It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Students Avoid the Dreaded "F"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Local Students Avoid the Dreaded "F"

www.nbcwashington.com

Motivation. Does failure motivate? Or does a wider window for success inspire better?

In that spirit, report cards issued at the school now indicate "I" for incomplete rather than the classic "F." As was first reported by the Washington Post, the "I" means students still owe their teachers work. The "I" means they can still avoid the dreaded "F." The "I" means a chance to earn an "A," even though you didn't do the work when it was due.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As a Senior in High School, I can only imagine what sort of atmosphere this would create at my school if a similar idea was adopted:

*Why meet any deadlines? I can make it up for full credit later.

*Why try hard on the assignment? I'll just scribble down some junk answers, pay attention in class when we review the assignment, jot down the answers and do it all over again for an 'A'.

*Why pay attention in class? I'll just get the answers from another student. What are they going to do if they catch us? "Incomplete" me?

Yes, this is a horrible idea. Absolutely horrible. It's no wonder why the intelligence level in my peers is dropping drastically. Combine this with junk television, lack of desire for reading, and parents who do all the work for their kids, and we'll have one failure of a generation.

On the bright side: it should be a lot easier to get into college: all of your peers won't be intelligent enough to meet the criteria, so there won't be any competition. Unless, we lower those standards too...

www.nbcwashington.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Educational standards have definitely dropped, but it's a trend that's been going on now for 20-30 years.

There's even a new Web site start-up that allows you to buy your college classmate's class notes, no need to bother attending classes anymore.

Use to be hiring a graduate indicated they had the fortitude and perseverance to complete their education, but now it really doesn't prove anything when the system caters to slackers and cheaters. Some of this you can blame on "No Child Left Behind".

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
After my sons came home with 1's, 2's and 3's on their report card I quickly removed them from the government schools and they now attend private school. Yea I had to get a second job to pay for it but it is totally worth it to me.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This is absolutley stupid! Our generation is already lazy at is it, this is going to make it worse! Half the people dont even turn up to college already, this is really going to help isnt it!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Getting kids ready for the work world!

If you don't get your job done on time, your boss will give you an I for incomplete, not F for FIRED.

Good luck with that!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If only parents trusted themselves enough to educate their own children....?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gatorboi117

And some people wonder why the US is slipping in education ratings.....

Math is a good example. Link

Along with scale scores, the 2006 PISA uses six proficiency levels to describe student performance in science literacy, with level 6 being the highest. The United States had greater percentages of students below and at level 1 (25%) than the OECD average percentages on the combined science literacy scale (19%). (2)

In the United States, only 6% of 8th-grade students reached the advanced benchmark for international mathematics standards compared with: 45% for Chinese Taipei, 40% for the Republic of Korea, 40% for Singapore, 31% for Japan, 10% for Hungary, 8% for England and 8% for the Russian Federation.

Hmmm....I wonder why the US gets these ratings?

edit on 16-11-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

The website is for people who can't make it to class for various reasons, not for people who skip class just for the sake of it. It is just another way people can make money. People ask all the time for people's notes who missed class because they were sick, had a family emergency, etc. Most college classes even take attendance nowadays, so even if you skip and buy notes your grades could still falter. Yeah, many people abuse it, but it is there for people to get help when they really need it. But just like all systems in the US, they get taken advantage of.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So, maybe I do not agree with students who turn in late work to receive the same grade as someone who turned in their work on time. But what they are trying to do is encourage kids who receive an "f" to not just accept it. They want kids to actually have a second chance. Since when is giving someone a second chance a bad thing? It is the kids who really do not care to receive an F. I understand slip ups occur occasionally. But you guys act as if high school prepares kids for the "adult" world anyway! I was in high school once, and that is one thing I must say did the complete opposite of! I graduated with honors, when I barely went to class and if I did, I slept. What the schools teach is conformity. What are tests anyways? All they are doing is seeing what kids can regurgitate. It tests them little on what they actually know. Teachers test them on what they think they SHOULD know. When the teachers don't even come up with the curriculum themselves! So there are bored teachers, teaching students who are bored themselves! I had a chemistry teacher in high school that would just read from the book. Literally, sit in a chair and skim over the book. REALLY?? I thought that was the biggest waste of MY time. I can read that book myself! And what is the first semester of classes anyway? All it is is a recap from the last semester, because we all know students "forget" things over the summer. So, parents, do you really know what is going on in your child's high school. Or do you just rely on what types of grades they bring home? Or do you even care enough to know? Everyone knows who that "dumb" kid in class is because the teacher ridicules them for it. So why would that kid want to try? I believe education is important. And it is a shame that schools literally put kids on a scale in order to see who is the "smartest." Maybe it is the kids who know all the information that literally just do not want to do the work because they are so bored. Because teachers hardly push their kids to their limits so they can rise above and beyond. The school system makes a curriculum easy enough, as to assure this does not happen. Like I mentioned earlier, it is the education that matters not exactly the schooling. What is the purpose of schooling anyway? It is to create kids who can barely think for themselves. It is to teach kids how to conform and "fit" in. It is to create a manageable society who can play by the rules. Is it really necessary? Or is it just a place kids can go to "learn" so it is easier to watch what they are doing?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by namenone1
This is absolutley stupid! Our generation is already lazy at is it, this is going to make it worse! Half the people dont even turn up to college already, this is really going to help isnt it!

Cause kids know. Fk PPT(Power point), it fails (wheres writing)? Ya, I'm one of them too. Your Gen had it better, I have to do all my HW online, like wtf is this.
edit on 22-11-2010 by makemap because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2010 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's sad but our children will be dumber and dumber unless something major is done. Please for God's sake don't let the government try to help. They f*@k up enough on their own.

top topics

join