It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal War on Sidewalk Chalk Begins! 2 Arrested.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

OMG! That is WONDERFUL!

I can't believe it. I have waited to see this. While watching the video I thought of lyrics from a Manowar song. "When they see us, they will run for their lives. To the end, they will pay for their lies. So long did we wait. Now we are home."

Can you believe this?!!! This is incredible! There are protesters now at the Federal buildings! There seems a cultural change has been brewing enough to nonviolently storm the fortresses. BEAUTIFUL!

That young man's arm bent to touch the back of his head. His silence, and absolute dedication to his mission: scrawling on the sidewalk with chalk. His cries of pain as he is carted into some glass covered dungeon. AMAZING!

I'm blown away. I dearly hope kinship with those chalk scrawlers. The courage! The gentle yet honor-filled pleas and remonstrances. HOLY COW if the black clothed kidnappers not choose to heed their petitions (even if- and especially if they're scrawled in chalk).

WOW!

Please do forgive me very emotion filled response to watching these heroes. What a wonderful attempt to make a simple statement, and what a terrifying response of brutality and tyranny! Holy cow!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
You give these pigs an inch, they'll take a mile. That's what pigs do. Have we learned our lesson yet? Pigs don't care about rights, law, or morality. Pigs care about power, and the abuse of it. They GET OFF ON IT. Why give that to them?

If you are gonna do ANYTHING, don't let them see you doing it.
edit on 17-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Southern Guardian, I don't understand how you can be actually against living in a free country. You refer to Somolia as "the most free country" as if that is an example of freedom. What is your favorite country then? China? Nazi Germany? The more authoritarian the state, the better? Is that your argument? Your take on freedom makes little sense to me.

Also, your notion that drawing on a public sidewalk using chalk causes harm is ridiculous. I challenge you to tell me who was hurt and how badly by the drawing.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

So, juries will base their verdict on things written in chalk on the sidewalk? If that is jury tampering then there is nothing wrong with it. If "Free Pat Kanning" will cause a jury to rule "not guilty" then so be it... the problem would clearly be a retarded jury... not freedom of expression. Now if the chalk said... "Free Pat Kanning.... or else!" then you'd actually have a case.

The right to freedom of expression can't be over-ruled just because people are making an important decision. I have a right to express that I want someone to be freed from jail if I strongly object to them being in jail so long as I'm not harassing the jury about it. If the request turns into harassment only then do you have a problem.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

You show a complete lack of understand of both the idea of public property, and a impartial jury system.

The jury: Is supposed to base their case SOLELY on what they observe in the court room.

Secondly: Public property is public property. It is not private property. Public property means everyone owns it, not just the loudest, dumbest and most dramatic protesters in the country. One person does not decide what should be drawn on the side walk, do you know why? because they are a complete fraction of a fraction of a fraction that pays for that public property. Claiming they have a right to draw on it because it is public property is over looking the many many millions of people that pay on it that may not want it to be drawn on.

They were outside a Federal court house, I'm glad these loud mouth, ignorant hippies were arrested because it would be a sad sight it the officers let them just run around and do whatever the hell they wanted where order is meant to be maintained.

Get with reality and stop your blind war against every portion of the government and maybe you will understand that these officers did the right thing. They were extremely lenient with these people given how incredibly forceful they could have been in detaining them.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by civilchallenger
freeconcord.wordpress.com...

He had to suffer some arm injury - I haven't seen anyone's arm go that far up their back - I certainly couldn't do it without being ripping some tendons. Common Sense = RIP

edit on 11/17/2010 by ararisq because: Removed video

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
If you want to protest something, then lead by example. Be the change you want to see. I see nothing productive in any of this.

You realize Gandhi is dead right? He was the change he wanted to see and well he changed nothing. He inspired many to be that change they wanted to see, and well they also changed nothing. If this whole facade of liberty wasn't one big case of "false-advertising" then people drawing easily erasable chalk on the sidewalk would probably happen less if at all.

I don't necessarily agree these people were approaching the situation in a very practical manner but don't join the side that wants to control every aspect of your life just to spite their feeble attempts at getting attention to their concerns. It is not in your best interest.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

You show a complete lack of understand of both the idea of public property, and a impartial jury system.

The jury: Is supposed to base their case SOLELY on what they observe in the court room.

Secondly: Public property is public property. It is not private property. Public property means everyone owns it, not just the loudest, dumbest and most dramatic protesters in the country. One person does not decide what should be drawn on the side walk, do you know why? because they are a complete fraction of a fraction of a fraction that pays for that public property. Claiming they have a right to draw on it because it is public property is over looking the many many millions of people that pay on it that may not want it to be drawn on.

They were outside a Federal court house, I'm glad these loud mouth, ignorant hippies were arrested because it would be a sad sight it the officers let them just run around and do whatever the hell they wanted where order is meant to be maintained.

Get with reality and stop your blind war against every portion of the government and maybe you will understand that these officers did the right thing. They were extremely lenient with these people given how incredibly forceful they could have been in detaining them.

Please spare me from your idealist pie in the sky notions about government and lets get back to reality. The *reality* of the situation was that the drawing on the sidewalk did not do harm to anybody. Hopefully you can come to terms and get back down to Earth. Go ahead and tell me who was hurt by the sidewalk chalk. Go ahead. I'm waiting. I'm just turning the tables on you because you're portraying a practicality as an idealist when its the exact opposite.

One person can decide what to draw on the sidewalk with sidewalk chalk which is not vandalism as it washes out in the next rain. But it is free expression of ideas, beliefs, and opinions.

You show zero understanding of freedom of expression. The right to an impartial jury is true. And this is why they should decide the case based on facts rather than what they saw written in chalk outside on the sidewalk. If a jury is compromised over sidewalk chalk you've got a jury retardation problem, not a jury tampering problem. You don't understand the difference between tampering with a jury and stating your opinion in a public place.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is from 2008:

It seems ignorant as a citizen to want to stop people from using washable chalk to express themselves because the alternative is clearly a non-washable paint. Not to mention that as a rally activity it clearly doesn't have criminal intent and won't reoccur on a continual basis. As I said COMMON SENSE = RIP.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
For instance: as most anyone can walk up to and upon it, would you consider your porch 'public property' or a sidewalk (assuming you do not have a fence surrounding your property)?

If you paid for my porch, then I would consider it your property.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm am certainly no fan of cops when they act up. But, in looking at the vids I honestly can't see the officers did anything out of line here in the way they did the arrests.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

While this is a valid point, it does not justify the security guards' knee-jerk violent response. Unless there really is a law against non-destructive chalk messages on publicly-owned property, there was no reason to detain anyone.

An alternative response would be to go out with a hose and wash away the messages as they were being written. After all, people certainly have a right to keep public walkways clean. This would have INvalidated the protesters' message and simultaneously covered them in muddy water if they chose to continue sitting there playing with the chalk.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

UUFFF im glad my kids do this stuff on the playground.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Now Obama can reconnect with voters with a War on Sidewalk Chalk. He can create a Sidewalk Czar and protect us by imposing sweeping new powers and security measures. Maybe just maybe they may even clean up all those lemonade stands too!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
Why is it that almost 90% of the time, the people involved in these protests or the people who support them don't know the first thing about what constitutes free speech and public property?

Please, do tell.

From my understanding, if it is publicly owned property, that means the chalk scratchers own it.

Not quite true. They co-own it with the rest of the public. I'm pretty sure that they didn't buy these tiles in front of the courthouse so they can have a protest.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The human mind is horribly easily influenced. Any messages other than what they see in the court room can cause an unfair bias. They did this infront of court house. Not only did they do this infront of a court house, they did this in front of and on the entrance to the court house

Now here's the real question; What were they protesting in that place? Who was being tried there that day. I guarantee there is more to this story.

Freedom of expression is not freedom to draw on public property.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by james404

It wasn't a violent knee jerk response.

You want to see a violent knee jerk response, you would have seen me arresting that guy that was still drawing. He would have more than just his fake scream. Those cops were EXTREMELY kind to him compared to what they could have done. Nor were they violent with the woman.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
They should have used something more perminant like acid and etched their msg into the cement.

Would be the same crime.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
Next, they should go out and spell their messages out with flower stalks and see if they get the same treatment.

A couple of years ago in New Haven, CT a group of runners didnt want to make any marks or waste so they used a spoonful of flour to mark their groups route that day. A spoonful on each turn and intersection.

Long story short every government agency had the city shut down for the day and the "terrorists" were hit with some crazy fine up around $30K for their "terror scare."

It's not worth participating in this worlds bull# anymore.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think there is a law about keeping political messages a certain distance from the court house or the court house door.
I think here it is 50 feet. It may vary in different areas, and my be different for Federal Courts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join