It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"FDA Bans Caffeine In Alcoholic Beverages?"

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Intentions
Also, the whole "well alcohol isn't sold to teens" is such a childish argument. Seriously, if teens couldn't get alcohol, underage drinking would not be an issue, nor a term that could exist. You guys all know damn well college and high school parties aren't fiction.

It's not a childish argument. Obviously, alcohol is sold to teens. However, using that as an argument to ban Four Loko makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to argue that way, then be consistent and just admit that you think alcohol in general should be illegal. Think about it. If kids are going to drink, banning Four Loko isn't going to stop them. Seriously, what are you thinking, you silly silly goose on a caboose with some Four Loko juice?

Peace,
Fangula okay buY kon stunnar almost a beard buy

P.S. Attention All Fangulites: another btoborg has been spotted.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Fangula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Let's get the facts straight here. I have read through about 10 pages of this thread and most people who disagree with banning this beverages don't have a huge issue with the beverages being banned; they have a problem with the Food and Drug Administration doing their job. The FDA is here to determine what food and drugs the population should consume. Let's not try to defend this beverage and write it off as being alright in some way, shape or form. With that being said, this particular line of companies does not have the legal backing that other companies who sell products which are harmful to people have. Life isn't fair.

The bottom line is that this type of beverage has a high potential to be harmful to society. It would be less harmful if one can was not equal to that of 4 to 5 beers with enough caffeine to keep the obviously intoxicated awake.

Some may compare these drinks to redbull and vodka which can be bought at any gas station or any type of "bomb" (energy drink + liquor) mixture bought in a bar. We must note that redbull and vodka are sold separately and can be used relatively safely individually. It's also important to note that any mixed drinks purchased at a bar are sold by a person who can be held accountable for selling them. For example, if a bar tender serves redbull and vodka to somebody obviously intoxicated and that person wraps their car around a tree on the way home; the person who sold the drinks can be held responsible. That's the difference between selling these types of drinks in a bar as opposed to a gas station.

I will say again, everyone who is outraged by this is obviously against the FDA doing their job. This is their job whether you agree with it or not. These beverages are over the top and the companies who sell them should consider toning them down.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Styki because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fangula

Also, the whole "well alcohol isn't sold to teens" is such a childish argument. Seriously, if teens couldn't get alcohol, underage drinking would not be an issue, nor a term that could exist. You guys all know damn well college and high school parties aren't fiction.

It's not a childish argument. Obviously, alcohol is sold to teens. However, using that as an argument to ban Four Loko makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to argue that way, then be consistent and just admit that you think alcohol in general should be illegal. Think about it. If kids are going to drink, banning Four Loko isn't going to stop them. Seriously, what are you thinking, you silly silly goose on a caboose with some Four Loko juice?

Peace,
Fangula okay buY kon stunnar almost a beard buy

P.S. Attention All Fangulites: another btoborg has been spotted.

Did you just call me a bot? lol!...anway, no, i dont think alcohol in general should be illegal. I'm talking about the high ratio of caffiene to alcohol in drinks that kids have no idea is bad for you, should be banned. I don't know where you interpreted my argument as implying teens are going to stop drinkin alcohol. That's not the issue here, the issue is the combination of alcohol and caffiene that is extremely dangerous considering most teens don't stop at one drink. Kids understand what alcohol is, how it effects you, much more than they understand these drinks. And that's exactly why their targeted at teens, because they have no idea how dangerous it is. I'm sure that your gonna suggest i meant alcohol should be banned though.

BTW I am 19 so I can tell you from my experiecne, people think this drink is no different than regular alcohol, which is far from the truth. I can also tell you that most my age have no understanding of the scientific basis behind this ban.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Good Intentions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
We must note that redbull and vodka are sold separately and can be used relatively safely individually.

Yep. Vodka, with its average of 40% ABV is quite a bit safer than Four Loko and its 12% ABV. Out of curiosity, have you ever drank either of those?

I will say again, everyone who is outraged by this is obviously against the FDA doing their job. This is their job whether you agree with it or not.

Yeah, man... you're right, cuz like... anyone who is outraged about things like governments like killing innocent people and stuff... like... they're just doing their job, you know? So like, if you're against that, then like... you're like just against the government like doing their job and stuff, like you know what I mean, man?

All joking aside, it's quite obvious that your argument here is pretty off-the-wall in terms of blindly submitting to government whims. "Yeah man.... like, they're just trying to do their job, you know? So... like... don't be against them if they are, more often than not, passing ridiculous prohibitions and putting money before people's RIGHTS."

These beverages are over the top and the companies who sell them should consider toning them down.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Styki because: (no reason given)

Right... right. That's good advice, sir, but just because you disagree with these beverages doesn't mean that you have to subject everyone else to your authoritarian bologna sandwich. Personally, I hate Four Loko. I think it tastes like watermelon vomit, and makes you feel like crap after an hour. I can't even drink half of one without wanting to throw up with disgust when it comes to taste! But that's just me. I'm going to go drink a bottle of wine and in between sips I'm going to drink lots of Mountain Dew and coffee. Would you consider this to be any different? Should my ability to do that be outlawed? Not to mention that most wine has more alcohol by volume (ABV) than Four Loko, k buy.

Peace,
Fangula, k buy okay kon stunnar touch of hurtness distance ok buy btoborg1 iyah ok lol ok yea ok buy

P.S. Attention All Fangulites: Yet another Btoborg has been spotted. Exercise caution, and shield oneself properly. Be on guard.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Did you just call me a bot? lol!

Nope. I called you a btoborg. A btoborg is one who follows the ideology and leadership of the "great" btoborg1, also known as Bronson Toborg. He's a sheisty one, for sure.

...anway, no, i dont think alcohol in general should be illegal. I'm talking about the high ratio of caffiene to alcohol in drinks that kids have no idea is bad for you, should be banned.

Why? It's no different than having a few beers and then drinking a cup of coffee, or a couple Mountain Dews. Alcohol itself is really bad for you. Kids shouldn't be drinking it anyway! But, alas, they do... banning Four Loko will not change anything in regard to kids achieving the level of alcohol poisoning.

I don't know where you interpreted my argument as implying teens are going to stop drinkin alcohol.

Well, it's a good thing you weren't using that argument, then, because it's a very illogical one. What exactly will banning this substance do to create a safer underage drinking environment?

That's not the issue here, the issue is the combination of alcohol and caffiene that is extremely dangerous considering most teens don't stop at one drink.

Really? I'm not a teen, and I don't stop at one drink either. However, I can tell you that alcohol itself can be extremely dangerous, as well as the fact that adding caffeine to the cocktail does not really make it any more dangerous. How do I know this? I do it every single time I drink, and so does everyone I know that drinks. I do not find that it increases the danger-level of the intoxication, and nor does anyone I know.

Kids understand what alcohol is, how it effects you, much more than they understand these drinks.

I think kids understand it pretty well, my teen friend. Alcohol gets you drunk, and caffeine makes you feel more alert. Considering alcohol makes you less alert, what should we do? Oh, I have an idea... let's mix the two, and we can be drunk AND be more alert! Guy, alcohol alone is potentially very dangerous. You cannot dabble in alcohol without adding a level of danger. I think you'll get over it. Nobody is going to stop for you.

And that's exactly why their targeted at teens, because they have no idea how dangerous it is. I'm sure that your gonna suggest i meant alcohol should be banned though.

I believe that most teenagers knows how dangerous alcohol is. You are really blowing this Four Loko drink way out of proportion, as if it's some kind of completely different substance which kills tons of people and is somehow different and more dangerous than alcohol. Its biggest contributing factor to the intoxication IS the alcohol. Seriously, man. Sheesh.

BTW I am 19 so I can tell you from my experiecne, people think this drink is no different than regular alcohol, which is far from the truth. I can also tell you that most my age have no understanding of the scientific basis behind this ban.

Yo, bro. I can tell you from my *extensive experience* that it is not that much different than "regular" alcohol. People have different tolerances to different types of liquors and brews, at times. The caffeine is not the *main contributing factor to the intoxication*: Alcohol is the main contributing factor, my friend. So, what I think you are really against is teen drinking in general. I don't see how you could be against teens drinking Four Loko alone due to its "danger! danger! level" without being against teens drinking alcohol in general.

Peace,
Fangula, okay are you bronson okay buy?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well first off, i believe many stories. Here is mine. I think the parents are responsible for the actions of their children more or so drinking, UNDERAGE. A college sophomore drank three cans where i live. I thought well first of all how old is he? The news media didnt say, so he must of been underage. Second responsible drinkers put limitations on their drinks or how much they drink. Lastly this sort of thing wouldnt of have happened if the parents truely cared about there kid. So whos at fault here? The Company? or The Parent? could be both? or one or the other.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I have read through about 10 pages of this thread and most people who disagree with banning this beverages don't have a huge issue with the beverages being banned; they have a problem with the Food and Drug Administration doing their job.

god damn right

It is the Congress's job to write law, not the executive branch.

And that ability to write law must fall within the prescribed 18 points declared in the US Constitution.

The federal government has absolutely ZERO - ZIP - NADA authority to regulate what we consume or produce.

edit on 17-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I have read through about 10 pages of this thread and most people who disagree with banning this beverages don't have a huge issue with the beverages being banned; they have a problem with the Food and Drug Administration doing their job.

god damn right

It is the Congress's job to write law, not the executive branch.

And that ability to write law must fall within the prescribed 18 points declared in the US Constitution.

The federal government absolutely ZERO - ZIP - NADA - authority to regulate what we consume or produce.

One of the few posts on this thread that actually makes sense! Star for you.

Peace,
Fangula

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

wtf am I gonna do if they take it outta monster? I am moving to China guys! There you can have all the nicotine and caffeine you want. With less risk of cancer I might add.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jssdiane

Less risk of cancer because the government over there doesnt dictate that cigs become "fire safe". Fire safe cigs are just cigs with more (like we needed more) chemicals added from which we do not know the effect.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTOWarrior
I actually think this is a good idea. Young people cannot discern or control drinking habits as much as an experienced drinker. Therefore, because of the risk of mixing alcohol and caffeine and the effects it has on the body physically, it is in the best interests of the general public. No different than adding coc aine to beer. It is a dangerous combo, and can cause heart problems, and caffeine overdose. As for adding it to other foods, I am not sure of the reason of banning that.

It is their body and their choice. Put a warning label on it if it is so dangerous but outlawing it is yet another example of government overreach. The government is not my nanny!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
This is targeted at those products who are passing themselves off as energy drinks while containing enough alcohol to kill a small child.

Caffine in soda, coffee, expresso, cappucino, frappucino, latte' , mochacino, and any products strictly labeled as coffee will remain but those like Red Bull, Four Loko, 5 Hour Energy, Rockstar and any other energy drink that contains alcohol is hereby banned as alcohol is a depressant while caffine is a stimulant and if you send the body into both extremes simualtaneously you are asking for a disaster.

Besides, that "pick me up" you get at the petrol station near your house should not get you locked up. It's supposed to keep you alert and it's widely known that alcohol hinders your focus and concentration and makes you swerve all over the road.

No wonder why the economy's shot, everyone is going in to work drunk off thier tails thus hindering and adversely affecting the performance of every aspect of our economy all the way from retail to finance.

To me, this is The FDA doing what The FDA should be doing, making decrees and policies that help us instead of allowing the poisoning of our food supply.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Fangula

I have no idea what botborg you are talkin about. Anyway, this issue is the combo being sold together. If a teen wants to go get cofee after a drink or have a red bull with vodka, they will, but without these combos being available they are less likely to want to go get them seperately. Because yes, it can be more harmful then just alcohol and that's just the facts. And no, im not for banning alcohol. Oh forget it, there's no point with you.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I can't believe how many filthy prohibitionists there are out there. It's not enough just to live and let live, you gotta impose your beliefs and values on everyone else.

reply to post by spacemanjupiter

I tried red bull and vodka many years ago before they started manufacturing them together, and I distinctly remember that experience. I told my friends I would never in my life try it again. They thought I was kidding. One person knows what it did to me, and I won't be talking about that here.

Cool story bro. This one time, years ago, I had a few deadly red bull and vodkas, and ended up having an awesome night! How far out is that? I guess some people can handle their stuff better than others. Perhaps the people who can't candle the combo need not purchase it instead of crying for it to be banned?

Why would you want to put other people at risk from drivers drunk on this dangerous combo, or wigged out clubbers not even conscious of the people around them?

Because everyone who consumes caffeine with their alcohol has a sudden urge to get behind the wheel of a car? Actually, if someone was going to drive drunk, I would prefer they had consumed some caffeine!

The caffeine would also help those crazy clubbers become more conscious of the people around them, not less.

Not everything in the world is a conspiracy, and not every case of imposing limitations is because they are trying to strip our freedoms.

And not every product that requires a little bit of responsibility needs to be hit with the ban stick. People who enjoy these types of drinks are having their freedoms stripped, as well as people who enjoy choice for the sake of freedom.

reply to post by Fangula

Yeah, man... you're right, cuz like... anyone who is outraged about things like governments like killing innocent people and stuff... like... they're just doing their job, you know? So like, if you're against that, then like... you're like just against the government like doing their job and stuff, like you know what I mean, man?

Haha that was too funny.

reply to post by Styki

Yes, I'm against the FDA doing the banning part of their job. All I want is for products to be properly labeled because I am intelligent and responsible enough to decide what I do and do not want to put into my body (as if the government has my best interests at heart anyway).

If nothing were banned then people would be forced to start taking responsibility for themselves instead of just binging on whatever they can find in a store because "it's legal so it must not be bad for you mannn!"

edit on 18-11-2010 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2010 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
They're trying to ban alcoholic energy drinks which aren't very good for you... But it seems this will also lead to bans on Jager-Bombs and Irish-Coffee, basically bars wont be able to serve you redbull and vodka but nobody says you can't buy both and combine them yourself... They are not banning caffeine, that's a whole other cartel market that they would never do away with... They are just doing this because of health complaints and because it generates no profit for the government.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
All hail the nanny state!
Let us strip away every freedom and pleasure become some idiot harmed himself.
What ever happened to letting people take themselves out of the gene pool in a prompt manner?
(This coming from a guy who survived his 20's despite drinking "planet killers", which were one part everclear and three parts jolt cola. Wooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I've read about this product before, and it's supposedly a concern because minors are getting alcohol poisoning from it. WELL KIDS ARENT SUPPOSED TO BE DRINKING AT ALL, PERIOD!!!! When I heard about this, I wondered how the *BLEEP* can the FDA ban an alcoholic drink just because it has "caffine" in it?! This is completely typical of our stupid federal government.... The FDA just gave the Cartels another reason to kill people so they can make profit on yet another illegal product...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Vodka RedBull F@#%s with your heart - and so they should ban it. In fact, alcohol and caffeine in any form, when mixd will both try to have the opposite effect from each other on your heart - prolonged drinking will create long-term damage. You can't refute that.

I hope they do it here in the UKm because we have a huge drinking culure where people are too ignorant to care. Now, you may say "it's not for the government to tell me what I can/caan't put in my own body" - but when that freedom later translates into tens of thousands of pounds being (and the rest) eaten up by the NHS, when you were too stupid to care before, shouldn't be allowed. It's like fat people being given gastric band operations free because they "suffer" frm obesity.

They banned super-size meals, which was a good thing. This is, too.

I'm not for adding NEW chemicals, not at all, but red Bull was banned in France due the the Taurine content, and rightly so. It should be banned

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fangula

Best line out of 27 pages: " authoritarian bologna sandwich" -- i love it

basically we have 27 pages of people shouting "apples" vs "oranges."

those that are saying "this is not safe"
vs those saying "government has no right to control my body and mind"

this thread is not about caffeine in alcohol, it's about government control...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond

Vodka RedBull F@#%s with your heart - and so they should ban it. In fact, alcohol and caffeine in any form, when mixd will both try to have the opposite effect from each other on your heart - prolonged drinking will create long-term damage. You can't refute that.

I hope they do it here in the UKm because we have a huge drinking culure where people are too ignorant to care. Now, you may say "it's not for the government to tell me what I can/caan't put in my own body" - but when that freedom later translates into tens of thousands of pounds being (and the rest) eaten up by the NHS, when you were too stupid to care before, shouldn't be allowed. It's like fat people being given gastric band operations free because they "suffer" frm obesity.

They banned super-size meals, which was a good thing. This is, too.

I'm not for adding NEW chemicals, not at all, but red Bull was banned in France due the the Taurine content, and rightly so. It should be banned

You guys didn't get to live through prohibition, hence why you would think this is a good idea.

Taking freedom away from people creates criminals.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join