It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dancing With The Stars - Rewarding mediocrity, the Palin Effect

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hmmm, thinking,,,, thinking....

Look. Leave the kids alone. Go after Palin. I like most of your stuff that you post but this is below the grade.

I on the other hand and happy for her (and the Palin family). They have been able to turn the tables against the MSM and Liberal haters.

They are cleaning up the bucks. Good for them. If they do "go away". I hope they have bucket loads of money.
Laughing all the way to the bank while chewing on Moose meat and fish. I wish I could do it.

Sure beats working for a living. Lucky basta..s

Oh, and on the way to the bank to deposit the buckets... they'll be screaming THANKS JOHN McCAIN!!!!

What surprises me most is how people continue to bash and berate Palin and Clan but I bet no one would turn the money and fame down if they had the chance.

Now, You go Girl and dance you little feet away. The people will decide who they want-and that is the way the show is designed. I would rather have a no-body with no experience come on and do a pretty good job than someone like Gray-a has been.

And on another note. I bet everyone reading this would pop a reported in the kisser if they said things about your wife/family like they do. Notice no one ever really says anything about Palin's husband. lol

PS: My wife and I start Ballroom dancing next month and I can't wait. I am truly a lucky man to have such a beautiful woman wanting to be seen dancing with me. That's how I see it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Violater1
I never would have thought that the topic of Dancing With the Stars would end up on ATS!

Neither did I, and my first reaction was to move this to the TV forum in Off-Topic. (Still might depending on how it goes)

However, there's a compelling connection to be made regarding the show (and recent results) and how it's representing a cultural trend where excellence is no longer embraced.
edit on 17-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

Perhaps then the conspiracy is in the programming of the TV. Or, just watching too much TV.

I applaud you and your wife, for your get off the sofa, get outa the house, athletic participation.
While I enjoy mountain biking, my ex still sits in front of the TV watching stupid shows like "Dancing with The Stars."

Yes move this to the other forum

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
and to the op, if you've never seen the show then how do you know how badly palin danced? she was voted through because she ISN'T a celebrity. unlike her competitors she was humble and not conceited like some others who were voted off.

I base my judgements on the score of the judges, and the comments of the people that voted -for- her. they said flat out she isn't the best, but they vote for her for a variety of reasons, some because it "infuriates the liberals", etc...none because of any talent she is bringing.

So, your suggesting then they are voting for her simply because she is not a celeb...great...why not just have a show called "average people dancing" then...sounds like that would be right up their alley.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

What surprises me most is how people continue to bash and berate Palin and Clan but I bet no one would turn the money and fame down if they had the chance.

I would like to think that I wouldnt sell out my country for a few sheckels to make my life more comfortable while at the same time damning my countrymen to live in a state of fear and denial.

We arent "liberal haters". I dont dislike Palin and her family because they are "conservatives", i dislike them because they are money grubbing hypocrites, that have somehow fooled people like you into helping them, despite Sarah being a below average politician and her daughter being a below average alaskan girl. Republicans hate welfare, but dont mind paying for the bastard baby of bristol palin! Does bristol palin have a job? NO, she gets money from her mom, who gets it from YOU! jesus i just gotta walk away this pisses me off

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think there is some concern about the tendency to promote and reward mediocrity. I'm not sure it matters in a dancing contest, but I get that you're talking about a bigger picture.

I've never seen the show, but the dancing contest is just for entertainment. If they're not that great, it can still be entertaining (to those who are interested in the activity), as opposed to an unfunny comedian. And we don't go the the doctor for entertainment. I don't anyway. I go because I need something and I want the best doctor I can get.

I do think it is indicative of a larger issue. Look at kids' contests and school sports - many times they award everyone who participates. It discourages giving the best effort - after all, why give your best when "everyone wins"? And it also discourages healthy competition and encourages resentment. If the kid wins, he should be rewarded for it above what everyone else receives. If he sees that the kid who didn't even try gets the same CONSEQUENCE as he does, why try?

I am interested in singing and music, so when we had TV, I watched American Idol. It was also a very interesting psychological study of human beings, as I'm sure the dancing show is. And as SaturnFX points out, we can look at these microcosms and see a relation to the larger picture.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Hmmm, thinking,,,, thinking....

Look. Leave the kids alone. Go after Palin. I like most of your stuff that you post but this is below the grade.

The thread isn't about the kid, or even the mother...it is about the concept of rewarding average...I would be voicing the same concern if it was Bill Clintons daughter doing average and getting passes. Stop your partisan nonsense for just a moment and consider what the topic is actually about...this is not in political madness, this is about a blanding down of american culture.

I on the other hand and happy for her (and the Palin family). They have been able to turn the tables against the MSM and Liberal haters.

turn the tables against the msm...by integrating with it...great. so at least you admit by that statement that culture and reward should not be about an accomplished talent, but rather just how partisan you can be in a culture.
wonderful

They are cleaning up the bucks. Good for them. If they do "go away". I hope they have bucket loads of money.
Laughing all the way to the bank while chewing on Moose meat and fish. I wish I could do it.

don't care if they go away...this alaska reality tv may be right up their alley and they seem to fit perfectly in that scene..again, this isn't a political thread.

Actually, since your making this an issue about it in that light, you are the one indirectly bashing them more than me. this is about rewarding av...nevermind...you simply don't get it.

I would rather have a no-body with no experience come on and do a pretty good job than someone like Gray-a has been.

So you prefer no talent over experience...tell that to your doctor, your carpenter, your plumber, etc. This isn't about experience...the people dancing are stars...not dancers...so none of them have experience in this line...thats sort of the concept of the show...the issue is given its all a base, they are voting political on what determines a culture...is that what our culture is? talentless and partisan? I guess if that is what we have evolved into, then sure...next up, nancy pelosi singing opera..I am sure she will do great, even if she can't carry a single note...because, well, she is political.

And on another note. I bet everyone reading this would pop a reported in the kisser if they said things about your wife/family like they do. Notice no one ever really says anything about Palin's husband. lol

Violence to respond to criticism...how very civil.
Palin's husband, the "first dude" keeps out of the limelight..the man deserves his peace because of that..that is not the issue. Sorry, but if you decide to go into the public eye, you open yourself personally to ridicule...so if I chose to make a thread ridiculing Bristol Palin herself, that would be perfectly acceptable considering she made the conscious effort to stand before the crowd verses just be offspring of someone else that did.
First dude, Trip, Leaf, Tigger, and all the rest of the palins that have taken a backseat to fame need no mention because they want privacy.

PS: My wife and I start Ballroom dancing next month and I can't wait. I am truly a lucky man to have such a beautiful woman wanting to be seen dancing with me. That's how I see it.

Congratulations...its actually really fun. Keep the spark alive by trying something new often and the marriage may never leave the "first year" feeling.
edit on 17-11-2010 by SaturnFX because: average post...star it

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
This thread is not a slam at Bristol Palin, or any Palin actually...I find them cute and folksy as a family...not someone I would want running my country, or even my neighborhood, but would be great at a party I imagine

They're practically evangelicals. I'd highly doubt their parties would be all that great.

But I'm sure they throw one hell of a eucharist.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I don't think this show is a case of rewarding mediocrity.

You have to take this show for what it is. A popularity contest with the winner dictated by Joe Public.

That means that you aren't being judged for your dancing talents alone. You are also getting judged, effectively, on how you sell your personality.

For the selling of personality, Bristol is doing a pretty good job. She is playing some good sympathy cards, ie: reformed teen mom, does community speaking, stays fairly humble, etc.

It might all be BS, but she does sell it pretty well on TV.

Add in that she "appears" to be trying very hard to improve, and you have a vote from a great many "average Americans".

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

edit on 17-11-2010 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
I don't think this show is a case of rewarding mediocrity.

You have to take this show for what it is. A popularity contest with the winner dictated by Joe Public.

That means that you aren't being judged for your dancing talents alone. You are also getting judged, effectively, on how you sell your personality.

For the selling of personality, Bristol is doing a pretty good job. She is playing some good sympathy cards, ie: reformed teen mom, does community speaking, stays fairly humble, etc.

It might all be BS, but she does sell it pretty well on TV.

Add in that she "appears" to be trying very hard to improve, and you have a vote from a great many "average Americans".

I have no doubt she is dancing her ass off to the best of her ability...and in itself, she could toast me in a dance off...maybe (been many years since I ballroom danced)..however, the concern is that talent is now clearly taking a backseat to popularity.

I understand America is the land of hollywood...we run everything not by merit but by popularity...but this I think is a flaw in our country.
Most "average" people say America is the best...yet beside the military, there is no real place to point at what we are best at...should we change it to reflect truth? America is the most popular brand...not the best, but definately popular. our culture, or science, our everything is super popular...and thats what we are...the popular young kid in the block.

the issue is...what happens when that popularity finally fades...what are we left with? broken schools, putting our most average people in charge of direction and image, etc...any single entity in and of itself isn't a problem...ok, some average show gets good ratings, some average person gets the top award, some average person becomes congressman, or president, etc...

its a growing...sweepingly growing trend to sneer at people whom have a gift, and make icons of those whom all but parody talent.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This was in the news this morning.

Authorities: Wis. man shoots TV over Palin dance

MADISON, Wis. – A rural Wisconsin man blasted his television set with a shotgun after watching Bristol Palin's "Dancing with the Stars" routine Monday night, saying he was fed up with politics and Palin wasn't a very good dancer, according to court documents.

Steven Cowan, 67, of the town of Vermont, about 15 miles west of Madison, then pointed the gun at his wife, 66-year-old Janice Cowan, who escaped and called police, authorities said. A SWAT team surrounded the couple's farmhouse, and officers were able to talk Cowan out Tuesday morning after an all-night standoff.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
You must be kidding, right? Who would watch a TV program where famous(?, who is Bristol Palin?) people dance with professional dancers?

Oh, that's right the American public. What a bunch of idiots. Thank you to our Public Schools and the teachers unions.

I actually DON'T agree with this. Don't get me wrong, the American Public are largely a bunch of idiots, but that's not why they watch these shows, nor is watching the show indicative of their idiocy. One has little to do with the other. There can be a case made that many stupid people watch these shows, but not all who watch them are idiots.

TV is there, mostly for our entertainment. If some are entertained by watching people dancing, that has no relationship to their intelligence. Have I made my point?

And yes, public schools are ONE reason for the idiocy of Americans. There are many others.

Originally posted by SaturnFX
America is the most popular brand...not the best, but definately popular. our culture, or science, our everything is super popular...and thats what we are...the popular young kid in the block.

SO true! And we're not very good at what we're doing. That popularity IS fading. We are becoming quite unpopular around the world. We have broken schools and we are putting our most average people in charge.

its a growing...sweepingly growing trend to sneer at people whom have a gift, and make icons of those whom all but parody talent.

Yes. Look at Joe the Plumber! He was an American icon.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You, of course, make excellent points. I guess we just see it differently. Heck, maybe I have been touched a little bit by the whole liberal concept of everybody getting something, or promoting lesser over better. Hmm.

this is about a blanding down of american culture

I agree. But I see if from the stand point that a no body (for a lack of better way of saying) can become something in America. Hard work, determination, some luck, good graces and hopfully support. Bristol. Well, we know enough that I think we can agree she was not starting life on a good foot forward principal.

She has a child, single, parent. The whole mother aspect, add your own there, and this crazy kid she has a child with. Well, for whatever reason, someone got her on the show. Okay, well, she's done better than most of us would. Can we admit that. I never heard of her falling etc.

Matter of fact, the one clip segment I saw, she looked pretty darn good. Which actually was the start of my wife and us dancing topic. So, on that point. Feel free to stretch that onto to Sarah Palin and her political career.

turn the tables against the msm...by integrating with it...great. so at least you admit by that statement that culture and reward should not be about an accomplished talent, but rather just how partisan you can be in a culture.

Again, I don't see it that way. I see it that they are taking opportunity and getting the most out of it. FIVE million people watched her Alaska show. Pretty impressive. I didn't see it but I didn't hear anything bad or political about it. Like one person posted (basically) good/clean family fun. No biggie. As far as talent. Just because someone who someone else deem a Judge-doesn't like or care for someone doesn't make it the law. The show is designed for the people to participate in. They do and they over-rule the judges. I don't think it is dumbing down etc. Just more people seeing it one way more than the other see it.

So you prefer no talent over experience...tell that to your doctor, your carpenter, your plumber, etc.

I see it simply as a TV show. Not a heart by-pass operation . I think you stretched the comparison. IMO.

I am not saying you are totally wrong with you point. I just don't see it with Ms. Palin and DWTS. And, I have to admit. I thought the Dancers were the real stars. So, shows how much I watch it (being honest).

Maybe I'll put up a post with video of me and the wife dancing. lol Everyone needs a laugh. Gotta run.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
For Bristol not being a professional dancer she hasn't done to bad,

I don't think it is fair or balanced putting performers up against an average person with no experience, even SO has danced with his wife and would have had an edge over Bristol,

For me it is watching someone learn to dance, I always like the underdog in these situations.

And I am always surprised how well the sport figures do in this competition, love watching those graceful big guys.

OH well

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Storm, I agree, she has done fine for someone who is not a dancer. Much better than I or many others would do. But the point is, why does she continue to be voted in, when she is clearly not as graceful, or doing as well as others who have been voted off?

You must surely know she is riding the coattails of her mother?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by tonypazzohome

i'm not "a chick"
That was my guess.

dance is a wonderful art.

True. Does that qualify Ms. Palin as an artist?

sorry you can't see that.

Oh, but I do. My children dance. Ballet, tap, and flamenco.
So, you would say that 'Dancing with the Stars' will open me up to the world of fine art if I start watching?

of course not. just saying its a nice alternative to what is otherwise shown on prime time television. its the antithesis of the law and order type crap which rehashes fear based themes and violence.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

I don't find dancing or law and order on the National Geographic channel. There is more on TV than crap or fluff.

I think some shows that are on Nickelodeon and Disney are among the worst on TV, and that is what molds a lot of young minds. Those shows tend to mix crap with fluff, IMO.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Bristol Palin is a mediocre dancer. This show is able EXCELLENCE in dancing. She should have been gone weeks ago. Many better dancers have been sent home and somehow she has remained. I believe that she is being kept in by the Palin Effect and the Tea Party. Some of the sites have the phone number on their home page for people to vote for her without even seeing her dance. It is a political statement on a show that should be fun and entertaining.

The best is to be rewarded on this show and right now it is not. However the best dancer is still there and if she does not win in the end it will be a vote for Sarah Palin and not her daughter. The Palin's are very good at playing to their audience and we should all be aware that they will take media whereever they can get it to go!

Beware, this is just the start of the Palin Effect and it is gonna be scary! Americans please wake up! This show is for fun, but the effect and the snowball effect that this family is trying to get going is not going to be good for this country in the long run!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MimiG

I just had a scary thought.

conservative mainstream entertainment...nothing but endless hunting channels, average people doing things, and endless reruns of world war 2 movies...not to mention science channel completely eliminated from the air and in its place, christian tv.

say hello to the dark ages 2.0

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join