It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Titan: Facebook is going to be your one-stop communication center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
FB is planning on becoming your one-stop communication center and it's not far away from completing this goal. Incorporating the personal data of it's users, Facebook will be rolling out a personal communication option that will essentially offer the user the ability to communicate through Facebook to anyone (including those who do not have FB accounts.)

To communicate with a friend, a Facebook user would click on the friend's name rather than hunt for a phone number or an e-mail address. If that friend prefers to get text messages, that's how the message will be seen. If the friend likes e-mail, e-mail it will be.

Here's the catch, folks:

Facebook says it will store every missive sent between two people for eternity, unless they choose to delete it; the company likens it to this generation's equivalent of a box filled with years of love letters.

And this:

Jeff Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy, a privacy watchdog group, called Facebook's move into e-mail "deeply disturbing." He said that under the guise of giving users a new utility, the company "opens up another door that allows it to closely track how their members communicate."

However, other experts believe that this is the feature that will bring all those "hold outs" who have been avoiding Facebook, on board. They might be right. I wonder... washington post

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
On more way to reach into our everyday lives, and monitor everything we think. IMHO, of course.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Caveat Utilitor - if people don't keep their things in check, who's fault is it? Especially when this information is put out well before the concept has been implemented.

Now, had this been in the fine print and discovered 5 years from now, it would be a different book of twits!

Besides, if your entire online persona is false, what can they really get

edit on 16/11/2010 by badw0lf because: brk? syntax error in 10.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Lol... 'tis true.

However, I think that most people (in general) will love this idea. One place that has all the conveniences. A way to message friends and family (even those who do not have an account) Of course, it does come with lifetime storage of said communication, that's convenient, no?
edit on 16-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I do not trust Facebook... is why I deleted my account last week.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

The interesting question is: how does this type of utility affect those who don't wish to be a part of anything FB affiliated? What happens when you receive your text and emails (from your pal who IS using FB tech.) to your private email or unregistered cell?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When you get drug into court for anything they will bring up something you said 10 years ago out of context.

Sounds like fun.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My favorite part - FB will be able to decide FOR YOU what messages are most important TO YOU... doesn't that make you feel special?

Facebook will use what it knows of these relationships to build a social inbox that not only filters out spam but messages it deems less important from strangers or overly chatty friends, and impersonal messages such as the phone bill. Those lower-priority messages will be tossed in a separate folder labeled "Other." (same article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
When you get drug into court for anything they will bring up something you said 10 years ago out of context.

Sounds like fun.

Here's the thing. If it conversation is private between two people, sure they can store it, but it doesn't mean they can act on any information in it, unless subpoenaed to release it and if that happens then it's a pretty fair guess that whoever it was may be involved in something else much worse than sexy knicker photos.

I used to work at a very large TAFE in WA and in about 2004 there were hints that records management were going to start storing every single Email that every staff member sent and received. In a read only, non editable database. They did it. But it's not as if they are going thru it in order to find people being naughty. It's strictly for record management. If some crisis arises at a later date, any correspondence between the parties involved at the TAFE level is on record.

That sort of storage is a concern for the individual, but as it is at a government level within a government body, it's not avoidable.

The facebook concept gives you the option to delete your information. The OP stated that.

You know all your U2U's here are kept, UNLESS you purposely delete them (And even then, Mods still have a way to retrieve them - in their moderator area) aswell as your youtube videos, etc, your tweets, your own Emails from your ISP etc. And comment you make on any forum... anywhere..

They're all stored unless you PURPOSELY delete them.

Lol as the silly movie even stated "The internet is not written in pencil Mark, it's written in ink." - Yay zuck..

Facebook is proposing nothing more than keeping your data as long as you keep it. As I mentioned in my other post, if you are sharing your information willy nilly all over the internet and can't keep track of your own information and who you share it with, who's fault is that?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
My favorite part - FB will be able to decide FOR YOU what messages are most important TO YOU... doesn't that make you feel special?

Facebook will use what it knows of these relationships to build a social inbox that not only filters out spam but messages it deems less important from strangers or overly chatty friends, and impersonal messages such as the phone bill. Those lower-priority messages will be tossed in a separate folder labeled "Other." (same article)

Now that part *IS* a worry. Sounds like Clippy from M$ word on lsd - "It looks like your friends are too chatty, Don't you agree badw0lf? I thought you would. I'll redirect them to the corner folder for you... DO you wish to delete the corner folder now, badw0lf? I thought you would."

I'm glad I rarely use facebook only to catch up with old school mates and say gidday hows it.. and not for daily routine interaction.. god help the poor souls who think facebook has the internet on it.

edit on 16/11/2010 by badw0lf because: checksum failure in block #7472.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I know from being an audio junkie that if you wanna record a conversation , its actually against the law unless you inform them beforehand. You can hear this when you phone a company and they inform you that " calls may be recorded for training purposes ".
Wouldn't they have to announce this somehow ?
I really dont like facebook thinking they can prioritze my personal life . Just who do they think they are ?
It wont be long before I delete my account i think.....they're just getting above their station now

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by berkeleygal

The interesting question is: how does this type of utility affect those who don't wish to be a part of anything FB affiliated? What happens when you receive your text and emails (from your pal who IS using FB tech.) to your private email or unregistered cell?

no prob...I don't use texting, my cell phone is just that, a phone. I never answer it when it rings anyway, if its important they will leave a VM.
And I can screen my email.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My sister and cousins (as well as friends) always bug me about Facebook and ask why I am not on there. I always like to play dumb and say well I dont know how it works or I'll get around to it. When I see posts like this it makes me feel that eventually its gonna be a requirement of some sort to use it. Perhaps not but then again maybe they'll see me on there whether I like it or not

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
the fact that FB privacy settings are so limited and basically N/A in alot of situations, this is pretty frightening.
At the same time nobody is forcing anybody to use FB, the public is making this happen, not FB. They are offering the product, and of course, the sheep are lining up for slaughter.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by moonpie86

If I knew how to permanently delete mine I would. I witnessed family members arguing and bullying a 10 year old boy and threatening to attack him just because an idiotic cousin keeps thinking she's something special and posting pics of herself (she's 10 also by the way), asked for comments and her ex-boyfriend (I know, she's freakin' 10, ridiculous) said "eww I don't like it" as did one of her friends yet her current boyfriend jumped in threatening to get 16 year old friends to fight this kid then my 22 year old cousin (her older brother) said he'd do the same. Meawhile his girlfriend and her sister tried to lobby to get the kid banned from Facebook permanently for making a negative comment after the "comments plz" line was added as a caption.

It's a social networking website for morons and "popular" people who have all manner of comments and conversations yet whenever I tried to ask serious stuff like advice or how someone's doing after not hearing from them in a while (one such friend lives near Brisbane if you saw the news in the last month or so) and getting ignored.

top topics

join