It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merchant of Death' Extradited to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Merchant of Death' Extradited to US

www.military.com

November 16, 2010
Associated Press
BANGKOK -- Thailand extradited accused Russian arms trafficker Viktor Bout to the U.S. on Tuesday to face terrorism charges, siding with Washington in a tug of war with Moscow over whether to send him to stand trial or let him go home.

The Cabinet approved Bout's extradition Tuesday after a long legal battle, and police said the 43-year-old was put aboard a plane in Bangkok heading for the United States at about 1:30 p.m. (0630 GMT; 1:30 a.m. EST) in the custody of eight U.S. officials
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
"Lord of War" Viktor Bout to be Extradited to US
Thai Court Drops Viktor Bout Case
WAR: Global Arms - Trafficking Network Designated by US (Update: Viktor Bout Extradited)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well it is officially the end of the line for Viktor Bout the famed merchant of death, whose life as an international arms smuggler was glorified and immortalized by Nicholas Cage in the movie “Lords of War”.

With just days left to go before the Thais would release him after a Thai Judge blocked his extradition to the United States last month; the United States finally won the tug of war being played over Bout between it and the Soviet Union.

He is now officially in American custody though this Associate Press piece does not state where he is going to be transported to or held.

It looks like Bout is officially out of miracles and favors.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As I said in the other thread about the possibility of his extradition, the Americans either wants to shut him up about his working with them, or they want to get info about Russian military and intelligence.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
As I said in the other thread about the possibility of his extradition, the Americans either wants to shut him up about his working with them, or they want to get info about Russian military and intelligence.

I would guess it's a combination of both. It's like his charachter said in the Lords of War, today it's convenient to let me go, but I am no fool, one day they might be just as happy to sacrifice me.

It seems ultimately he is going to end up being a victim of his own success.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
MANHATTAN — Thailand extradited the world's most notorious arms trafficker, dubbed the "Merchant of Death," to New York City on Tuesday, according to several news reports.

Viktor Bout, 43, was put aboard a plane in Bangkok headed for New York City at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday after a lengthy legal battle between Washington and Moscow. Russia wanted the former Soviet air force officer returned home, but instead he will face terrorism charges in the U.S., according to the New York Post.

www.dnainfo.com...

More information about his arrivial in New York today..

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks for posting that Aquarius1, a picture is worth a thousand words, and old Viktor looks pretty happy all things considered.

I swear guys love playing dress up!

That's a pretty long flight from Thailand to New York!

Interesting that they didn't drop him off some where on the West Coast.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I love the names the press come up with.

Talk about dripping with irony! Quite how the US can accuse him of being the "merchant of death", given their major exports these days seem to be of a miltary and arms nature, is beyond me!

I'm sure someone in his position is probably well aware of where some of the money came from to finance certain arms purchases to questionable groups. In fact, that probably explains his extradition to the US and I doubt he'll ever be able to tell what he knows in an open court and on the record. Just as Noriega found when he was no longer useful to the US.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Our media sure has become info-tainment oriented. I think it goes to show you the mentallity they must imagine the average person must have, that they feel this is the way to appeal to us and capture our interest.

I tend to suspect Bout knows to much about some of the more militant groups in Iran and Iraq. Destabilizing both countries seems to be central to long range plans in the Persian Gulf region.

He certainly seems to be tied into the Russian Military intelligence world too.

I am pretty sure he is destined for a FISA Court some aiding abetting Terrorist Charges and a one way trip towards a CIA run 'secret prison'.

He might luck out though and Russia will keep his case in the diplomatic spot light, and make it harder for us to sweep him under the carpet.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
"Merchant Of Death" And His Mustache Face Terror Charges

The Russian national whose arms dealing allegedly brought him billions and the nickname "Merchant of Death" pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges in a New York federal court today. Viktor Bout, 43, was extradited from Thailand to New York yesterday and the DEA's chief of operations Tom Harrigan said, "Many believe Bout did not care who his weapons killed. But he did care. Based on his recorded coversations Bout said he preferred murdering Americans."

gothamist.com...

He pleaded not guilty today, in the picture above he doesn't look as smug as he did yesterday upon his arrival in N.Y., you know what they say, what a difference a day makes.

new topics

top topics

join