It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists discovery: 12 sphinx statues unearthed in Egypt (4th Century)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Other than the obvious things like size, material, and age, are there any significant differences between these sphinxes and "The Sphinx"? I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be depicting the same person or deity.

A number of pharaohs depicted themselves as sphynxes throughout the ages, including Hatshepsut (I've seen one of her sphynxes.) The faces appear to be that of the pharaoh (although some are of the ram-headed god, Amun.) You can see a couple of examples in this Wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org...

The ones I've seen show the pharaoh wearing the nemes (traditional headgear since the first dynasty: en.wikipedia.org... ), and either the cobra crown or the double crown. However, I haven't seen all the Egyptian sphynxes out there!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
BYRD, you are the MAN (or woman).

Seriously. I hope you are a writer also and are putting this stuff in a book format (or the alike). Simply amazing and sense making.

I have a ton of questions but I will ask them over time in different threads-as I go off and learn from where you have gotten me to.

I see why you are a Super Mod.

One last question. What is the best way to learn Egyptian writing?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Obviously these are man made, carved and set using tools of the day and built with primitive building materials. They made these using sacred geometry. Aliens had nothing to do with it. This was all "Human" who built this. God's very own creation was capable of this. Do not underestimate the role of humans.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RisingPhoenix33

They made these using sacred geometry

Could you expand on this point please?

Are there really chisel marks on everyone of them?

They may have built by humans but those humans most likely had traits we don't have or don't know we possess or how to use.

Which, brings up another point. Maybe someone can answer this as it most likely was discussed before. Is there any history of the Egyptian empire from it's beginning. Before the concept of pyramids. Like it's tribal history etc?

I have seen somethings that indicated the history of the two Egypts being joined together etc but they were already well developed.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Great find OP. I especially like the statues of the Lambs.

S&F imagine what else lies beneath..

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Starred and Flagged, anon72, as if you needed it. Very good post and info. I agree with you that these statues were poured into molds, and the human men standing in front there plainly show man's interaction with these beings, whomever they are, or were. I think, and this is based on solid evidence, that mankind of that time were deathly afraid of these creatures whom they called Gods and Goddesses. I also think that these God and Goddesses waged a war between themselves, and in the process set off 7 "Great Weapons of Terror" (read that nuclear device, look at Sodom and Gomorrah) against their enemies. Man was made to fight in these God Wars, and the Warrior Spirit is bred into man's DNA. These creatures finally left the planet, promising to return someday. This is written into many religious tenets, and is accepted as so.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Thank you.

I have to say, I agree with your telling than I do that of what I was taught. I can't explain why. IF it was just the Egyptians doing these types of feats-I would probably go the other way and say just Humans as we know them.

But when you add in all the other cultures around the globe that did massive projects WHICH can't be done today by us-it just leads me to believe there was something before us and we, as a race, came across them or their remains (structures, equipement etc). Or were controlled by them. I don't know. That's why I am here.

Time will tell-I hope. I just don't think we have dug far enough down to the good evidence or not in the right places. Which takes me off to work on another thread about....

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was wondering. They all kind of look the same to me... :p Thanks for the reply.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by RisingPhoenix33

They made these using sacred geometry

Could you expand on this point please?

Are there really chisel marks on everyone of them?

They may have built by humans but those humans most likely had traits we don't have or don't know we possess or how to use.

Why do you think they had traits we didn't? They knew the applications of applying curvature and lavishness using sacred geometry. I feel the Ancient People were smarter than what people give them credit for. If the ways of old didn't work, the "ways" wouldn't be around for centuries later. I would like to ask you, what makes you think the Ancient Egyptians were not like humans of today?
edit on 20-11-2010 by RisingPhoenix33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

BYRD, you are the MAN (or woman).

Woman... and thank you.

Seriously. I hope you are a writer also and are putting this stuff in a book format (or the alike). Simply amazing and sense making.

Actually, I have a Master's in Anthropology and have done some archaeology field work as well as paleontology field work and research. What I'm telling you is actually material that's well known, taught in courses, and has even been written about by people like L. Sprague de Camp (en.wikipedia.org... ). Oh... and the games, Civilization and Pharaoh (en.wikipedia.org...) which enforce the idea that civilizations don't just simply pop out of nowhere, but there are logical steps to how things develop.

I see why you are a Super Mod.

Actually, got modded because I was a "supermod" (wizard) on a number of Mucks/Muds/Moos and ran my own Fidonet node for many years. Experience... not "book larnin"

One last question. What is the best way to learn Egyptian writing?

I always recommend Collier's book (Amazon link) -- there are others, but this one is simply the best. This is Middle Kingdom Egyptian but after going through the book you'll be able to read enough to recognize the inscriptions in museums (and know when they get it wrong... and they do sometimes, or rather they give a "contextualized" version that is designed for "people who don't know anything about this.") There's other books out there, but most of the people who can actually READ hieroglyphs like this one.

BTW, came across a book you might enjoy (free): Flinders Petrie's book on Egyptian Religion. It *is* outdated (by over 80 years) and *does* suffer from his very solid Christian background (and a bit of the Colonial attitude)... BUT... it's free and in spite of the shortcomings it's pretty decent:
www.gutenberg.org...

And something on the Tel Amarna period (these are called "the tarpits" because of the scholarly arguments over them): www.gutenberg.org...

Wikipedia has a quick lookup for Gardiner's signs. Note that the sign list has been expanded over the years (in the Middle and New Kingdoms, they often combined signs by using a new sign: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

But when you add in all the other cultures around the globe that did massive projects WHICH can't be done today by us-

Oookay... name some.

No, seriously. You'd be surprised how many of those "can't be done today" are actually surpassed by the Romans, the castle builders of Europe, and modern construction. And do check the dates. You'd be surprised how modern many of these items are (okay.. to me, "modern" is "anything younger than 3000 BC.)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Iraq:

(notice the man at the bottom/middle of pic)

South America:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Yes, stones the size of Baalbek (1200 tons) can be moved (the space shuttle weighs more than 5 of those Baalbek blocks, and I can assure you that I've seen it creeping towards the launch pad with my own eyes.) And Baalbek was Roman engineering from the years 0 AD to 100 AD.

Japan was doing the same sort of stone walls... and constructing them into castles: www.johnharveyphoto.com...

Long before the stone walls you give a picture of, China did it better... and larger (Great Stone Wall) and carved the blocks into stones of the same size:
www.chinathegreatwallofchina.com...

These fit perfectly, unlike the walls you showed a photo of... which fit on the front but have filler on the back (see the bottom of this page: indra.com... )

Many ancient civilizations knew how to make sophisticated stone works. But they couldn't do This in granite: www.lotussculpture.com...

The Egyptians did wonderful stonework that was among the very best in the world for their time. But we've improved considerably on their works (and the work of other ancients) since that time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join