It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Society of La Garduña

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
La Garduña

‘La Garduña’ arose in Spain. From the mid-fifteenth to the nineteenth century, this secret organization was the pioneer of many other criminal societies that have sprouted throughout history. It is no coincidence that the Neapolitan Camorra was born in a time when Naples and its territories belonged to the Spanish Crown.

Admission rites, passwords, esoteric symbols, gestures of recognition, secret societies own initiation, were all part of ‘La Garduña’. Notably, the symbol of recognition was three dots tattooed on the palm of the hand. This symbol became the Italian Camorra’s symbol and at the same time, is the heritage of other societies such as Freemasons.

The Brotherhood of ‘La Garduña’ was probably founded in Toledo. They spread terror through various bands that attacked and robbed the homes of the "Moors" and Jews; they were acting out the dirty work of the Inquisition.
Men and Women coexisted in ‘La Garduña’, each occupying different "offices" or degrees under different names and among the learned were the informers and coverts that were engaged in spying and hoarding information. Candidates collected taxes, clear history of tax called "protection". Also heads of provinces were called overseers, teachers or elders, were responsible for the initiation of new recruits and the top was the Grand Master, the absolute power of the organization.

‘La Garduña’, it is said they created the Cosa Nostra in the United States, operating with almost total impunity, including its affiliates and partners had governors, judges, mayors and even prison directors.

Throughout their career ‘La Garduña’ was disguised as a religious order, thus assuming a divine right to steal and murder. Like all esoteric societies of the time, ‘La Garduña’ apparently had written documents or statutes, through the initiation and subsequent elevations of grade, were communicating to their members the secret words, the hints and signs of recognition. The betrayal of these unwritten rules, they paid with their life, knowing that some fraternity members were executed for having acted without the permission of their teachers.
Their last Grand Master wrote the ledger called heroic tone which told upon the misdeeds carried out. This black history book full of kidnappings, robberies and murders, was discovered in 1821 at the home of Grand Master Alfonso Cortina.

As a result of this finding they were tried and executed in the Plaza Mayor of Seville, November 25, 1822 The Grand Master, his lieutenants and other’s recognized. What happened next and where they derived this secret society is a mystery, but by tracing the various criminal secret societies such as the Camorra, the Mafia or the Caribbean Piracy and many others that occurred throughout history, one can see many similarities with the order and ruthless organization of ‘La Garduña’.
‘La Garduña remains shrouded in mystery. Tradition says that a holy man named Apollinario from Cordoba, had a vision of the Virgin Mary.
In this vision he was told he would be the savior of Spain and drive out the Moors. He claimed that the Virgin Mary had given him a button which she said had been taken from the robe of Christ. (The mafia soldiers are also called ‘Buttons’, it could be that is where the term originates, its religious sense)
‘La Garduña tried time and time again to force the Moorish invasion out of Spain, but failed.
Apollinario, with his story of the Blessed Virgin Mary appearing to him, convinced hundreds if not thousands of men to join him in a crusade against the Moors. They were able to set them back for a while but not stop them.
‘La Garduña’ went underground and hid from the Moors. They still practiced thievery and murder for hire and all sought of mischiefs.

It wasn’t until the Spanish crown re took control of Spain and Queen Isabella favored the Inquisition, that ‘La Garduña’ became known again.
Now under the rule of the church in Spain, they were free to do as they pleased. They murdered heathens and met continuously with the church officials, who told them they would be forgiven for their atrocities, because they worked for God.
Another secret society that sprung out of Spain was the Jesuit order. Over time the Inquisition grew weary of ‘La Garduña’ and did not support the organization anymore. ‘La Garduña’ disappeared into a cult dedicated to the Vatican. One can speculate as to where the Jesuit order, maybe, could’ve come from, ‘La Garduña’.
Those are only speculations. My opinion is they did. I hope you found it interesting.

edit on 16-11-2010 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Do you know more about how they tied in with other secret society's if they did at all?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

I dont sorry

I will find out more info on that.

Well, it is known that they went to the Spanish provinces of Italy and began La Camorra and other mafia type secret societies.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I am impressed with the quality of the this thread. All you are missing is a link to where you got all this information. it's very interesting though. It would appear that this group does in fact qualify as a secret society since they have remained hidden from most history books. I am curious about the first picture you posted. Where did it come from? It seems to have the masonic square and compasses on it, yet your description puts this order hundreds of years before Freemasonry is said to have existed. Unless masonry borrowed that symbol from this group.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

I am impressed with the quality of the this thread. All you are missing is a link to where you got all this information. it's very interesting though. It would appear that this group does in fact qualify as a secret society since they have remained hidden from most history books. I am curious about the first picture you posted. Where did it come from? It seems to have the masonic square and compasses on it, yet your description puts this order hundreds of years before Freemasonry is said to have existed. Unless masonry borrowed that symbol from this group.

I translated some spanish to make this thread as there was no mention of it on ats.
That first picture I got it from a website.
Maybe they borrowed it, maybe not.
That symbol dates back a long time, that we can agree.

Good question, about the compass.
That picture could of been just a picture of whoever did it thought there was a link between the two societies.
I think it is just a picture in general, but yes it raises questions.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

This is the symbol of freemasonry in Spain.
The first Temple was established in Calle Ancha (Broad Street), in San Bernardo, street corner of the Garduña. The house was then the best in Madrid was called "Hotel du Lys", which is entered through Broad Street. Another entry in Garduña Street gives access to the Lodge Matritense.
It is interesting and a coincidence that the first temple was built in a street corner called Garduña.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

so that picture really has little or nothing to do with your topic? or was it from a site you found that info on? I am confused.

is there any other information online about this group?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Of cos it has something to do, you shouldnt be confused it is depicting the handshake, the three points...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
At last a thread on something other than Freemasonry. And a group Ive never heard of no less. Thank you for the effort.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

Of cos it has something to do, you shouldnt be confused it is depicting the handshake, the three points...

Can you provide a link to where you found this information? I see Masonic Working Tools, the Square and Compasses and the All Seeing Eye, I am not sure how they relate to the orginization you mentioned. Please clarify.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

it would help greatly if you could source your information here. We as ATS can dig deeper and find more information if we have a starting point. But as it stands, you have an idea and some pictures. We know not where they came from.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ok about the picture.
If you read the thread then you know I state that La Garduña used the three points to identify themselves.
The picture is showing that.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Can you provide a link to where you found this information? I see Masonic Working Tools, the Square and Compasses and the All Seeing Eye, I am not sure how they relate to the orginization you mentioned. Please clarify.

The all seeing eye as you said in another thread, is a symbol of God no?
The compass I dont know honestly why it is on that picture.

I never said this society is connected to freemasonry.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thanks mate. I thought I do a thread about it.
Theres alot of mystery to La Garduña, I'll try get more info.
Niceone

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The all seeing eye as you said in another thread, is a symbol of God no?

This is correct.

The compass I dont know honestly why it is on that picture.

I never said this society is connected to freemasonry.

But some of the images in the picture are Masonic, namley the Square and Compasses and the Working Tools. Where is this image from so we can review the source material?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

This is the site I got the pic and translated the source.

paseandohistoria.blogspot.com...

I have a documentary on it and I could put it up, I think its on youtube, but its in Spanish.

I havent got much time tonight if not I would translate it all so I can put forth more info.

Maybe tomorow.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is a little bit of more info.
It is known that 'La Garduña' formed the Mafia through the Kingdom of Naples around 1750.
The secret society of 'The Black Hand' can be traced to the Kingdom of Naples to around 1750.
The Black Hand, 'La Mano Nera', existed in late 18,00s in America.
The Black Hand became the American Mafia.

There was another secret society from Spain also, also named 'The Black Hand'.
'La Mano Negra', was a supposed secret and violent Anarchist organization that was founded in Andalucia, Spain.
This could also be a link to The Black Hand from Italy.

Just to throw a little flavour to the mix. This is the Freemason connection to the Mafia.
The Freemasons aided Garibaldi's invasion of Sicily in 1860 and so, did the Mafia. In the same year, it was suggested to King Francesco II of the Two Sicilies that the Camorra, an organization from Naples, similar to the Mafia, kill Garibaldi and his officers upon their arrival in Naples. The King refused the offer.

It is said 'La Garduna' survived as a secret society and emerged during the Spanish Civil War, when their battle cry of "Remember the Virgin of Cordoba!" was frequently heard.
'La Garduna', its very possible that they continue as a criminal secret society after its conception by Apollinario, or did they change name...

edit on 17-11-2010 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
More info on the structure of 'La Garduña'

The society had nine degrees aranged in three classes.
The inferior classes were called 'Chivatos' or 'Goats'. They acted as spies and carried booty.
Whenever in danger they imitated animal sounds as warnings.
During the night they imitated the sound of the cricket, owl, frog or cat.
During the day they barked like dogs.
'The Serenas' were women who were there to please the organizations top men.
'La Garduña' employed young and pretty abondoned women who would lie and lure rich men into traps, then kill them and steal from them. They were called 'Cobertas' (Covers).
'The Fuelles' (Bellows) were wise old men who also acted as spies and kept close ties to the Inquisition.
Then you had 'The Floreadores', who were the escaped convicts or ex convicts, ruthless criminals, murderers and so on.
Then there was 'The Pontadores' (Pinkers, expert swordsmen).
Above these were 'The Guapos', also expert swordsmen but leaders of important enterprises.
The highest class embraced 'The Magistri' or priests who conducted the initiations, preserved the law and usages and traditions of the society.
'The Capatazzas' (Commanders) who resided in different provinces in which 'La Garduña' was spread, reprezented the 'Hermano Mayor' or 'Grand Master'.
Who exercised arbitrary and absolute power over the whole society and ruled with an iron rod.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The name of the Neopolitan mafia, the Camorra probably comes from the term used by Garduña bandits which was 'Gamurra' which was a type of vest that they used to wear.
Also a Spanish adventurer from Seville and member of La Garduña, Ramon Gamur, went to Naples and it is believed he started the Camorra or Mano Nera (Black Hand).

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

top topics

join