiculous with reading. Most people find it 'boring' to keep a book going, which to me is sad. This is what Orwell meant when he referrred to the 'narrowing' of thought, which happens through Tv, propaganda, repeating of cliches. People are so focused on the sensate that their minds cannot appreciate more abstract things, like philosophy for instance. And no life is worth living without philosophy. How can you understand life, and thus enrich it, without being a philosopher (to some degree)? Most of my books are Jewish philosophy, kabbalah, but i also have many books on Greek thought (as its interesting contrasting the two) as well as buddhist, hindu and some others.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic
I could muster up about 7 or 8 thousand books in total. I never throw out a book and niether did my parents.. My sister has her kids.. I have my books..

Holly Molly.

What happens when you move house?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Books have been a huge weakness for me.
I have more than 500 books floating around. It may even be higher due to my food collection from school.
Since times have been really tight, I have not been able to buy anything. I have been relying on my ebook collection to keep me occupied. I have more than 5000 ebooks stacked up waiting to be read. I really miss the physical sensation of holding a book, but it is a virtual library of stuff that interests me so it will do.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Holly Molly.

What happens when you move house?

I have lived in this house since I was in third grade and I am moving into my late thirties now, So i have never actually thought about it...

I am relocating up to Vermont as soon as the wiring and plumbing are finished on the cabin though, and most likely Ill just pack up whats not already boxed and drive them up in a U-haul with my furniture.

I dont see them being any more cumbersome than most of the items involved with moving, Having worked in the moving industry for several years I can tell you that book boxes are one of the easiest things to load and are often used as base in awkward tier when the driver runs out of dressers and desks .

~meathead

new topics

top topics

join