It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think is the biggest problem facing the world right now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's a fairly simple, open question. I put it in chit chat because it's sort of about....anything.

Personally, I think the biggest problem facing the world is inadequate education overall. We would probably be on a better track to solving problems if worldwide education improved quite a bit.

What about the rest of you? What are your thoughts?

And remember: Keep it civil, this is just a nice bit of chit chat.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well how can we narrow it down? To me man and the world has various problems. All the problems come from man. Man is the most complex and dangerous animal of them all. Man uses a lot of resource daily which destroys the Eco system, man goes to war on their own will, and so forth. Man is crazy!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wars, corruption, greed, hunger... That's for starters. There are so many problems in the world today it is difficult to know where to begin. Things don't have to be the way they are. If people had love and compasion and kindness the world over, things wouldn't be the chaotic mess that they are.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The ever expanding technological boom, without setting a goal. Like a better system for the common person to enjoy the true things in life, family, friends, and pursuit of happiness.

We barely appreciate the technology we have before the next big thing hits your credit card... please, lets calm down, slow down, reflect, and set a goal of where humanity is going, should be going, and what we're going to do about it.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I certainly agree with you on the subject of education. While it has always been something of a politicized institution which skews people's minds and warps true creative thinking, more recently it has become a money-making joke. Curriculum has been sanitized and watered-down so they can give student loans to anyone who can hold a pen and make it to class.

On another note, I think the biggest problem facing the world right is food security, or lack of it. Things appear to be getting pretty bad due to climate change and the derailed world economy. I believe we are heading into a global famine situation which will be exacerbated by the money system. Speculators will drive commodities through the roof as food supplies dwindle making access to food even more difficult. Get money and incompetent governments out of the way and we might be able to actually save people through smarter production and supply chain management when the food problem starts hitting critical mass.

Just my two bit, for what it's worth...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Personally, I think the biggest problem facing the world is inadequate education overall. We would probably be on a better track to solving problems if worldwide education improved quite a bit.

What about the rest of you? What are your thoughts?

One could argue lack of education but I would ask that you elucidate that point. In my mind the biggest problem facing the world is ignorance. Perhaps we would agree but I don't feel there is the lack of educational material to solidify young minds into future scientists, engineers, etc. I feel young minds are being mushed by a system that prefers to focus on inane topics that keep them from reaching their full potential.

I am ashamed that upon reading this purported 1895 8th grade test, I had trouble with it:
www.barefootsworld.net...

I could go on but welcome your thoughts on what I have posted. I agree that education is an issue but wonder how to resolve it when it seems the PTB have full intentions of cheating our children from the education they could have and making damn sure they are as ignorant as possible to the world around them....all the while indicating they need millions more to properly educate our youth.

Great post!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
To me its pretty simple - overpopulation. Too many people on this planet now causing shrinking natural habitat for wildlife and a hunger for resources.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

How would you define ''education'' ?

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of EDUCATION
1 a : the action or process of educating or of being educated;
also : a stage of such a process b : the knowledge and development resulting from an educational process
2 : the field of study that deals mainly with methods of teaching and learning in schools

And to elaborate, the definition of ''educating'' and ''educated'' from the same source:

Definition of EDUCATE transitive verb
1 a : to provide schooling for
b : to train by formal instruction and supervised practice especially in a skill, trade, or profession
2 a : to develop mentally, morally, or aesthetically especially by instruction

Are you arguing for education, in terms of schools ?
I think that even the poorest and remotest communities throughout the world have schools.

Are you arguing for education, as in the instruction and supervision in a skill, trade and profession ?
I think that this would be highly useful, but I don't think that it would drastically change the world ?

Are you arguing for education, as defined by the process of developing mentally, morally, or aesthetically by instruction ?
This raises alarm bells, as the definition is tantamount to brainwashing.

Are you arguing for education in another sense ?
If so, in what way ?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
To me its pretty simple - overpopulation. Too many people on this planet now causing shrinking natural habitat for wildlife and a hunger for resources.

That simplistic argument has been proven patently false time and time again. If you feel overpopulation is an issue, you know what to do. G'bye.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Dear madnessinmysoul

The answer is man. Man although the cleverest of the animals is easily led.

By propaganda that Goebbles was a mere beginner at.

The clever rich fat old men that lead the young to war and worse.

edit on 15-11-2010 by MAC269 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

How would you define ''education'' ?

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of EDUCATION
1 a : the action or process of educating or of being educated;
also : a stage of such a process b : the knowledge and development resulting from an educational process
2 : the field of study that deals mainly with methods of teaching and learning in schools

And to elaborate, the definition of ''educating'' and ''educated'' from the same source:

Definition of EDUCATE transitive verb
1 a : to provide schooling for
b : to train by formal instruction and supervised practice especially in a skill, trade, or profession
2 a : to develop mentally, morally, or aesthetically especially by instruction

Are you arguing for education, in terms of schools ?
I think that even the poorest and remotest communities throughout the world have schools.

Are you arguing for education, as in the instruction and supervision in a skill, trade and profession ?
I think that this would be highly useful, but I don't think that it would drastically change the world.

Are you arguing for education, as defined by the process of developing mentally, morally, or aesthetically by instruction ?
This raises alarm bells, as this definition is tantamount to brainwashing.

Are you arguing for education in another sense ?
If so, in what way ?

edit on 15-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

Originally posted by 3finjo

That simplistic argument has been proven patently false time and time again. If you feel overpopulation is an issue, you know what to do. G'bye.

Whoa! Why the attack? The OP asked a question and asked us to keep it civil so i posted an opinion. Where are your manners? And it has NOT been proven false time and time again. Just because there are some who disagree with it does not mean it has been proven false. And anyway, its my opinion, not stated fact. I believe the OP asked for opinions.

Lose the attitude.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Whoa! Why the attack? The OP asked a question and asked us to keep it civil so i posted an opinion. Where are your manners? And it has NOT been proven false time and time again. Just because there are some who disagree with it does not mean it has been proven false. And anyway, its my opinion, not stated fact. I believe the OP asked for opinions.

Lose the attitude.

I apologize if you felt attacked...since there was no attack stated but merely a suggestion regarding how you as an individual feeling that your statement was true could immediately remedy the situation. At the same time, I tire of those who relentlessly hop on this ill sourced bandwagon as if they are a purveyor of some semblance of truth while there is no solid science to back up such fallacious claims.

Personally? I'd rather pop open a beer and converse. Once I attempt a conversation with someone indicating overpopulation, I always ask why they are still here. I gather overpopulation only applies to someone other than the individual spouting such nonsense. My guess is that if every individual spouting such nonsense were no longer overpopulating, it would be a moot point.

There was no personal attack stated nor implied. I simply ask those who spout such tripe to put their money where their mouth is. Those who buy that load of crap believe it's a simple numbers game. In their mind, there are too many people. So I wonder if they have determined a demographic they wish to "purge" since what are the other options?

I have enough land to house hundreds of people. Plenty of water and plenty of other resources to keep quite a few going for quite some time. I currently don't because I don't have/need to. Should such a situation be required I will absolutely do so before opting for a mindset that they are some kind of scourge/virus that need to be removed so some simpletons can have things the way they see fit.

Cheers!! Let's pop a cold one and talk...just don't talk about eugenics unless you're willing to be first up to remedy the situation.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

My point is that we are not the only animals on this planet, and we are slowly spreading out far and wide taking over their domain as our own as if it was our right to do so. The natural harmony and balance is gone. You obviously only deal in terms of mathematical equation - how much land divided by the number of people etc etc, but I and many others don't think that way.

Did i advocate wholesale slaughter of humans? No, did I say that i have the answers? No, I really don't know how we will get ourselves out of this mess. But you use emotive language to attack my opinion so I can tell you feel strongly about it. As for me, I have made choices as to how I live. This is just my opinion, and I don't really care if anyone else agrees with it or not.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Jersey Shore.

....kidding, it's #2.

Seriously, I think the problem is that more and more people I observe are getting too insensitive. The number of people who just don't give a damn/who just don't care is on the rise. Yes, there are many problems in the world, but I think they would all find solutions if there was a bit more empathy in this world. We're losing the "human" aspect of being a human being.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Apathy

Were it not for apathy, we would stand up and protect our fellow man,
Were it not for apathy, the Taliban and other terror groups would be hunted down by villagers (with pitch-forks!)
Were it not for apathy, the drug cartels and slave trading would have been shut down long ago
Were it not for apathy, parents would teach their children to read
Were it not for apathy, the economy would not be in the toilet
Were it not for apathy, there would be no wars as the citizens of every country would rise up over un-just leaders
Were it not for apathy, mothers would feed their children instead of their addictions
Were it not for apathy, husbands would remain faithful to their wives
Were it not for apathy, the word "father" would still carry honor in the church

Apathy is the lack of caring. If we fail to care... we just fail.
edit on 16-11-2010 by sisgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
We (as mankind) have some serious problems on our hands...

Education is one major problem.
Accessibility of knowledge for the masses.
Knowledge gathered by scientific method.
Rational reasoning and logical exchange instead of religious belief, faith based judgement or other nonsense.
We need generally accepted sociopolitical principles for every human being instead of biblical commandments/sharia.
Kind of like the human rights but properly executed for everyone

Free exercise of religion is all well and good, BUT should be strictly devided from any kind of politics or science at any time.
This would solve most of our problems for starters...

Today I saw this video postet by MrXYZ:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
as long as someone like Mr. John Shimkus can be elected as a Congressman we're not going anywhere.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WfknSmth

English isnt my first language so had something mixed up

Insufficient Education is one major problem.
We need more Accessibility of knowledge for the masses.
And by that I mean Knowledge gathered by scientific method.
We need Rational reasoning and logical exchange instead of religious belief, faith based judgement or other nonsense.

the rest of my previous post was right though...

fixed

edit on 23-11-2010 by WfknSmth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join