It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists propose one-way trips to Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Scientists propose one-way trips to Mars

news.yahoo.com

It's usually cheaper to fly one way, even to Mars.

Two scientists are suggesting that colonization of the red planet could happen faster and more economically if astronauts behaved like the first settlers to come to North America — not expecting to go home.

"The main point is to get Mars exploration moving," said Dirk Schulze-Makuch, a Washington State University professor who co-authored an article that seriously proposes what sounds like a preposterous idea.

At least one moon-walking astronaut was not impressed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The technology already exists, or is within easy reach, they wrote. By not taking the extra fuel and provisions necessary for a return trip to Earth, the mission could cut costs by 80 percent.

I think the reason these guys want to expand humanity beyond Earth is a little off, but how many people would take the sacrifice to live the rest of their lives on Mars? I'm sure there would be more than enough volunteers to have an all-expenses paid trip to a new world... And we're only two decades away? Can't wait to see what comes of this proposal.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Can we enlist every politician and corporate CEO that have screwed us all. I would love to see them fly off to the red planet and never come back.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Sign me up, I will go.

I think this would be an amazing opportunity.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thread here on One Way To Mars

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It could be like a sci-fi novel and be an opportunity for convicted criminals with life or multiple life sentences to do something to get rid of their criminal past. Imagine how many people may line up in the prison system ,especially on death row?

Sit in the cell and rot away until the executioners axe falls.
or....
Go into space and possibly be recorded as one of the first people to step foot/live on Mars. Unfortunate accidents pending.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

Would you really want the future of humanity's settlement on another planet to begin with criminals?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Well, there is another thread, but that question is just so easyl, hard to let it go, sorry.....

Australia turned out pretty OK, after all......

Maybe Mars would be a good form of rehabilitation??

But, I don't take it all too seriously, not at first. Eventually, though...colonization, and permance will happen. Don't know how long, though....

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Eh, we'll have the means to get to mars in under two months before long, which makes this kind of specualtion moot, imo anyway.

Mars in 40 days

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Either way they do it, lets just get on with it. It's about time we got off this rock in a more permanent fashion with either the Moon or Mars as the destination.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Lots of settlers to new places die. And thats here on Earth where we can breathe the air and drink the water any where on the planet that we are. We do not have the ability to create self sustaining closed environments yet. Not even here on Earth, as the Bio-Sphere experiments showed. When and if we start sending people to Mars with one way tickets lots of people are going to straight up die.

So I suggest we send the worlds leaders first.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I searched up "trip mars" and a couple of other phrases to no avail. Funny that you posted that up in October but Yahoo posted this only 10 minutes before I created the thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was reading a similar story in the newspaper regarding being in space for 9 months. They were explaining what would happen to the human body as its in a different weight enviroment for so long. I'm not sure how humans would be able to adapt to such a change. Unless you took someone there at an early age, they could adapt to it?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The only problem would be making all the accommodations , sending them to Mars, and then having them die right away.. That'd be a huge waste of money, but i'd be willing to donate

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
The only problem would be making all the accommodations , sending them to Mars, and then having them die right away.. That'd be a huge waste of money, but i'd be willing to donate

Your money or your life?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Money......

No way you're getting me to leave a world of beaches, beautiful trees and beautiful women to live on a red rock

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Send those higher ups there. Average surface temperature on Mars is -46 degrees C. At night time it can dip down to -120-140 degrees C. Bring lots and lots of clothes. Lungs will freeze instantly if you take one breath outside during the night time. It could reach to a maximum of 20 degrees C yay! Along the equator during summer time.

You'll however feel 38 percent lighter. 150 pound person will weigh 93 pounds

Bring an Oxygen tank with you. The amount of oxygen in the atmosphere in Mars is 0.13 percent instead of the normal oxygen levels of being 22ish percent over here.

Good luck for those who are going to fly there, life expectancy will be very short.

Nasa should've sent algae and plant life to Mars first, or to create a atmosphere. that will be warm enough
edit on 15-11-2010 by Shrukin89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I wasn't saying to do it, it was just an idea that sounds very sci-fi short storyline to me. Plus, if they found any hostile aliens or lifeforms, I figure some hardened criminals could put a xenomorph in it's place.

Plus, if I didn't have family and was going nowhere in life, I'd hop on an experimental shuttle and launch into space.

Space+Criminals=...Space Australia?

I mean, I'm kidding with the Australia bit, don't want to anger our friends over there.

new topics

top topics

join