It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran starts "biggest" air defense war games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
IRAN STARTS BIGGEST AIR DEFENSE WAR GAMES

Reuters) - Iran began what it said was its biggest ever air defense drill on Tuesday to test its ability to deter air strikes, which the United States and Israel have not ruled out to prevent it from developing nuclear weapons.

The website of Iran's English-language Press TV said the five-day war games were being held near nuclear facilities and included tests of long-range missiles.

On Sunday, a senior commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards said land forces had carried out military drills near Iran's nuclear facilities "exactly like real combat."

Western countries suspect Iran's atomic work is a cover for a nuclear weapons programme. Tehran denies this, saying it needs nuclear technology to generate electricity.

Israel, which says a nuclear-armed Iran would be a threat to its existence, and its ally the United States have refused to rule out pre-emptive strikes against Iran, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates argued strongly against the military option on Tuesday.

"The large-scale military maneuvers ... will improve readiness to confront possible threats to Iran's air space and the very populated, vital and nuclear centers," Ahmad Mighani, head of an air force unit that responds to threats to Iran's air space, was quoted by state TV as saying.

Here we have it Iran starts to beat their own war drum....... Iran is poking and stoking a fire....

Do you think war with Iran is for sure going to happen>?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
with the way things are going, just take a look on the boards on this site, it does seem to be on the cards. However, its not just Iran whos 'stoking the fire' there are some big players all around just waiting for a chance/excuse to flex their muscles.

Interesting and testing times could be nothing, yet could become something so quickly over a small incident, remember how world war ll started.

Peace

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Iran is itching for war to start and I don't think they will quit until something goes down... I just wish all this war crap would end it's not beneficial to most of us here. Some times I think it's a race in who wipes out who first... I sure wouldn't want to get wiped out but lets be honest if it is us or the other guy most people would rather them... If your mom was going to be killed or *that guys mom* was going to get killed most would pick *that guys*.
edit on 16-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If I were Iran, I wouldnt be advertising these sort of things.
No doubt the US and Israel will be watching like hawks. Im sure Iran's air fighting capabilities are no match for the wests, therefoe surprise and tactics will be the key.
But practicing them in the open ?

Interesting.. I wonder what the tact is behind this?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
If I were Iran, I wouldnt be advertising these sort of things.
No doubt the US and Israel will be watching like hawks. Im sure Iran's air fighting capabilities are no match for the wests, therefoe surprise and tactics will be the key.
But practicing them in the open ?

Interesting.. I wonder what the tact is behind this?

Its PR. Show the people that Iran is ready and strong etc. Irans obsolete air force and air defenses would be even less effective then Iraqs were during Desert Storm. However, when you have internal issues it is always good to turn your peoples attention to an outside enemy and then show how strong you are to stop them. All that being said an attack on Iran seems unlikely any time in the near furure.
edit on 16-11-2010 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
good time to attack now while they're in the middle of a war game... it will get them confused because to an extent, the average soldier on the battlefield will think its part of the war game

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
We'll be watching and listening for sure. I don't think there will be any war with Iran, just alot of saber rattling. There's been talk of war with Iran incessantly on this site, since i first registered.

I didn't think so then and don't think so now.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Israel has threatened to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities, just like they did in Iraq and Syria. US always has plans of invading Iran.

Seems legitimate to me. Do you people expect Iran to sit with their hands up their asses and hope their weapons are operationally effective? Obviously they are going to test them. This isn't provocation, this is preparation against hostile forces in the region.

And by the way, Iran's airforce and air-defenses are far from obsolete, but I guess the American media would never portray the reality of the situation. Sometimes I wish the warplans would carry through, just so all you anti-Iran people can watch heavily American casualties mount on live TV.

Iran has a modern military, and over a hundred thousand elite soldiers that specialize in unconventional warfare. Oh, and don't forget Al-Sadr's forces in Iraq who have spent the last few years re-arming and regrouping; they are on Iran's side.

good time to attack now while they're in the middle of a war game... it will get them confused because to an extent, the average soldier on the battlefield will think its part of the war game

That's a brilliant strategy... Not. The stupidest thing you can do is engage an enemy during a war game, because they are operating at a compacity only outdone by actual war itself. Ever hear of communications? All Iranian commanders need to do is radio their troops that real combat has broken out.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Israel has threatened to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities, just like they did in Iraq and Syria. US always has plans of invading Iran.

Although some people on this Board seem to think that the US has active ambitions and plans to invade Iran, there is no evidence that this is the case. In fact, I would ask anyone who thinks that there is anything other than hypothetical scenario planning going on to come up the evidence. Have you any evidence to back up this assertion of US plans to invade Iran?

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Iran has a modern military, and over a hundred thousand elite soldiers that specialize in unconventional warfare. Oh, and don't forget Al-Sadr's forces in Iraq who have spent the last few years re-arming and regrouping; they are on Iran's side.

The mistake is to over exaggerate Iranian capability. I have no doubt that the average Iranian soldier is motivated, but well equipped is another matter. Remember, Iraq was once touted as having one of the largest and most formidable armed forces up until (er) it all went up in smoke.

A war between Iran and the US is the type of thing that gets the average doom monger exited, but it is not going to happen. If it did, the Iranian armed forces would not last very long and to think otherwise is to reside in a fantasy land. But it is not going to happen, no matter how some people want it to happen so they can (I assume) get off by watching the Iranian Martyr Shahada unit and other suicide units blowing themselves up or more pictures of death and destruction.

On to the OP. Iran are forever publishing stuff about their military – (new stealth planes, submarines, helicopters, missiles – you name it). It is mostly for domestic consumption and to keep the population on their toes against an imagined military threat. It helps keep the excuse for dictatorship going.

Regards

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yep, but isn't it kinda like the Three Stooges working on a wrist watch?
edit on 11/19/2010 by deadred because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

And by the way, Iran's airforce and air-defenses are far from obsolete, but I guess the American media would never portray the reality of the situation. Sometimes I wish the warplans would carry through, just so all you anti-Iran people can watch heavily American casualties mount on live TV.

My, what a hateful child.

I wish your enemies the best of luck, too. May they invade and slaughter you all.

See, I've got more e-hate than you!

Seriously, though - Iran's weapons are a running joke. They put an extra stabilizer on an F-5 and attempt to pass it off as an air superiority fighter, or photoshop missile test photos. We pass around reports where Iran boasts about their weapon systems for a source of comic relief. We can make more sophisticated weaponry after a trip to Radio Shack and Lowe's.

That is slightly exaggerated - but they would have difficulty intercepting a B-52, let alone a B-1 or B-2.

I wouldn't call their military modern, by any standards. I am sure they can be quite the trouble-makers, but at this point the U.S. would be better off in every respect to simply return to the days of leveling cities block-by-block via strategic bombing. There's no need to fight terrorists when we can simply blow them and their entire country to kingdom come.

That's a brilliant strategy... Not. The stupidest thing you can do is engage an enemy during a war game, because they are operating at a compacity only outdone by actual war itself. Ever hear of communications? All Iranian commanders need to do is radio their troops that real combat has broken out.

That's not entirely true.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a military is weaker while conducting exercises - but there is a lot more information to be gathered by the casual observer regarding force deployments and operational capability.

However, any large military exercise would be suspended if a build-up of forces was detected. You don't attack half-assed - building up for such an offensive would take weeks - usually months, and would be very obvious.

The theoretical advantage of attacking during an exercise is knowing where assets are and surprise. The reality is that moving the forces necessary for such an offensive would give away your plan and close the window of opportunity.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

Reuters) - Iran began what it said was its biggest ever air defense drill on Tuesday to test its ability to deter air strikes, which the United States and Israel have not ruled out to prevent it from developing nuclear weapons.

The website of Iran's English-language Press TV said the five-day war games were being held near nuclear facilities and included tests of long-range missiles.

On Sunday, a senior commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards said land forces had carried out military drills near Iran's nuclear facilities "exactly like real combat."

Western countries suspect Iran's atomic work is a cover for a nuclear weapons programme. Tehran denies this, saying it needs nuclear technology to generate electricity.

Israel, which says a nuclear-armed Iran would be a threat to its existence, and its ally the United States have refused to rule out pre-emptive strikes against Iran, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates argued strongly against the military option on Tuesday.

"The large-scale military maneuvers ... will improve readiness to confront possible threats to Iran's air space and the very populated, vital and nuclear centers," Ahmad Mighani, head of an air force unit that responds to threats to Iran's air space, was quoted by state TV as saying.

Here we have it Iran starts to beat their own war drum....... Iran is poking and stoking a fire....

Testing air defense is not stoking a fire or beating a drum. However if Iran seeks peace it should publicly accept Israels right to exist.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666

Testing air defense is not stoking a fire or beating a drum. However if Iran seeks peace it should publicly accept Israels right to exist.

Then it would ignore Palestine's right to exist. Then the Palestinians would cease to exist.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Iran is itching for war to start and I don't think they will quit until something goes down... I just wish all this war crap would end it's not beneficial to most of us here. Some times I think it's a race in who wipes out who first... I sure wouldn't want to get wiped out but lets be honest if it is us or the other guy most people would rather them... If your mom was going to be killed or *that guys mom* was going to get killed most would pick *that guys*.
edit on 16-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

Srry, but as long as Corporations rule, the war is impossible to end.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Iran will not fall as easily as Iraq did.. I assure you that the score card will be almost even when Iran and the US step toe to toe.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sharpy777

If you think Iran is any where near the power and might of the USA....you must be middle eastern.

top topics

join