It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dealership: Buy Truck, Get Free AK-47

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by buddhasystem

Saigas are Russian made, but I like seeing them in American hands better than Russian hands!

It's not really used in combat, so doesn't seem relevant.

Plus, the AK-47 is vastly superior to most other assault rifles in its dependability and durability. I would never waste 3x the price buying an AR platform when I can get the AK so cheaply and with equal or superiour performance!

There have been numerous threads here on this subject. I can't comment personally because while I did use the AK, I never did the AR. I don't think results are conclusive. As I often said, the original AK-47 just have too much recoil to my taste.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

My experience with ARs is pretty limited as well. I like the recoil of the AK, but I don't believe in using anything in full auto. I can keep the AK on target for 2 or 3 quick rounds, and it can be extremely accurate for 1 round.

I can bump off 30 rounds in about 6 seconds on a semi-auto version, but it seems like a waste of ammo, so I rarely do it. It is impressive and makes a lot of noise for the rookies that have never shot one before.

The problem for me is the cost. I have never seen a decent AR for $200 or $400 bucks, but you can pick up the AK all the time for that price. Why spend all that extra money for the AR when it is not significantly better? It might even be significantly worse!

For me, I might buy a nice expensive hunting rifle, or a tricked out 1911, but I won't spend a lot of money for an assault rifle that is mostly just for fun. If I ever "need" an assault rifle, I will want the AK, because it has proven so durable in every theater in the world for decades and I can always get more ammo from my enemies.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The problem for me is the cost. I have never seen a decent AR for $200 or $400 bucks, but you can pick up the AK all the time for that price. Why spend all that extra money for the AR when it is not significantly better? It might even be significantly worse!

You get what you pay for. The collective term "AK" applies to any number of clones of dubious quality of manufacture and provenance. I heard that genuine Soviet articles in good condition are quite expensive. Things like quality of steel in the barrel matter. Then again I'm not a gun expert.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

To end this debate, I can inform you both, that the AK, regardless of version, manufacturer, are more dependable, rugged, and versatile. Yes the AR, and M4 are good weapons, but lack dependability.
Case in point, a year or so ago, my ex-brother-in-law, whom owned an M4, and myself, which I have an Romanian AK, both debated as you are now. To prove our theory, we both dropped our weapons in a mud pit in the mtn"s of New Mexico, ( we were on a bird hunt at the time ), and stomped on our weapons while they laid in the mud. Once completed, we then tried to fire our weapons, while mud soaked. His M4?, no go....not even a sound. But the AK, fired two rounds to clean the bore and the muzzle, and went right back to firing.

Now I know this is a small example, but in my experience of firing, ( not owning AR/M4 ), these weapons though they have a flat trajectory, just aren't as reliable as an AK in the heat of the battle. Which would further suggest, why militia's and countries armies around the world predominantly carry AK's.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
It's not really used in combat, so doesn't seem relevant.

Huh? The Russian Spetsnaz chose the Saiga for CQB work. They use it extensively in both training and real word scenarios.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

I forgot about that...you make a really good point about the Spetsnaz. Doesn't some of the Israeli forces predominantly use AK's as well?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join