It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic bishops: More exorcists needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Catholic bishops: More exorcists needed

www.washingtontimes.com

NEW YORK (AP) — Citing a shortage of priests who can perform the rite, the nation's Roman Catholic bishops are holding a conference on how to conduct exorcisms.

The two-day training, which ends Saturday in Baltimore, is to outline the scriptural basis of evil, instruct clergy on evaluating whether a person is truly possessed, and review the prayers and rituals that comprise an exorcism. Among the speakers will be Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, archbishop of Galveston-Houston, Texas, and a priest-assistant to New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11/15/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: All Caps title

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well I guess in a crappy economy where jobs are at a premium...why not become an Exorcist?

Seriously though, I know that the practice of the Rite of Exorcism is generally frowned upon in the US. So really the only reasons I can come up with for the increase in demand would be the following...

1. More and more immigrants (legal and otherwise) currently in the United States. In many other nations, exorcisms are more widely practiced and accepted. Supply and demand.

2. An attempt by the Church to tap a previously underused income. The economy is in shambles and even the Catholic Church feels it. Why not expand services to increase cash flow?

3. Maybe there has been a sudden influx of demons from the nether-regions and they are trying to get a jump on it before it gets out of hand
. See: Pelosi, Nancy.

4. It could also be an attempt by the Catholic Church to head off their own parishioners who might seek an exorcism from another Christian sect or another religion all together, since it was so difficult in the past to procure one from the Catholic Church. I hear that a Scientologist Exorcism is a real hoot.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

I used to drive by the hospital where the movie "the Exorcist" irl story took place. The 13th floor is still closed... A lot of people are easy to dismiss the idea that maybe there are forces out there that we don't understand.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
And how would the Vatican turn performing exorcisms into a profitable business? This is the lamest stab at the faith I have seen. Look all religions have fault, Period! Is the Vatican a business? Of course but there are factions within that still are true to form. Are you suggesting that the Vatican is going to deem certain people possessed and then force them into an exorcism while applying a charge for services rendered? Do a little research and find out how seriously the exorcism rite is taken among the branch of faith before spewing such garbage
edit on 15-11-2010 by Zippidee because: grammar

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The need must have grown since 9/11/01 with all the killing and revenge taken
instead of waiting to turn the cheek but we did get the anthrax attack was a mystery
that killed the newspaper editor the ran outrageous scandal Osama stories.
He did have odd Bush material also but perhaps never published after his death.

The evil ones must have pushed some over to the dark side.
But what about before 9/11/01, what was cooking in the devil's anti human
kitchen. We will be cooked alright unless we have the good spirit seekers.
I saw this topic but
picked up on a movie and CBS TV news spot and some related ATS threads and
net searches on the topic.

Of course the net has many threads mentioning the evil in the world but the most
we got recently is Ethics Committees. When the Illuminati has the upper hand there
there is not much we can due since the beginning of time except to be aware.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
At the church I was forced to go to, the priest was a nice guy, pretty ordinary...then my little brother was with his friends at their lake house, the priest was also there, turns out, he is an exorcist. Exorcism is one of those things that get me with Christianity, they're willing to admit that there are negative entities, but most Christians probably don't even believe in ghosts or exorcism. But a priest who has done many exorcisms will be the first to tell you that they're not fake, these people sometimes levitate and have super strength. I'd say they need more exorcists becuase so few of the priests are actually aware of these things and there are gradually fewer and fewer left, it's probably not becuase of a bad economy.

On a side note, isn't it certifiably insane for these people to think that every entity is a demon...that'd be like saying that every priest was a child molester. You finally get these people to admit that there are things beyond the physical world, but then they get deluded into believing that all of it is because of the devil, quite a few christians believe that all aliens are demons and all ghosts are demonic. So they take the first step, but then they seem to forget that there would have to be some good guys among these bad guys, especially with their idea of angels. These people open up and evolve their thinking, but then they end up worse than if they hadn't accepted the fact. Everything is the devil's fault, everything good is god and everything bad is the devil, and anything that we don't understand very well, that is certainly the devil. The devil also put dinosaur bones in the ground to try to get us to not believe the Christian creation story. The funniest thing though is the fact that the Vatican is geniunely filled with many devils, they usualy go by the name of Reptilians. These are the real devils, these are who really need to be exorcised, and they're actually the inspiration for the horned, clawed, winged, and tailed devil with menacing eyes, and European dragon. But yeah, exorcism is certainly a very real thing, it also proves that intent and energy is a powerful thing, even if you use it in an extremely misguided Christain fashion. And no, I don't think it has to do with the economy, if it were a hoax it might, but I think they are actually concerned about the lack of exorcists.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

Clearly you lack the judgement to discern tongue in cheek. Not once did I take a stab at the faith, as you claim. Not to mention, you seen to be making the assumption that I am NOT Catholic. You took my comedic commentary and ran with it as an attack on an institution.

Maybe you need to do the research...or start by reading the article that I posted. FWIW, the Exorcism rite in the US is viewed as somewhat of a "red headed stepchild", that is why exorcists keep such a low profile.

Your reactions are over the top but not something I am unfamiliar with, I saw it often growing up, even amongst those in my own family...you have a classic case of Catholic Guilt Syndrome.
There may be an Exorcism for that.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
maybe the catholic church is trying to get back to its roots. meaning that the pope wants to establish a more conservative belief. it doesn't sound that far fetched to think that the catholic church has lost touch with its faith and now does not have enough priests who are able to discern psyschological ailments from "demon possessions". of course this brings up the argument that if you have certain positions in the catholic church dealing with demon possessions, there's a fair chance that they do exist. that in itself is discussion fodder.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vimanarider
reply to post by Zippidee

Clearly you lack the judgement to discern tongue in cheek. Not once did I take a stab at the faith, as you claim. Not to mention, you seen to be making the assumption that I am NOT Catholic. You took my comedic commentary and ran with it as an attack on an institution.

Maybe you need to do the research...or start by reading the article that I posted. FWIW, the Exorcism rite in the US is viewed as somewhat of a "red headed stepchild", that is why exorcists keep such a low profile.

Your reactions are over the top but not something I am unfamiliar with, I saw it often growing up, even amongst those in my own family...you have a classic case of Catholic Guilt Syndrome.
There may be an Exorcism for that.

Ha....Ok sorry for the attack and as far as the "guilty catholic syndrome"....Were taught from a very early age that were guilty right?

new topics

top topics

join