It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Bans Toys in Happy Meals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I searched and searched for this on here, but I didnt get any results.

Article

San Francisco's board of supervisors has voted, by a veto-proof margin, to ban most of McDonald's Happy Meals as they are now served in the restaurants.

The measure will make San Francisco the first major city in the country to forbid restaurants from offering a free toy with meals that contain more than set levels of calories, sugar and fat.

The ordinance would also require restaurants to provide fruits and vegetables with all meals for children that come with toys.

"We're part of a movement that is moving forward an agenda of food justice," said Supervisor Eric Mar, who sponsored the measure. "From San Francisco to New York City, the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country is making our kids sick, particularly kids from low income neighborhoods, at an alarming rate. It's a survival issue and a day-to-day issue."

Again, I used the search function many times and came up with nothing.

I was watching the Daily Show and Lewis Black commented on this, which led me to see if anyone has posted this on ATS, and it looks like nobody has yet. The city that gives clean syringes to heroin addicts now bans toys in certain happy meals.

"From San Francisco to New York City, the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country is making our kids sick, particularly kids from low income neighborhoods, at an alarming rate. It's a survival issue and a day-to-day issue." ......What happened to freedom of choice?

Fortunantly, the "ban" dosent ban every happy meal toy -

Under the ordinance, scheduled to take effect in December 2011, restaurants may include a toy with a meal if the food and drink combined contain fewer than 600 calories, and if less than 35% of the calories come from fat.

Salad and diet coke pretty much...

Mcdonalds Nutrition Facts PDF

Lets see how well this ban works.......

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Wait wait wait...
Sanny Franny gives out free clean syringes now? I thought that was only in Amsterdam? I'm confused how this is allowed by the DEA, though it's a swell gesture from those who are open-minded enough to care about drug addicts. I wish I had known about this when I was a heroin addict. At the same time, I'm glad I never heard of this until now.
AS to the Happy Meals, I'm not so sure how putting regulations on the distribution of toys will effect childrens' diets. They want to include fresh veggies and fruits into the happy meals, but those fresh foods are becoming just as poisonous, and less tasty. I think they ought to reduce the sizes of the meals to meet the required levels of calories that the average child burns in a day if they want to effectively reduce obesity in the children. On average, that required level has decreased because of the sedentary lifestyle of America, as we all know. In that regard, even introducing "fresh" veggies and fruits may not help reverse the destructive diets of children as much as is generally accepted. Too much of anything is never good. That includes even vegetables, at least according to yogic dietary philosophy. The idea of ridding toys from happy meals is to reduce its glitter and shine to a child. Well, if I owned a McDonald's that was victim of such a regulation, I would simply sell the toy on the side, and be sure that the cashier mentions the available toy for 99 cents whenever a person chooses to order a happy meal...
I mean, come on. Our thinking is too superficial. Though it is in the right direction, the steps are too small, and it is making the journey towards the betterment of society a hassle rather than a blessing

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Mayor Gavin Newsom has vetoed this bill, so it won't become law in San Francisco.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

The board has a veto-proof margin.

San Francisco's board of supervisors has voted, by a veto-proof margin, to ban most of McDonald's Happy Meals as they are now served in the restaurants.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

GO JAMIE! This is thanks to Jamie Oliver, a famous British chef who has tried to convert America to good food.

He is amazing - he fought a lot of people who hated him.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have no idea what you are all on about, but the topic was discussed previously (a week or so ago) so..

I'll just slip back into the curtains, because you scare me a lot.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I detest McDonalds so-called food, but I don't need a stupid patrol like the Toy Police. Sheesh.

What's happened to free markets?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelpusher
I detest McDonalds so-called food, but I don't need a stupid patrol like the Toy Police. Sheesh.

What's happened to free markets?

" fr###kin "FOOD JUSTICE!" did I actually read that comment?? I wonder if there was a jury of its peers involved.???
I think the "Hamburglars" days are numbered.They should stay outta' my lunch bag its none of their business; ha:

"food justice!"

I hold them "in contempt" in the food court of public opinion.
edit on 17-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2010 by 46ACE because: structure

new topics

top topics

join