It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Anti-vandal' CCTV in school toilets defended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods, feel free to move if need be.

'Anti-vandal' CCTV in school toilets defended

A junior school headteacher today defended using CCTV to monitor toilet blocks in an effort to deter vandals.

Len Holman, head at Angel Road Junior School in Norwich, said pupils had requested the cameras, which cover the sinks, to protect newly-refurbished toilet blocks.

So far there are cameras in 28 classrooms as well as corridors and stairwells, and there are 40 more outside.
Deputy headteacher Mike Rush said he envisaged the number of cameras doubling when the rest of the building is complete.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of this?
Is it good protection, or too intrusive and behavior altering?

www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 16/11/10 by NonKonphormist because: condensing

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
We in the UK are the most watched country in the world, one fifth of the world CCTV camera's are in the UK.
In my opinion, this just goes to show how far this problem has got, how long before they are in our homes?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
last time i was in junior school we had zero cameras and zero vandalism....i am just waiting for the first mega city is built and then we get the judges.....(judge dredd material
)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I find the idea of putting CCTV in the kids toilets rather repugnant.. as I do the principle of creating open unisex toilets with frosted glass doors or the use of things like fingerprint scanners to track children from class to class.. none of those things have [in my mind] a justifiable place in our schools
and are nothing more than indoctrination techniques

edit on 16/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well said, I also believe it's a way of getting the next generation used to being watched, if they've always been watched by cameras, as an adult it wont bother them so much.
Also, the taking of kids fingerprint's could possibly be a way to get the next generation used to the whole biometric/micro chip future.
I have stopped my daughters school from taking her fingerprints, the have issued her with a swipe card instead.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well said, I also believe it's a way of getting the next generation used to being watched, if they've always been watched by cameras, as an adult it wont bother them so much.
Also, the taking of kids fingerprint's could possibly be a way to get the next generation used to the whole biometric/micro chip future.
I have stopped my daughters school from taking her fingerprints, the have issued her with a swipe card instead.

These are [in my opinion] simply methods to ensure children are accepting of the intrusive nature of the state.. I am disappointed that our system is so closed and regulated, their [the establishments] approach seems to be that they attempting to create nothing more than a big brother accepting "mini me"

I wonder if in the future that will be our only export.. methods and technology on how to indoctrinate and control the masses
all to 1984 for my liking.

new topics

top topics

join