It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What diseases does it take to make a zombie?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have been watching "the walking dead" on AMC, and every time i watch a "Zombie Flick" i always wonder, what diseases or disease would it take to make zombies? like the mad flesh/brains eating kind... (not the kind you see in "I Am Legend") I would think that it would take a combination of diseases such as mad cow disease, and some kind of flu. The one thing I always get stuck on though, is what disease would make someone or something want to consume so much flesh? By the way, just a side note. if there ever was a Zombie Apocalypse, the safest place would be waaay out in the country. Think about it, what Zombie would or could walk that far just to pick your brain?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I heard somewhere, that the night of the living dead was based on a real event. I could be lying though.

The idea of zombies has always intrigued me though. I don't know why but I would love it if the world were like that. Does that make me weird?

As long as I had lots of guns and ammo I'd be good.

Pred...
edit on 16-11-2010 by predator0187 because: Yeah

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't know about diseases but there should be some drugs out there that completely take away ones will. I doubt this is the kind of zombie you where referring to.

Imho zombies are a perfect excuse for holywood (no typo) to make a gore movie, without all the moral fuss about killing humans.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Disease:addiction to meth

=

Rabid , uncontrollable , unpredictable zombie that will do anything to feed its most basic of needs...feeding the addiction...(like brains) some of them even look like zombies

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
There is no such thing as zombies.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The good think about Walking Dead is it's a bloody good show
I just finished emailing a mate about it. Hes an uber slacker so will take 24 years to even read the email, but still.

And in this, they are not slowly turned into zombies, but rather get a very high fever which kills the body, but then resurrect as the nom nom nom braaainss monster.

I dunno, they way they portray the half decayed bodies in this, as long as the brain is intact, seems well done to me.

And they don't eat each other because they all smell dead. Finally - an answer to "Why don't the zombies kill each other if they're just mindless killing brain eating corpses...".. they don't smell fresh!

ahheh.. Where is sons of anarchy tho, I want my good shows now..

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Disease:addiction to meth

=

Rabid , uncontrollable , unpredictable zombie that will do anything to feed its most basic of needs...feeding the addiction...(like brains) some of them even look like zombies

Lmao... wow you must know some real dregs...

As a former... umm nah..

But then, humans are beasts even without drugs, so instant cretin, just add (insert substance).

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

What about if a person gets rabies? Kind of like a zombie...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

LoL ive known some , and ive known some that werent that bad......i just thought it was humorous

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I thought by the fictional definition, zombies are dead. The walking dead. I do see your point, though.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

The show is fanstastic...I suppose if you have not seen it it's worth watching the episodes on demand...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Addiction to opioids, coc aine, Meth or Ecstasy.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
DRUGS....see it in the emergency room every night. last saturday night we had tie 2 people to the bed while treating them. they come in out of control, no idea who they are or where they are....swearing and spitting, then we use legal drugs to knock them out.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

legal drugs... If only ibogaine was on that list you could have really helped them.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Rabies: temporary zombie, may hijack common sense, and CNS. zombifies you till it kills you. no undeath
theres nothing else really

zombies CANT exist, because theyd be dead, meaning the cells of the body would generally cease function, meaning no more ATP creation, which is your energy. No ATP, no movement. No movement, no zombies.

As much as I want a zombie apocalypse, an alien apocalypse is 10^1000000x more likely to happen...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Marriage is the disease.....

though i guess if you had rabies, a flesh eating bacteria, and a good pain killer/muscle relaxer you could fake it!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
THIS

The patient suffers increasing insomnia, resulting in panic attacks, paranoia, and phobias. This stage lasts for about four months. Hallucinations and panic attacks become noticeable, continuing for about five months. Complete inability to sleep is followed by rapid loss of weight. This lasts for about three months. Dementia, during which the patient becomes unresponsive or mute over the course of six months. This is the final progression of the disease, resulting in death.

AND

THIS

A virtually eradicated disease that eats through people's skin, cartilage and bones is reappearing in Africa, Asia and South America, the World Health Organization warned Thursday.

Death by lack of sleep...no thanks

edit on 16-11-2010 by HollowJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HollowJacket

I thought you died after 11 days of no sleep. These people must be micro-napping. I think it's impossible to not sleep.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Yeah thats what I thought too. apparently the last 3 months its like a vegetative state. ALSO.....

Related conditions

There are other diseases involving the mammalian prion. Some are transmissible (TSEs) such as kuru, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, also known as "mad cow disease")

This condition is a very close relative of our old friend mad cow

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I really enjoy "The Walking Dead" too (I was so excited when I saw they were making it - I could hardly wait until the series premier).

Anyway, on topic, I found this one a while ago 7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail Quickly and then found this one more recently: 5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen

Enjoy!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join