It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Preview of Kerry Foreign Policy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by Djarums
The taxpayers of the USA pay their president to look out for their well being first, not the UN's.

Isn't it also there's something like this in constitution (or this is ideology behind it) that your president and government are there to serve your country and its citizens, not to rule them and serve money/big corporations.

Since when did Bush ever rule us? And the US government is designed to pit competing interests against each other... It doesn't work on unity, it works by having small factions all competing for representation... Big corporations provide money and donations, so their interests will be represented. If you want your opinions to be represented, become politically active, vote, and join action groups representing what you care for. If people formed an action group to go against big business and to throw some political weight around, then maybe they would limit big business's influence.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
At this stage of the game, the United States is ruled by the Plutocracy - not Democracy. Our government "servants" are so beholden to corporate interests, it's beyond sickening. So is the mainstream media. Folks who claim it's the liberal press are totally ignorant of the reality of it. The mainstream media is owned and controlled by a handful of corporations. The press is ruled by the bottom line.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Folks who claim it's the liberal press are totally ignorant of the reality of it. The mainstream media is owned and controlled by a handful of corporations. The press is ruled by the bottom line.

FOX News is the only major news station that's right-leaning. CNN recently admitted that they would allow their reporting from Iraq under Saddam to be censored so that they could keep reporting in the country, resulting news heavily biased towards government propaganda... I agree that the press is ruled by the bottom line, but the bottom line consists of sensationalism and a leftist slant..... Reporting good new from Iraq doesn't capture headlines, bad news and the herd mentality in reporting the worst news does. Criticizing the president's policy as that of a brainless hick with a bad Southern accent makes headlines; supporting the president's policy breaks the line held by leftist Hollywood and media.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I find it very hard for kerry to commit to anything.

Voted for Patriot Act, now against it

Between 1985 and 2000, Kerry voted against funding for missile defense 53 times, now says he supports it

Called Israeli Security Fence as a "Barrier to Peace", calls it a "Legitimate Act of Self-Defense"

Kerry promised to fund Iraqi reconstruction with "whatever number" of money it took, but Voted against the Reconstruction Package.

Kerry voted for military action in Iraq, supported the President while doing it,now claims to be anti-war

His most ridiclious statement was, I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it. then he turns around and blast Bush on protecting the troops.

Now theres a winner!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's easy to criticize Kerry for "flip-flopping." He's had a long career voting. People's opinions change over time - if they're actively engaged in seeking knowledge of issues. I can't blame a person for that.

What I can blame Kerry for, though, is his gutless support for the invasion. He was afraid of looking weak, plain and simple. That was one thing I loved about Dean. He got up on the stump, from the very beginning, and shot it to us straight - this war is BS! And he was right.

He is who I wanted to vote for. And he would've been the first Democrat I have ever even considered voting for. What made him so great to me? He was independent. Proof of that is how the media and the left and right worked together to destroy his run.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Djarums, do you not think it would be in Americas best interest to try and actually make some friends for once? Kerrys line on the UN is admirable and one that is requisite in the interests of considered (fair?) international diplomacy.

"Bush's" "policies" of unilateral action and blatantly undermining the UN are NOT in your interest frankly. Nor is it in the interest of any predominantly muslim state.

If only the US spent more time getting to the root of its poor reputation internationally, and less time blowing the *u*k out of anything that cant run away or fight back, we'd not have to have this debate.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
As far as diplomacy goes, I'd guess John Kerry would be embraced around the world he won the presidency. He is much more the statesman (whatever you think of him). He has also said that one of his first acts as president would be to travel to allied countries to try and begin mending fences. We need that desperately. I never in a million years would have thought my country would be viewed as a parriah among nations.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
FlyersFan [mis]quoted:

'I'm an internationalist. I will send American troops overseas only at the direction of the United Nations.'

The actual quote is from an interview he did with the Harvard Crimson in 1970 and reads:

"I'm an internationalist. I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations. "

Note how FlyersFan changed "I'd like to see" to "I will send" in a dishonest attempt to make the quote appear current and a reflection of Kerry's intentions.

I know my foreign policy ideas have changed substantially in the last 35 years. Certainly the same is true for Kerry.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Kerry's policy on Iraq is pretty sound.

Buit his other foreign policies.....how about NOT sending our troops anywehre anymore, not even if the UN begs us, unless we are under attack or under direct threat of attack?

I dont like internationalists. I like domestically minded presidents with common sense whose foreign policy can be summed up: you dont # with me, I dont # with you, I stay out of your biz, you stay out of mine.

Live and let live
. We fight this "war on terror" the hard way. Work smarter, not harder. If we work it right, we need not even worry too much, just press the right diplomatic buttons and others can take care of some sticky problems for you.

But screw the UN and globalism. Kerry better watch his ass on that issue.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I agree with EastCoastKid.

It's time to start mending fences with these others countries.

Kerry appears to have peacekeeping on his agenda, as opposed to the currrent administration's attitude of "kick booty".

The currrent administration is viewed as arrogant.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The fact that Kerry would be "embraced around the world" is enough to scare me right there. It is pretty obvious when looking at the UN, if we can use that to gage the behavior of the countries they represent, that the interests of the US is not their priority, nor is it supposed to be. But, the fact that they see Kerry being elected as a good thing means to me that it is a bad thing for the US. I worry that Kerry would put his internationalist views ahead of the immediate wellbeing of the US and it's citizens. So many of his supporters seem eager to make the the US subserviant to the UN, I have to wonder if he feels the same way.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I truly think the right is blowing Kerry's "internationalist" stance way out of proportion. Hell, think about it - most Republicans are internationalists. That's just another way to say Free Trader. I was with Pat Buchanan (a real conservative) back when he was railing against passing NAFTA and GATT. Like it or not, at this point, the USA is an internationalist country, pure and simple. And no! I don't like that, as a traditional conservative. I've never been a big fan of the U.N., either; but in the case of our unlawful invasion, I agreed with the greater U.N.'s position for once.

The Bush administration has clearly marked itself above the law. That goes against everything our founding fathers intended. It's time for Bush to be knocked off of his high horse and brought back down to earth.

I'm no fan of Kerry, but based on what I've heard him say and what I've read about him, he would do no more harm to this country than Bush has done. In fact, no president in our entire history has placed this nation in more grave danger than Bush has.

One more thing, Kerry is far more competent to be the Commander-in-Chief than Bush ever could be. He actually fought his way through Vietnam and served as an officer. His experience in military matters far outweighs Bush's. He probly feels a much greater affinity for our men and women in uniform than Bush ever could, too. When you sweat it, bleed it, smell it, feel it, taste it and hear it, you KNOW IT.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
The fact that Kerry would be "embraced around the world" is enough to scare me right there. It is pretty obvious when looking at the UN, if we can use that to gage the behavior of the countries they represent, that the interests of the US is not their priority, nor is it supposed to be. But, the fact that they see Kerry being elected as a good thing means to me that it is a bad thing for the US. I worry that Kerry would put his internationalist views ahead of the immediate wellbeing of the US and it's citizens. So many of his supporters seem eager to make the the US subserviant to the UN, I have to wonder if he feels the same way.

My thoughts exactly. Why should we try and please France and Germany when all they want is to hobble us and to prevent us from pursuing our interests? The fact that France and Germany throw their weight around so much in the EU, and that Schroeder campaigned on a thoroughly anti-American platform, is enough proof to show that being "embraced by the world" would mostly involve bending over for everyone that hates our guts and saying "thank you" when they're done screwing us over.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Like it or not, at this point, the USA is an internationalist country, pure and simple.

I agree with this statement. I think where our visions differ is that I would see the US leading and guiding the international community rather than being subservient to it.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
It's easy to criticize Kerry for "flip-flopping." He's had a long career voting. People's opinions change over time - if they're actively engaged in seeking knowledge of issues. I can't blame a person for that.

What I can blame Kerry for, though, is his gutless support for the invasion. He was afraid of looking weak, plain and simple. That was one thing I loved about Dean. He got up on the stump, from the very beginning, and shot it to us straight - this war is BS! And he was right.

He is who I wanted to vote for. And he would've been the first Democrat I have ever even considered voting for. What made him so great to me? He was independent. Proof of that is how the media and the left and right worked together to destroy his run.

There's a difference between flip-flopping over a span of years and flip-flopping between campaign stops. He's tried to take every stance possible in front of every audience possible...

Dean was the incoming favorite. It's his fault he lost so many early polls... Everyone knows that it's the appearance of victory that matters in the primaries, because it builds momentum, so the media just did what they normally did in predicting trends and patterns with his poor early showings... Don't tell me he wasn't the darling of the left... He represented everything the Left stands for ideologically...

And the guy was hilarious. He would try to outshout any dissenting opinions.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Dean... heh. and they wanted to give that guy access to the button.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom
Djarums, do you not think it would be in Americas best interest to try and actually make some friends for once? Kerrys line on the UN is admirable and one that is requisite in the interests of considered (fair?) international diplomacy.

We don't need friends who try to hold us down, we need friends who will back us up. That's the UK, Australia, Canada (most of the time), S. Korea, Japan, and a host of other nations... It's funny how they talk about the Coalition in Iraq being unilateral when we've got 30+ nations helping us out over there...

People always act like the only friends that matter are in Western Europe. Isn't that kind of racist? Heck, we're more multicultural now in our alliances than before!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly. Why should we try and please France and Germany when all they want is to hobble us and to prevent us from pursuing our interests? The fact that France and Germany throw their weight around so much in the EU, and that Schroeder campaigned on a thoroughly anti-American platform, is enough proof to show that being "embraced by the world" would mostly involve bending over for everyone that hates our guts and saying "thank you" when they're done screwing us over.

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Isn't that what U.S. foreign policy is? The U.S. does whatever it takes to get what they want(Bribery, intimidation, sanctions, etc). The U.S. is no leader on implementing foreign policy.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
It doesn't take kerry years to change his ideas. Just give him 15 min and a different crowd and he whistles a new tune.

His policy about the U.N. is a JOKE. Nations that are weak calls us "Arragant". Those same nations with there tit in a wringer call us "Best of friends". They have that luxury because of weak democrats and liberals who dont want to ruffle any feathers. We send aid to almost every country on this planet, has any country sent aid to us ??? We dont even ask!!

And as far as mending the international fences, the US goes to the aid of every country on this planet, that is a fact. You hear countrys like france spouting off and pointing fingers. Have they forgot the only reason they are able to do that today is because of all the AMERICAN BLOOD that was spilled liberating them from Germany. It was ok for our young men to die then.

YOU WANT TO SEE international fences mended ??? Stop the US aid abroad, bring our troops home from around the world, close our borders, stop importing and stop outsourcing . Then you will see all the fences mended.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Never Forget !!!!!!!!!!
Thoughts from a British Reporter

No matter what your views on President Bush's
statement of upcoming war, this, from an English
journalist, is very interesting. Just a word of
background for those of you who aren't familiar with
the UK's Daily Mirror. This is a notoriously
left-wing daily that is normally not supportive of the
Colonials across the Atlantic.

Tony Parsons ... Daily Mirror ... September 11, 2002

One year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of
broadcasting -- the mass murder of thousands, live on
television. As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of
the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol
Pot's Mountain of Skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal
bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi concentration
camps.

An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so
utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on
one thing - nobody deserves this fate. Surely there
could be consensus: The victims were truly innocent,
the perpetrators truly evil.

But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly
seen as America's comeuppance. Incredibly,
anti-Americanism has increased over the last year.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the
USA in this country; too loud, too rich, too full of
themselves, and so much happier than Europeans -- but
it has become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to
me. More than that, it turns my stomach.

America is this country's greatest friend and our
staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture,
language and blood. A little over half a century ago,
around half a million Americans died for our freedoms,
as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon? And
exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women
and children -- not just Americans, but from dozens of
countries -- were butchered by a small group of
religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

What touched the heart about those who died in the
Twin Towers and on the planes, was that we recognized
them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's son and
somebody's daughter, husbands, wives, and children,
some unborn.

And these people brought it on themselves? Their
nation is to blame for their meticulously planned
slaughter?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted
nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see
America as the Great Satan. The anti-American
alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who
blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World,
and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter
that the world's only superpower can do what it likes
without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous
restraint since September 11.

Remember ... remember .... remember ... the
gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives
to say, "I love you," before they were burned alive.

Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the
top of burning skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of
firemen buried alive.

Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little
girl who was on one of the planes with her mum..

Remember .... remember .

And realize that America has never retaliated for 9/11
in anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked up without a
trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex ....

So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after
they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full
of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they
should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world
into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of
strength. American voices are already being raised
against attacking Iraq -- that's what a democracy is
for. How many in the Islamic world will have a
minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of
9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to
say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those
freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the
street. America watched all of that -- and didn't
push the button. We should thank the stars that
America is the most powerful nation in the world. I
still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke
all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism." A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening
the gates of hell" if America attacks Iraq. Well,
America could have opened the gates of hell like you
wouldn't believe.

The US is the most militarily powerful nation that
ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in
Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the
planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and
light to these wretched countries. How many
democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the
Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of
one hand -- assuming you haven't had any chopped off
for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that
makes me Bush's poodle...

But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a
Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because
it is what every country wants to be -- rich, free,
strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the
past, or religion, or some caste system. America is
the best friend this country ever had and we should
start remembering that.

Or do you really think the USA is the root of all
evil? Tell it to the loved ones of the men and women
who leaped to their death from the burning towers.

Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on
one of the hijacked planes, or were ripped apart in a
collapsing skyscraper. And tell it to the hundreds of
young widows whose husbands worked for the New York
Fire Department.

To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than
Saddam Hussein. Once we were told that Saddam gassed
the Kurds, tortured his own people and set up
rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes
Quality Street. Save me the orange center, Oh Mighty
One!

Remember .... remember ... September 11. One of the
greatest atrocities in human history was committed
against America.

No, do more than remember. Never forget.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join