It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Promote Rubbish Threads by Crying/Flaming!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Need I really mention the amount of rubbish threads there has been on ATS recently? This thread isn't to moan about people making rubbish threads, Its to ask you all not to mega bump them to the front page by filling them with flame.

Once somebody has already swiftly debunked a thread in a peaceful mature manner there is no reason for 100 other people to come in and flame the hell out of a thread with repetitive childishness, plastering useless threads all over the front page of ATS.

I've noticed that there seems to be some new fads/trends in this community and too be honest I'm starting to get sick of them;

1. Repeating what a peaceful dubunker has said but in a much more hostile manner hoping to get stars from the other hate-mongerers.
2. Arguing over petty issues and differences of opinions instead of talking through and debating the questions and issues raised by the OP.
3. Group bullying. If someone holds the same views as another person then they will often gang up to belittle someone else.

Need I go on?

All of the above promotes ignorant attitude and shows naivety on many different levels. This is not the playground, there is no need to be petty and hostile. Especially when it promotes junk to the front page of ATS whilst other important threads get ignored.

The point I'm getting at is that there are some bad apples that need to either behave and act mature, or get taken out of the basket altogether.

We are slowly losing what ATS once was.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Yeah, you need to go on and explain what's what.

I have put up 15 postings and I have received 4 flags.

Never got personal, never got confrontational, never got in anybody's face.

What kind of place is this anyway, eh?

Can somebody talk to me about this?

Shech--

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by shechaiyah

I apologise but I do not quite understand what you are asking of me or if you are directing a question at me at all.

Could you please reiterate?

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by shechaiyah

Flags are good, it brings your work to the attention of other members.

You have not done anything wrong!

In fact you are doing things right

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thank you. I didn't know whether I'm doing right or wrong.

I'd like to get on with putting up some photos, but I have participate in other threads first.

:shrug:

Shech--

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

The way it once was all the way back in February of this year?

IRM

edit on 17/11/10 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

The way it once was all the way back in February of this year?

IRM

edit on 17/11/10 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

I was a lurker on ATS for 2 years previous of my join date.

Another example of childish point scoring.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Why can't it just be ignored? I have seen some awful BS posts, and sometimes I think the OP was looking to get "beaten up".

If you have a problem with some of the posters I suggest ignoring them. If they don't get attention they won't keep posting.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

Why can't it just be ignored? I have seen some awful BS posts, and sometimes I think the OP was looking to get "beaten up".

If you have a problem with some of the posters I suggest ignoring them. If they don't get attention they won't keep posting.

That is exactly what I do. I do not see the point of flaming a useless thread so much that it gets pushed to the front page. It just encourages more people to throw more fuel on the fire. Making ATS a much less civilised place to be in.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Quite right.

I admit I have passed a comment or two on some really awful threads in the past, but I endeavour to restrain myself in future. If people took the time to thoughtfully reply to some of the better threads instead of wasting it on the terrible ones, those threads would fade into the background in no time.

Over the last while I've posted some (IMHO) informative and interesting threads on various subjects that are based in actual fact, events that are actually happening in world. Yet they're lost in the mire of threads about 'Immortals' , 'Messengers' and 'Prophets' .. some from the future, some from the past.. but ALL completely Fubar.

I'm not saying this because I wanted more replies or more stars etc, If the people who are interested in more realistic stories get to see them I'm happy, regardess of whether they reply or flag or whatever else. I'm just pointing out that's it's becoming disheartening for some of the more level headed users to see these nonsense threads get so much attention. It almost feels pointless to post anything that isn't about holes in the moon, or 100 foot long flying creatures.

But you're quite right, replying and flaming doesn't help the situation at all. I just wish people would think twice before starring and flagging so readily.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project-Sign
Quite right.

I admit I have passed a comment or two on some really awful threads in the past, but I endeavour to restrain myself in future. If people took the time to thoughtfully reply to some of the better threads instead of wasting it on the terrible ones, those threads would fade into the background in no time.

Over the last while I've posted some (IMHO) informative and interesting threads on various subjects that are based in actual fact, events that are actually happening in world. Yet they're lost in the mire of threads about 'Immortals' , 'Messengers' and 'Prophets' .. some from the future, some from the past.. but ALL completely Fubar.

I'm not saying this because I wanted more replies or more stars etc, If the people who are interested in more realistic stories get to see them I'm happy, regardess of whether they reply or flag or whatever else. I'm just pointing out that's it's becoming disheartening for some of the more level headed users to see these nonsense threads get so much attention. It almost feels pointless to post anything that isn't about holes in the moon, or 100 foot long flying creatures.

But you're quite right, replying and flaming doesn't help the situation at all. I just wish people would think twice before starring and flagging so readily.

It would appear that useless threads get all the stars and flags because there are a lot of useless users on ATS who like fantastically useless threads. Its a real shame.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I've been here a fairly long time. I read read read read read. I post occasionally. But, most times I read the thread and just click back to Recent Posts and find the next thread to read, without posting at all.
I read the nutty ones and usually scoff and deride them silently in my head as I go steadily down the thread of posts. The nutball statements/claims bring out the absolute a-hole in me and common sense gets screamed out in horrible language and heightened sarcasm all within the confines of my own little voice bouncing around my mind. I read most every thread I click on and only click back earlier if it really just goes beyond my tolerance of bovine patty.
I see the threads littered with vitriol, rudeness and spite. I see sarcasm that doesn't work. I see the "Young" posters with the text-speak replies and douchbaggery. I see the "Mature" posters who've caught on over the years and decided that despite the bait, they stick to discussable facts and interesting hypothocies (sic?).

(note- my "Young" and "Mature" references refer to posting age and style, not physical age)

I'd like ATS to be the idyllic site where only facts and wisdoms are presented and posted with, but, alas it is not. But, despite cries of the opposite, ATS has always been the repository of the over-the-horizon-from-believable and for as long as I have been here, there has been asshat responses to such threads.

And, with greater numbers in membership, comes more ass-hattery to sift through. Inevitable.

Your complaint, OP, is nothing new. It echoes of voices posting the same issues since ATS began. What it comes down to, in my humble opinion, is taking personal responsibility in the posts we etch here. Make YOUR post count. Make your best effort to bring the thread forward and if you don't think you can, don't try. Move along.

Meh. Good luck OP. Maybe the message we both seem to share will be heard. "Read more, post less."

Cuhail

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Thanks for your input, your thoughts are as of mine although more clearly presented.

If only I could star in this forum. Have a
instead.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Read more, post less

This has become my new creedo...I enjoyed what you said, Cuhail.
It is about all that can be done when we do not wish to "say" things we should not.

~holly

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
there's always been useless threads on ats.
what no one is considering is the growth and the type of poster ats draws.
i just ignore what i don't want to read, or usually read a thread till it digresses and then i move on.
i've basically only participated in polite and informative threads.
i have not had any of my op's turn sour yet.
in other words, the threads people are complaining about don't effect me because i'm not in them.
remember, this is ats, there will always be far more conspiratorial minded people than debunkers.
with this brings the unwanted element.
the more ats brings in advertisers, promotes itself, and invites a certain type,
the more there will be to complain about.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I'd like ATS to be the idyllic site where only facts and wisdoms are presented and posted with, but, alas it is not. But, despite cries of the opposite, ATS has always been the repository of the over-the-horizon-from-believable and for as long as I have been here, there has been asshat responses to such threads.

The truth is we live in a world of polar opposites that define what is wise and foolish through contrast provide by visibly defining fist the opposing ends of the spectrum.

It is the nonsensical threads and posters, that make the brilliant threads and posters stand out as they are.

Still one person’s rubbish is another person’s gold, and yes we all know there is something called ‘fool’s gold’ but hey if it keeps them happy and content as they bask in its shine and sparkle well at least they aren’t robbing liquor stores!

When I have poured my time and heart out into what I know is a truly worthwhile thread, I just start sending out U2U’s to people who have selected me as a friend, or I suspect will enjoy the thread.

I take the extra time and effort to make sure it will not only get attention, but get attention by people who will fairly consider it and intelligently respond.

Luck is actually when determination meets opportunity, so for those of you who believe that opportunity is being denied to you, by ‘junk’ threads, I would counter its being denied to you for lack of your own determination.

With hundreds of members logged on at anyone time, and thousands visiting each week, if you can’t take the time to figure out who shares your passion for certain topics and let them know you have a good thread, well then you can consider yourself a victim of fate, though proto considers you a victim of laziness!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I am a brand new member, just joined yesterday but I have read threads on ATs for a few months and my motto is the same, Read More, Post Less. I enjoy the information that i find on here as well as the intelligent and well thought out theories and the debates that don't degenerate into out and out fights.

It's been a pleasure ladies and gentleman.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Oh... that's me being nice and having a bit of harmless fun with you my good man

Threads here have been rather heavy of late. Nothing wrong with injecting a little humour into them ehh!

IRM

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Oh... that's me being nice and having a bit of harmless fun with you my good man

Threads here have been rather heavy of late. Nothing wrong with injecting a little humour into them ehh!

IRM

Ah I see, It appears that is how you get YOUR stars.

Nothing wrong with injecting a bit of humour indeed.

Just beware that people might take it the wrong way like I just did.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Ah I see, It appears that is how you get YOUR stars.

Now place nice! You would be incorrect in assuming the above. Perhaps you would like to check my stats for a clearer picture?

Nothing wrong with injecting a bit of humour indeed.

Just beware that people might take it the wrong way like I just did.

I've been here long enough to gauge the membership and don't really require your 'advice' on the matter. But thanks anyway my good man/woman

IRM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join