It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Shift in Student Majority

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I would like to know what others think of this growing issue. Since eventually it will be an issue everywhere not only in california. The issue I am referring to is of non-whites no longer being the minority. Recently Hispanics have become the majority in the educational system in California. The main thing that has been bothering me recently with this is listening to opinions of people on talk radio. While I know most of the show hosts say "controversial" things to boost ratings and please their worshipers, mostly all of this shows callers were in agreement with him when he said that whites should now be given minority status to protect them in the school system. However, his rationale was that the new hispanic majority would lower education standards.

Anyway, what has been bothering me is that this guy used to mock minority status and call it unamerican but now all of a sudden that his kids may have access to it he now agrees with the protections afforded to people deemed the minority. Could this be a chance for Whites who do not understand what it means to be a minority? To truly understand where some racial/ethnic groups are coming from? Or will this just make racial tensions worse?

P.S. While I respect the opinion of all people I would like to ask anyone who has anything bigoted to say about the illegal issues or about minoritys being inferior to please not post on this thread. Thank you.

Like to article about the shift

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure whom you're talking about, but there is such a thing as satire, even among conservatives.

The idea of minority statuses and special considerations for them was a terrible idea to begin with and having lived with them my entire working life, I think it's high time they were scuttled once and for all.

I think that's what the talk show host is driving at.

Just a guess, though.

By the way, the article makes an excellent point, but I think the problem is more complex than stated.
edit on 2010/11/16 by GradyPhilpott because: added comment.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I understand what the host was driving at, and I can grasp how complex the situation will be for the future of California and the educational systems on many different levels, but I was not really talking about the political meaning of "minority" maybe I should have made that more clear. What I meant was there is a psychological element involved when someone is the minority in a situation. Which somewhat seeps into politics but that is more a symptom of when the laws(etc) were made and who was the majority at the time. I will put it this way, I know a man who is a counselor and he told me that never in his life did he understand the true meaning of being a "minority" until he was looking for somewhere to accumulate hours for his grad program and he ended up at a Lesbian Gay Bi and Transgender counseling office in an urban setting. I should add he was a straight white male.

Most people who are not victims of oppression in society (yes it exists, no not openly, no not on signs, but its there) fail to realize that it exists or understand how it works. It is often not intentional. But people who are the minority experience it day to day. Therefore, because in America Whites(straight) are the majority, and are often seen as the oppressors, I wanted to know if people thought this might change the way issue such as oppression, privilege, and the like are viewed by the average person.

edit on 17-11-2010 by acmpnsfal because: for clarification

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
In a related topic, I heard that the country was also being invaded as it were by Irish Catholics & that their presence in numbers would surely bring the nation down a notch. Man, I hope that doesn't happen, who knows what will become of our great Christian nation if the Irish Catholics are allowed to run amok.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Im pretty sure you missed the point.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Gift wrap California with a bow and hand it over to Mexico. Couldn't hurt.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
However, his rationale was that the new hispanic majority would lower education standards.

I should have added that quote to my earlier statement.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

I will just assume you did not read what I posted later in the thread, or the questions that I posed, and that you chose to be stuck on that one statement which obviously was not my opinion, I thought it would convey the mindset of the people who were calling into the show. Silly me.

top topics

join