It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What diseases does it take to make a zombie?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

Only one made in Hollywood.

Sorry but the truth is Zombies, Demonslayers, vampires, werewolves, and superhuman serial killers who kill people through their dreams~~~~~ ALL FICTION!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
What diseases does it take to make a zombie?

One damn good imagination..........

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If Rabies ever went airborne we may very well see a "zombie-like" outbreak of violence and madness.
Symptoms of Rabies are vast, and include (may vary depending on who/what's infected)
-Aggression
-Craving to eat anything, even things that are inedible.
-Fearlessness
-Fever
-Partial Paralysis
-Spasms
-Blurred Vision
-Loss of speech
-Restlessness
-Roaming
-Drooping of the lower jaw
-etc

Sounds a bit zombie-like if you ask me. Now multiply that times a few hundred in your town or neighborhood, and you've got yourself a "zombie outbreak". And the fact that the Virus is contracted through bite is very zombie-like (though if it were airborne, it'd be much more terrifying).

A "zombie" isn't confined to the definition of the walking dead. It also means: a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Now if we're only talking about "Dead Zombies", then it may be possible in the future with the help of Nano bots. In a future where people are injected with nanos to help keep them alive or in good health, there is the chance that the person may die, while the nanos keep the body alive. This is very science fiction right now, but in the foreseeable future, it is completely plausible. Especially in the event of self replicating nanos which could be contracted through bite or scratch while continuing the programmed necessary activity of feeding. These problem bots would then pass from person to person like a plague.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
When people think of zombies they think the walking dead, but if it's dead and walking, then it's not really dead is it, because dead implies a total shut down of all functions, that means not able to walk or anything. There are drugs and chemicals that can mess with the mind and biology of the human body, and like some people said here some drugs like meth can make you act like a zombie only not after brains. I would like to say that it can't be done, but I think in the right circumstances and with the right biological weapons it could in all probability be done to an extent, kind of like in resident evil the video game. So there is some truth to the zombie Apocalypse thing, among all the joking and movie making if just only a small truth. People usually only look to the good things as civilization progresses in technology and biotechnology, but like in all things can't have the good without the bad, who knows what this civilization might be able to do in a couple thousand years or even less, if things steadily keep increasing in knowledge of biology.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Only one made in Hollywood.

Sorry but the truth is Zombies, Demonslayers, vampires, werewolves, and superhuman serial killers who kill people through their dreams~~~~~ ALL FICTION!

Phew!! Freddy can't get me. Or are you just pulling my leg?

Pred..

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I was reading in this book that it is caused by a virus known as solanum. however wheather there is any merit to this beats me. I enjoy Zombie movies but the idea they actually are out there or have the potentail to be out there is almost laughable. all the same I'll still sleep with a wepon by the bed lol

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Uhmm where to start?

Buyeritues
Ignoritus
Worshiperitus
Idolize-eritus

and sand can cause that, especially when you put your head in it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Weaponised Toxoplasmosis. If you are aware of it's effects on Rats you should be aware of what a weaponised variant would do.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Disease:addiction to meth

=

Rabid , uncontrollable , unpredictable zombie that will do anything to feed its most basic of needs...feeding the addiction...(like brains) some of them even look like zombies

Damn, you hit it right on the head with this post. I watching a documentary on Crystal Meth and one of the things that I remember thinking while they showed a bunch of those before & after pictures was the fact that they all looked like Zombies.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Belladonna. I am not sure if they make a tea out of it or eat it but the flower is very poisonous and a hallucinogenic. People in the Virgin Islands said it turned people into what most of us know as Zombies.

I know a guy who was tall and thin as a stick. Ashy-black with huge white teeth and bulging yellow white eyes with dilated pupils. He was always gritting his teeth, wearing sort of a twisted smile for no apparent reason.
Lindy would walk haltingly like Frankenstein up to tourists.
He would hold a long skinny arm out trembling, shaking hand and saying with his ghastly grin "gotta dolla?" People would give him the dollar just so he would go away.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Didn't they call boris yeltsin a virtual zombie in the 90's. Supposedly he was being targeted alot with weapons. For anyone who does not know, intelligence groups microwave people, and it brings on all sorts of effects. Moscows famous american embassey was famous for the americans there getting sick, and this is true, they where being targeted.

Boris yeltsin was supposedly targeted in 90's by whomever, and you see how he was.

The things humans do to others is just pure evil. Imagine if you had neighbours that where given weapons to use on your home?

Disgraceful.
edit on 11/17/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hard up satanists that have succumbed to eating pineal glands. They'd appear as zombies after your brain but they don't really want your brain, they're just trying to get to that thing.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Syphilis can cause severe problems resembling zombies:

Neurological complications at this stage can be diverse. In some patients manifestations include generalized paresis of the insane, which results in personality changes, changes in emotional affect, hyperactive reflexes and Argyll-Robertson pupil. This is a diagnostic sign in which the small and irregular pupils constrict in response to focusing the eyes, but not to light. Tabes dorsalis, also known as locomotor ataxia, a disorder of the spinal cord, often results in a characteristic shuffling gait. See below for more information about neurosyphilis

Magnum

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I wonder if any scientists have tried creating some kind of disease to make people want to feed on each other?

Just think it could be a really terrible weapon to use on a country providing you could contain it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You know I had a friend you did a report kind of about this in my college English class and for his references he had this huge paper written by some doctor who wrote about this kind of thing, what diseases etc. I'll ask him to send me a link to it

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well, I just read all the comments, and I hadnt thought of Death= No motor functions... but what is death? I know, stupid question, but if the zombies brains are somehow still active, arent they still "alive"? and if the brain is active, cant it still send signals to different parts of the body to move different parts, or even have the craving for flesh? I think a drug/disease would have to stop the cognitive thinking processes, and overload some primal instincts, like the need to eat, and the need to "live". As we all know, there are tribes, and have been tribes all over the world who have used cannibalism.. If u need an example, look at Hannibal Lector, or the Soccer team that crashed into the mountains (excuse me, but I dont know the name of the team right off hand). Granted, Hannibal was one sick man, but the need to survive and the need to eat forced the Soccer team to actually eat human flesh. So, if their primal instincts kicked in, who's to say that a disease or drug cant overload the system, and shut down the cognitive thinking process?

Afterthought: In "The Walking Dead" you also saw the zombies eat a rat, a deer, and a horse.. so whos to say its only human flesh?
edit on 11/17/2010 by Angelsoftheapocalypse because: Afterthought to my original thought

Afterthought #2: Also, I believe that a Zombie would have to be made from a contagious disease that spreads like rabies.. why? well, because one, if it was airborne, everyone would be zombies, two, if it was a drug induced zombie, how would it spread?
edit on 11/17/2010 by Angelsoftheapocalypse because: 2nd afterthought...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Sadly this is a subject that I often find myself thinking about. - god knows why....

But with all the flicks out there Im expecting the next world changing disaster to be either an alien invasion or a zombie attack, but it will probabaly just be another earthquake.

but who knows i mean if you take a human down to its base impulse it will eat sleep kill and mate, then you have the resident evil take on things where the last amount of eletricity in the body when it dies keeps it going on its prial istict ,, yeah i believe it coud happen. maybe not 50 years ago but with modern movies and the annoying way they have of explaining the most unthinkable senarios in a believable way it does get you worried sometimes

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
this is the only thing i can think that could cause a zombie outbreak

www.mindfully.org...

if they try this on humans then it could go wrong.....

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ok so here are the links to this Harvard Psychiatrist explaining the symptoms and other things of zombies, it's actually quite amusing and he even produces a name for it, Ataxic Neurodegenerative Satiety Deficiency Syndrome.

The Article

Radio Interview Explaining it
edit on 17-11-2010 by tyclm8690 because: I wanted to enter the name of the the zombie syndrome

<< 1    3 >>

join