It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dancing With The Stars - Rewarding mediocrity, the Palin Effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This thread is not a slam at Bristol Palin, or any Palin actually...I find them cute and folksy as a family...not someone I would want running my country, or even my neighborhood, but would be great at a party I imagine.

The problem I am seeing is not even the television show (I simply don't watch it.), but the response to this does throw a warning flag up.

Team Palin is a average dancer (average dancer...meaning far better than my two left footed way, but in regards to people whom truely do something pro, they don't match up to the top). This is agreed upon by the judges, and even the voters that call in..

She is being passed week after week, being voted above others that actually have real talent. It is found out of course that it is more political than rewarding excellence.
There is also a move going on about how they are being voted on because of how like the viewer they are...on cnn, there was someone saying they vote for bristol because they are in fact not excellent, but rather "real".

Why are we now discouraging as a society excellence, and propping up the average in society? do you go to a comedian that is not overly funny but reminds you of yourself? Do you go to a doctor that isn't very good, but you could have a beer with him? Why would we reward -anyone- for being average at what they do?

This "everyman" nonsense is starting to turn mainstream...we are demanding gray in our culture as a whole (not everyone). This is a devolution of society. You can make an argument that we shouldn't strictly reward people based on experience but rather effort...however, that ship don't float. Both the excellent and the average are putting in maximum effort, some people are simply a bit better than others.

So whats your thoughts...is it a good thing that we are no longer questing to be the best? This show may be trash, but is it a sign of how the culture as a whole is going?

Mods...feel free to dance this thread to wherever it belongs.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

This 'Dancing with the Stars', you say it is a television program?

You must be kidding, right? Who would watch a TV program where famous(?, who is Bristol Palin?) people dance with professional dancers?

Oh, that's right the American public. What a bunch of idiots. Thank you to our Public Schools and the teachers unions.

ETA: Can you post a list of sponsors for that show, so I can be sure that I don't buy the products? They may be putting something into them to make people even stupider.

edit on 17-11-2010 by butcherguy because: to add

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They pitted as kid with no experience in the entertainment field what so ever, against performers, I wonder if they they just wanted to make a fool of her anyway,

Then they were shocked that she did better then they expected, From what I can see she has worked hard and doing well all thing considered.

I don't think it is fair to pit a dancer like Jenifer Gray against Bistol, why do they do this?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hi. I've noticed it too. Fact is, she is not a very good dancer, and her scores are lower than the others, so what's keeping her in are the votes.

For her mother.

But I'm not sure it's indicative of anything on a grander scheme. Just some frustrated and smitten Palin fans who have found a way to vote for her, by supporting her daughter. (Might never have another chance.)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by SaturnFX

This 'Dancing with the Stars', you say it is a television program?

You must be kidding, right? Who would watch a TV program where famous(?, who is Bristol Palin?) people dance with professional dancers?

Oh, that's right the American public. What a bunch of idiots. Thank you to our Public Schools and the teachers unions.

ETA: Can you post a list of sponsors for that show, so I can be sure that I don't buy the products? They may be putting something into them to make people even stupider.

edit on 17-11-2010 by butcherguy because: to add

what's wrong with a show that highlights ballroom dancing? its very entertaining regardless of who is dancing. the music is live, there's no murder, no rape, none of that other prime time crap to bring you down.

and to the op, if you've never seen the show then how do you know how badly palin danced? she was voted through because she ISN'T a celebrity. unlike her competitors she was humble and not conceited like some others who were voted off.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The problem I am seeing is not even the television show (I simply don't watch it.), but the response to this does throw a warning flag up.

Team Palin is a average dancer (average dancer...meaning far better than my two left footed way, but in regards to people whom truely do something pro, they don't match up to the top). This is agreed upon by the judges, and even the voters that call in..

Just a few comments. I've never seen the show either. The extent I know about it that Palin is on it from seeing a few news headlines that she was. I'm not sure why that is news. Heck, I'm not even sure how the show manages to get any viewers - but I guess that could be another thread.

So, I really don't know what is going on, who's good, who votes for who or any of that. Given that you admit you don't watch it either - can you point us toward a source?

Not having seen the show or read anything I'm guessing blind - but here would be my guesses given just the info from your OP. It could be any number of things..

1. People could not like the judges and be voting as much against them (or their opinions) as much as for her. It wouldn't be the 1st time it happened.

2. Sometimes people go for "likeable" or someone they can relate to with mediocre skills over "good". I'll use politics as an example - and even hit both parties. Bush & Biden - Both seem like kind of dumb, gaffe prone guys that might be cool to have a beer with (at least to me). Neither seemed like Presidential or VP material - but that is where they ended up. In other words, sometimes being likable will win more people over than skill.

3. It could be someone is rigging the vote. Kind of like how the founder of 4chan was won Time's poll for the most Influential Person in the World last year.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

what's wrong with a show that highlights ballroom dancing? its very entertaining regardless of who is dancing.

I guess there's nothing wrong with it.....

If you are a chick.

Some of my more controlled co-workers complain that their wives make them watch it.

I'm lucky I guess, my wife doesn't watch it.

edit on 17-11-2010 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I guess there's nothing wrong with it.....

If you are a chick.

Some of my more controlled co-workers complain that their wives make them watch it.

I'm lucky I guess, my wife doesn't watch it.

i'm not "a chick" and i find it entertaining. dance is a wonderful art. sorry you can't see that.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Oh Noooooooooes,
I never would have thought that the topic of Dancing With the Stars would end up on ATS!

How much lower can this go

No star, and no flag!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It is a popularity contest not a talent contest.

The viewing public votes each week on their favorite.

The same people who are voting for her are the same ones who voted for her mom and that old guy.

Why anybody would watch that show and any of those, "not talent but popularity" shows is beyond me.

Only show that is worth watching is."The Amazing Race".

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No disagreement from me.

However, Mrs. Overlord and I dance (really, seriously, we have a killer Salsa and it's fun exercise to do together), so for us the show can be entertaining -- so long as talented "stars" progress appropriately through the season. But we've certainly never once considered "voting" for any of the "contestants."

I do agree that Palin's progress on the show is indicative of the nation's slow and deliberate decline toward embracing average and below-average (which Palin is on all accounts). Political campaigns vilify the "intellectual elite" (I want the smartest person available running the country). Schools are eliminating the "F" grade. Grammar/syntax is ignored when posting online (and those commenting on it are attacked). "Reality TV" embraces idiocy and personality train wrecks.

We stopped watching a few weeks back for this very reason. In fact, not long ago we ditched cable TV entirely in favor of getting the few shows we watch via Internet sources.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
I never would have thought that the topic of Dancing With the Stars would end up on ATS!

Neither did I, and my first reaction was to move this to the TV forum in Off-Topic. (Still might depending on how it goes)

However, there's a compelling connection to be made regarding the show (and recent results) and how it's representing a cultural trend where excellence is no longer embraced.
edit on 17-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Not to be fresh here, but would you care to watch the progression of the children in my kids local dance class?

It can be a struggle sitting through the recitals some years.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You don't know much about dancing. The girl is stiff and not exactly a creative dancer. I don't have any beef against her, but the OP is quite correct. People are only voting for her because of her momma and it's silly. As for Jennifer Grey being a professional-No, she isn't. She is an actress who happed to be in a movie in which she danced quite well. She was trained to do those dances. Palin could be just as good if she put the time into it. Frankly, there is something she holds back when I watch her. She seems affected. It's like she's afraid to make a mistake. She needs to let go, she would look better on the dance floor.

Now here's her tango.
www.youtube.com...
Notice how stiff she is. It's a yawn-inducing dance. The unimpassioned tango I've seen in quite a long time. I've seen housewives put out more emotion than Palin did.
Now here's Brandy.
www.youtube.com...
Brandy isn't a pro-She's a singer. Yet she holds her own with Jennifer. And though there is a mistake here, on the whole I think she puts out more feeling than Palin did.
And Jennifer.
www.youtube.com...
Grey is 50, if anyone has the advantage it's Palin.

Personally, I was pulling for Brandy. She's been working hard.
edit on 17-11-2010 by antonia because: RAWR

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I only wish the general public was as fascinated with the political process, the corrupt undercurrents of our system as a whole, the methods of wealth consolidation, the world-side economic agenda and things of that ilk as they are with Bristol Palin's shenanigans on Shuffling With Drunk and Morally Bankrupt Celebrities.

It would appear to me that a majority of the human race is more intent on numbing the frontal lobe via television to the point of submission to those who design such intellectual pabulum rather than giving a rat's ass about mastering even a small percentage of their own destiny.

While the judges on this Dancing with the Stars show may reward mediocrity, it is clear that the powers that be encourage lethargy, complacency and stupidity.

No wonder humanity is swirling the bowl.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Dont you know?

If Republicans have to share anything, they will complain about people of "lesser ability" getting as much as they do.
If a Republican is of lesser ability, they are just "folksy" and "a real person like me".
Just another double standard.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I do agree that Palin's progress on the show is indicative of the nation's slow and deliberate decline toward embracing average and below-average (which Palin is on all accounts). Political campaigns vilify the "intellectual elite" (I want the smartest person available running the country). Schools are eliminating the "F" grade. Grammar/syntax is ignored when posting online (and those commenting on it are attacked). "Reality TV" embraces idiocy and personality train wrecks.

GO AWAY, 'BATIN!
If you have not seen "Idiocracy" watch it now....

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

i'm not "a chick"
That was my guess.

dance is a wonderful art.

True. Does that qualify Ms. Palin as an artist?

sorry you can't see that.

Oh, but I do. My children dance. Ballet, tap, and flamenco.
So, you would say that 'Dancing with the Stars' will open me up to the world of fine art if I start watching?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
If you have not seen "Idiocracy" watch it now....

It's long been one of my favorite movies, and does an excellent job of showcasing the societal decline we're discussing here.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Shuffling With Drunk and Morally Bankrupt Celebrities.

How can you demean 'fine art' like that and still live with yourself?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join