It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 Jellyfish suddenly littler San Francisco Ocean Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

10,000 Jellyfish suddenly littler San Francisco Ocean Beach

blogs.kqed.org

It wasn't the staging of a nature-gone-amok sci-fi film over at Ocean Beach this weekend And -- as far as we know -- it wasn't the first of a series of Biblical plagues being visited upon San Francisco.
It was just a whole lot of dead jellyfish -- thousands of them -- that washed ashore near Pacheco Street. From the Chronicle:

More than 10,000 of the gooey invertebrates, each about the size of a dinner plate, drifted onto the beach Friday evening. By Sunday, they had attracted hordes of the curious, the repulsed and the fascinated.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com
www.ktvu.com
abclocal.go.com

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ok so this was unusual, everyone should be able to admit that this is not the norm... oh wait... one in every crowd to take the interesting and try to make it mundane and dull...

"A marine biologist at the Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39 told the Chronicle that jellyfish have been washing ashore around the Bay for 500 million years or more."

yeah... but not recently like this dude, we would have noticed. And there are a lot of people who live here and know that just sounds like a silly thing you are saying because you have no idea why they are 10,000 jellyfish on the beach en masse.

blogs.kqed.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11/15/2010 by trusername because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I've been in the harbors at SF, Newport and San Diego and moon jellyfish are pretty damn well much all over the place near the docks regardless of the time of year.

abnormal is when you DON'T see jellyfish.
edit on 11/15/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

cool images - especially slide # 2
edit on 11/15/2010 by trusername because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Hundreds of jellyfish I totally agree. But check out these photos. I know Ocean Beach and so do all the surfers out here with their cameras. Are you sure it's common for you to see this many? We never have.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There is always a ton of jellyfish in SB, but typically not 10,000. Is that a rough estimate it or are they counting? Although i did see a dead shark on the beach the other day.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I grew up in Santa Cruz Ca. south of San Francisco area . We surfed the coast from maverics to mexico and the jellyfish would come up on the beach in different areas all the time. Usually after a big swell and the ocean was churning the coastline like a dishwasher. The waves on the Ca. coast get really big sometimes and I'll bet this is one of those times. Let the scientific comunity try to explain is not worth the money they spend to tell you this is natural.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername
reply to post by abecedarian

Hundreds of jellyfish I totally agree. But check out these photos. I know Ocean Beach and so do all the surfers out here with their cameras. Are you sure it's common for you to see this many? We never have.

A marine biologist at the Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39 told the Chronicle that jellyfish have been washing ashore around the Bay for 500 million years or more.

need anyone say more?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Now we know, that LA missile landed in the pacific a bit up north and took out a bloom of jellies. Damn Chinese.

That 2nd slideshow pic is really something to see. Would have hated to be on the beach when that washed in.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Keep in mind that this part of SF does not face the ocean in spite of its name.
... heck most every part of Sf does not face towards the ocean...

The SFBay is for the most part a fairly calm body of water. That in itself lends towards crowded jellyfish.
edit on 11/15/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Its sad to see this loss of life, I hope its not from the dispertents and OIL...
2nd

new topics

top topics

join