It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sells "virtual property" for over half million dollars.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
As a member of second life I can also attest to this. (btw, I want to start an ats group in second life..hint hint)
On paper, it is virtual space. Your paying for computer space. It is the attraction of that computer space that makes it valuable. Farmville is huge in facebook. I have never gotten into it myself. There are very real businesses in these communities as another poster pointed out. (I will be sure to check your stuff out)
Supposedly someone has already made a million dollars in second life, but I personally don't believe it. but there are businesses there that are huge, that give the creator/store owner a comfortable existance without even having to leave the house.
You are not really paying for the space, well a little, the computer space. You are paying for popularity. This goes for anything on the net. Why is google worth billions? Its a search engine and app. Nothing more. But its the name your paying for.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I thought being a "nerd" was "cool" now?

Or is it like the other n-word? Only one can say it to another.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Wow... don't know if I will trust a sale like that... oh.. I do know.... I won't!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
As a member of second life I can also attest to this. (btw, I want to start an ats group in second life..hint hint)
On paper, it is virtual space. Your paying for computer space. It is the attraction of that computer space that makes it valuable. Farmville is huge in facebook. I have never gotten into it myself. There are very real businesses in these communities as another poster pointed out. (I will be sure to check your stuff out)
Supposedly someone has already made a million dollars in second life, but I personally don't believe it. but there are businesses there that are huge, that give the creator/store owner a comfortable existance without even having to leave the house.
You are not really paying for the space, well a little, the computer space. You are paying for popularity. This goes for anything on the net. Why is google worth billions? Its a search engine and app. Nothing more. But its the name your paying for.

Yes, read my previous posts here..Anshe Chung made a million dollars back in 06, she's still thriving in SL, but has so many real life investments now, she has others working her SL biz. Look me up, same name in SL as here..lol come by my store, ask one of my employees for a gift card, tell them I sent you..hahah

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I did some looking into this. Here are some interesting facts. My conclusion is that these players will be our rulers in the future, the new aristocracy.

The demographics of World of Warcraft in the first year are identical to the first Crusade. Average age of males 18. Average age of females 35. A bunch of eager young men out to conquer the world, subtly influenced by a more mature female guidance.

400 years later there were zero nobles who did not have a trip to Jerusalem in their ancestory.

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Lol...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The worlds may not be real in the the "normal" sense of the word, but the worlds are real enough to the millions of people who visit them everyday. The interactions, the relationships ( my partner and I for example, together for five years now, met on an online game) , the interactions..all that is very real indeed.

I can go "out" tonight to the pub, or I can go out tonight to an in game Inn, In both cases I will be interacting with real people.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
These worlds are not real!! They are virtual worlds in a video game, no different from someone playing call of duty or gta on an xbox.. I think it is a worrying situation when people start to get these virtual worlds confused with reality! Nerds is not a word I would use for these people, it would be disillusioned..

Well hang on a minute here, and bearing in mind that I am not a gamer of any sort - in fact I'm usually first in line to make fun of some of the more serious types that seem to live in their game world and allow it to consume them, and in the worst cases it can become a disability, a chronic condition that will affect the so called 'normal' living of a healthy life...

But really what is this? A virtual property trade? Well news flash, this is basically how massive chunks of the economy are actually run... Seriously, this may be an interesting story of a flamboyant on line character come entrepreneur and as such is news worthy, but this is basically the way almost all trade is done in all sorts of commodities, stocks shares etc.

When the dude in the wall street office shouts buy buy buy, and the guys on the trading floor go ape over some numbers on a massive screen, of the broker sat behind computer screens in the offices of an investment firm start making trades they are working in a virtual world - the trades, some of which are traded again in seconds are so abstract it's very hard for the lay man to relate them to our physical world where I may hand over a wad of notes to buy a second hand car.

If I were to buy just say pork bellies - just like the brokers always did in the 80's films, I'm not going to put the phone down on the deal, change out of my shirt and tie and take my van down to a where house somewhere to pick up my pork am I? No it stays where it is, en route to the various distribution destinations, my ownership is virtual and I hope the value will go up and I can sell again to make money.

So really what is the difference? This guy has an established business, that being online shop fronts from what I can make out - so you could parallel that to amazon.com or something, and now he has cashed in. Just another day in the business world, but in this case this guy is also part showman, and that is an integral skill for his business model... May I add a very tasty business model, no staff, looks after it's self and no annoying physical merchandise to look after.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Make no mistake, Jacobs isn’t your stereotypical gamer geek. An actor, filmmaker, cyber-celebrity and entrepreneur, Jacobs deals with movie and music moguls, running a business out of a 6,900 square-foot office in the heart of Hollywood, in the historic El Capitan Theatre building on Hollywood Boulevard, with windows overlooking the Kodak Theatre.

Ummmmmmmmmm that doesn't make him any less of a retarded gamer geek...anyone who plays like a star trek geek is a gamer geek, yes Virginia, there ARE GEEKS IN HOLLYWOOD!!!

The only person geekier than this idiot is the idot geek who bought the worthless POS for half a mil $! CAN YOU SAY "GET A LIFE"?????

top topics

<< 1   >>

join