It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Defections Continue Amid Food Shortage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wonder what the North Korean government thinks when it finds out that many of the North Koreans are leaving the country? Oh wait! I do know what they do! They send the people to concentration camps. Poor people.
Source

The South Korean government says that more than 10,000 North Koreans reached the South during the past three years. South Korea's government said Monday the total number of North Korean defectors has surpassed 20,000 since the end of fighting in the Korean War in 1953.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yeah, the sanctions must be working.

We never knew that sanctions only hurt the people, so when the people cross the border looking for a better life, they must be running away from the bad a$$ government of theirs.

What a news

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Yeah, the sanctions must be working.

We never knew that sanctions only hurt the people, so when the people cross the border looking for a better life, they must be running away from the bad a$$ government of theirs.

What a news

I see you never fail to disappoint. I wonder why N. Korea can't grow its own food... Could it be they are to busy spending resources to maintain a military they can't afford against a threat that doesnt exist?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Heard of drought and what it means?

Plus isn't US presence in S-Korea a threat to North>? Isn't US and N-Korea still officially at war?

Why doesn't US pursue a peace treaty instead of sanctioning the North?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

We did pursue a peace treaty. The North rejected it and ever sincethe US has remained in S. Korea at the requesst of the S. Korean Government as well as UN mandate since the war is not over. The UN has sanctions against N. Korea for their actions from the Korean war as well as many incidents that have occured since then, including their nuclear program. As far as a threat to peace, it would be N. Korea that constantly threatens to engulf S. Korea in an ocean of fire. The recent encounters have occured because N. Korea fired over the DMZ or lobbed artillery shells into S. Korean territory.

All N. Korea has to do is sign a peace treaty that ends the war.. No other conditions, yet they refuse.

The fact they are building a new light water reactor is a good step for them in terms of power generation. The food shortages have nothing to do with drought, since they have been importing food for a long time now from the UN as well as other countries, including S. Korea and the United States. Even though we know the food is diverted to their military, we still supply food in hopes it makes it to the people.

Since N. Korea has booted the vast majority of NGO's, there is no way to know how much of the food gets to the people.

The situation in N. Korea has nothing to do with the UN, the US or any other country. It has everything to do with N. Korea and their government and the manner in which they run their country.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

yes, everyone knows that cept oozy.

can't figure out why he don't know this. stroke?

NK is china's bratty little brother, why don't they feed them?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Pyongyang wants nuclear talks in exchange for treaty as US envoy describes North Korea's human rights record as appalling

It is the US that doesn't want a peace treaty, if they had a peace treaty, South and North would slowly unite, that unity would go against US presence in the area to counter Chinese influence.

"If confidence is to be built between [North Korea] and the US, it is essential to conclude a peace treaty for terminating the state of war, a root cause of the hostile relations, to begin with," the official Korean Central News Agency quoted the foreign ministry as saying.

How can N-Korea not be scared? I mean who is not scared of the US? I feel sorry for the N-Korean people, you know as well as I that the sanctions have deeply effected the country, why do you deflect it.

Do you suppose the sanctions will help the people of N-Korea? It will do nothing, so why implement sanctions?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

nothing will help the people of nk.

is that why you want china to defeat the US? so NK people will get a hot meal?

no one else can give it to them? CHINA!?

RUSSIA!?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by oozyism

nothing will help the people of nk.

is that why you want china to defeat the US? so NK people will get a hot meal?

no one else can give it to them? CHINA!?

RUSSIA!?

No one is asking US for anything, but to end hostility and the state of war with N-Korea.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

No one is asking US for anything, but to end hostility and the state of war with N-Korea.

Second line.

The Korean War (1950–armistice, 1953)

Source

ar·mi·stice noun \ˈär-mə-stəs\

: temporary suspension of hostilities by agreement between the opponents : truce

Source

Mission accomplished, 57 years ago. Next thought?

~Heff

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

thanks heff,

another small fact oozy doesn't know.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

There is a huge difference between a truce and a peace treaty.

Duuh..

North Korea's foreign ministry said it wanted peace talks with Washington to work towards a more formal accord to replace the truce which ended the 1950-53 Korean war, bringing about Korea's separation. This would be a means for the North to re-enter six-party nuclear discussions involving the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia.

www.guardian.co.uk...

If the US doesn't want peace, then the US is a direct threat to N-Korea. That threat is taken seriously.

Sanctions hurt no body but the N-Korea people, why doesn't anyone accept that?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

And every time the US, along with the 5 other nations involved in that process, has made concessions to North Korea, the North has taken the aid, then restarted their program. This has been done many times going back the the Clinton administration.

North Korea is not scared of the United States, and they have stated as much during their rants about the US and S. Korea. They have no problems thinking they could win a war against the US and S. Korea. Certainly this type of talk does not show they are scared. So your agrument everyone is scared of the US, while typical and expected from you, is inaccurate.

The sanctions were imposed by the United Nations, not by the United States.

Since you do what you can to ignore History, lets take a quick look as to how we arrived where we are today on the Korean Penninsula.

Korea was conquered and annxed by Japan during WWII. When the war ended, it was divided in half by the United States and the USSR. In 1948 the United Nations put together an election that was open to South and North Korea to determine where they go. The North refused to participate in that process, and as such the 2 sides formed their on governments.

The UN resolutions against N. Korea had to be supported by the Soviet Union and China in order for them to be passed, and as you can see the sanctions are in place, which says even their closest allies did not agree with the the Norths direction. The sanctions imposed by the UN revolve around military and nuclear technology. Food is nowhere near that list, and the UN, US and other countries routinely send food aid to N. Korea.

The only reason their people are in the plight they are in is because of the North Korean Government and no one else. The sanctions in place have no effect on the peple of North Korea. When you respond with disagreeing on this point, please show evidence the sanctions in place restrict food aid and are aimed at the people, and not their governments nuclear weapons program.

Even their closest ally, China, is growing tired of their actions and rhetoric. North Korea wants all sanctions lifted as a precondition to sitting down and sicussing their nuclear program. The sanctions are aimed at their nuclear program. The sanctions can be lifted if they comply with them. They don't want to, and that is their choice. That means the other countries of the world have a choice on whether they do business with N. Korea, or not.

North Korea has ignored every single peace treaty proposal.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

You know what I just realized about you?

Everytime you are wrong, you try to deflect it by writing a massive post that no one will bother to read, because we all know how the Korean war started.

We are talking about now, I posted a link where N-Kroea is clearly asking for a peace treaty with US.

What does the US say to deflect that request? The human right thingy again, now we realize the US has its own human right issues which it needs to face, which is also appalling

Don't waste my time.

You know as well as I, that sanctions don't achieve anything (but to hurt the people), and don't blame the UN, the UN can't do anything without the approval of US. Give me one instance where it has.

UN food agency says NKorea children malnourished

"I saw many children that are already losing the battle against malnutrition and their bodies and minds are stunted," she said, adding that "the need there for special fortified food for the children is very strong."

oozy shakes head

Reminds me of the million Iraqi children which died in direct result of US santions.

North Korea’s resource challenges extend well beyond biodiversity loss and perennial famine. About 80 percent of North Korea is mountainous, resulting in significant agricultural dependency on chemical fertilizers to help famers manage steep topography. This dependency in turn has led to acidification of arable land and lower crops yields that could otherwise help to feed the malnourished population.

www.koreatimes.co.kr...
edit on 16-11-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

There is a huge difference between a truce and a peace treaty.

Duuh..

North Korea's foreign ministry said it wanted peace talks with Washington to work towards a more formal accord to replace the truce which ended the 1950-53 Korean war, bringing about Korea's separation. This would be a means for the North to re-enter six-party nuclear discussions involving the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The only effective difference here between "truce" and "peace treaty" is political. You keep implying a hostility which does not exist and has not physically existed since 1953. You do realize that the UN Sanctions are not based upon US wartime policy, but rather upon North Koreas insistence upon becoming a nuclear power?

Really? You believe that a simple signature on a document would change the dynamic involved in this? Naive Oozy... Very naive.

You say that the UN is starving the North Korean people. I say that Kim Jung Il and his meglomaniacal ego are to blame. It is his warmongering rhetoric that keeps the seats at the peace table unoccupied, not US policy. Even North Koreas communist benefactor, China, won't intervene on the behalf of Kim Jung Il. Wonder why that is?

If the US doesn't want peace, then the US is a direct threat to N-Korea. That threat is taken seriously.

Sanctions hurt no body but the N-Korea people, why doesn't anyone accept that?

Well that's one distorted way of looking at it. But of course I've kind of picked up on your trend to consider anyone who hates the US as being "AOK" in your book. That's AOK with me too. I believe in your freedom to believe as you choose to believe.

Only when you say that an armistice is a lack of wanting peace, I cannot abet factual incorrectness. An armistice is peace. It is a cessation of hostility. That is what "truce" means. Peace treaties tend to happen when one nation wins. Truces happen when both nations decide to stop fighting. And since the US is not about to surrender to North Korea, and North Korea isn't too keen about surrendering to the US, I think I can live with a truce.

Oh, and a nuclear North Korea is a direct threat to the US and we take that threat very seriously, as does almost every other nation on earth. Even China. Do you not think that, with the amount of debt the US owes China that the Chinese couldn't pressure Washington into being more cordial towards Kim Jung Il if they so chose?

Again, naive Oozy.

North Koreans need only look to their "glorious leader" to see the reason they are hungry, if they are so. Because I can assure you that the members of the North Korean regime and those in power have no such problems. Kim Jung Il and his ilk are very well fed.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Lets see.. The thread is about defections from N. Korea because of food shortages, yet you spin the topic and direct it at the United States. Talk about defelction and blind hatred.

Actually you just described yourself. Anytime you make an uneducated statement, and people point this out and back it up with fact, you deflect. You hate the US and its eveident in all of your posts. If anyone shows evidence that counters your claims, you attack the person or the source as being propoganda.

The Korean war was started by North Korea. How does the World know this? Well in addition to North Korea stating it, China has also gone on record to state N. Korea started the war. The war was authorized by the United Nations, which I notice you are ok with UN actions when it goes after the US or Israel, yet dimiss it when they go after Iran, Hamas, Hezbollah, Syria, etc...

The sanctions are geared at their nuclear program, and not their food. If you did any research at all you would know this, but since it forces N. Korea to be held accountible (and I know you know what accountible is since you like to lecture people about it in your other progpoganda threads) and not the US, you reject it.

N. Korea has diverted their food aid to thier military instead of to their people, and this is documented by countries who have participated in the food aid program through the UN.

As far as my post length goes, I use the info neccisary to support the statements I make, unlike you. If the reading is too much for you, then that is your problem and not mine. However I don't think its the length of my posts that irritates you. I think its the fact that my posts counter your claims in depth, backed up with facts and sources, leaving you to play the part of the fool.

I am sorry my posts counter your propoganda. As I stated before in other threads, anytime you make a thread or a post, I will be around to counter your opinions with facts and supporting documentation. If thats not acceptable to you then you have the following options:

1 - Continue your quest as is, using deflection, lies and distortions of history to push your agenda.
2 - Base your arguments in fact with supporting documentation and evidence and argue in an informed manner
3 - Don't post

Your choice.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with the people left N.K.they just look for food ... Everyone needs to live .
N.K. should try their best to plant food ...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I'm afraid our government wants the same dependence on them as NK wants for its people.
Has anyone been watching this scary bill?
S.510 Food Safety Act

Here's a site explaining more about it:
www.naturalnews.com...

new topics

top topics

join