It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your messy house = your state of mind?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I was engaging in yet another failed prediction thread. I find the threads amusing considering it is almost 100% of no predictions keep coming true yet people still put faith and hope (?) in them. Someone suggested that people are willing to believe in predictions and become all flustered about it because they simply want change to fix the world or whatever.

I was about to respond that change starts at home, and if they wanted to feel better about the world, all they gotta do is.well..the laundry. It got me thinking..

how is your home? is it museum quality clean...is it a junkyard of clutter and half eaten food on your desk...and is the state of your environment also reflected in your desire for change.

Since very few would admit to living in a pit of swill, even with the anonymous nature going on here, I would suggest giving a sliding scale. 1 being you live in a tarpit of rotting food, feces, and clutter, 10 being you live in a spartan arts center with few items immaculately kept...
I have no faith in predictions and think the world isn't that bad of a place..just typical hard times.

What about you...are you a 2 whom believes in nibiru...a 8 that finds most of this board nonsense..

Obviously it is best to be dead honest here if its going to be helpful...get past the ego thing and post...might actually turn into something that could be helpful...imagine if all your depression or angst could simply go away with a broom and some windex.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
My natural inclination is about an 8.5, unfortunately my wife's is about a 2, so the house is at about 2.1 most of the time lol.

Clutter drives me batty, puts me in a bad mood. It has a major negative impact on my ability to concentrate and relax.
edit on 15-11-2010 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes I am a bit of a scatterbrain. I tend to clean from room to room, but junk piles up. I am not as bad as those "hoarder" people, mind you!
One of my rooms in particular, where I keep all of my music is reflective of my mind. I have cds scattered all across the floor, not in any order. You would think I would choose to keep everything organized in alphabetical order so I can find whatever I wanna listen to easier. I have Morbid Angel, next to brujeria, which is next to Fantomas, Belinda Carlisle, Terence Trent D'Arby, and so forth.

But then this is how my mind works; at any given moment I have a random song that will appear in my head and so I then the search begins until I find it and can give it a spin. Then it ends up on the floor with the rest of the pile.

CX

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I have two kids...so no my home is never totaly spotless. Its clean and homely, thats good enough for me.

I have to admit though, if it becomes too untidy it can get a bit depressing. I'm not talking medicaly depressing, just a bit much.

Same with my shoes, i like my shoes to be clean when i go out and i think that stems from my army instructor who always used to say, "Shiney shoes, shiney mind!".

If you are into getting your house organized, theres a site called "Fly Lady", she adopts the same kind of attitude and it all centres around your kitchen sink being sparkling at all times.

www.flylady.net...

Don't ask me how i know about the above site.

CX.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

One brilliant thing after another...I think you are an alien!

Actually I have thought about this recently myself. I apparently like disorder. When my house is spotless I am a little uncomfortable. I realize this is not a quaint, rejection of moms fastidiousness but it is "something to do."
If the house is in order - I am forced to move beyond it.
OK now the house is in order you must go out and actually live your life.
Do something that does not involve food or shelter.
Think about bigger circles than the one you are in.

It is a little frightening to tell the truth so I mess the place up again....and instantly, I have so much to do!

Silly how we fool ourselves.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Yes I am a bit of a scatterbrain. I tend to clean from room to room, but junk piles up. I am not as bad as those "hoarder" people, mind you!

Not to worry. Einstein was a scatterbrain. He appeared to have some difficulty getting his hands on a hairbrush so, there you go...messy house!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I think you are going to find people all over the scal---ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD

Seriously though, there are people from all walks of life that visit these boards and have a wide range of beliefs and ideas. I'm not so sure the current state of their homes is a valid descriptor of their beliefs. Your range seems to dictate that the more wild the belief is, the more turmoil their homes are? I don't buy that but I guess we'll see.

As a father of 3 young children (2, 4 and 6 years old) 2 boys and a girl in the middle, my house is at varying degrees of disorder depending on my energy level for the day. Some days I just don't have the mental fortitude to clean up after them and on some days my house is spic and span although I'm never happy with it and will sometimes wear myself out trying. I guess between 2 and 5.

My beliefs are mid-line I suppose. I'm more apt to agree with anything anti-government. I believe most UFO sightings are false. I think 2012/nibru et al is bogus. I agree with supernatural/paranormal only because of my experiences with it.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
Not to worry. Einstein was a scatterbrain. He appeared to have some difficulty getting his hands on a hairbrush so, there you go...messy house!

Could not have said it better.

All these people trying to figure out whats best for everyone. Some like it neat and some do not, its a choice you know.

link   

Using your scale I am a nine. My home is where I recover from the chaos and harshness of the world and I put as much mindful energy into my space as possible. It feels like a library...hushed, plenty of lounging area and books....lots of books. I am also a candle crafter so there is plenty of soft lighting. And it is clean and clutter free. However your comparisons of those with less organizational skills and a belief system that may be "out there" would not apply in my case. I am a conspiracy nut extraordinaire.

Sometimes...actually most of the time I want to see world altering events. I want mother nature to take back control. You mentioned Nibiru....what a paradigm blowing gift that would be.

link   
We have a almost 3 year old granddaughter living with us...
When it comes to clean or messy lets just say crossing the living room in the middle of the night with the lights off is akin to tiptoeing through a minefield

CX

link   
Just to add.....my fave way of getting the place clean fast is to set a kitchen timer to 15 minutes or whatever you like. Then its a race to clean one room as quick as possible. Before you know it its sorted, or at least ten times better.

My main rule that me and the kids work by is that if we do a quick flick round 10 minutes bfore bed, we won't have to wake up to it in the morning.

That site i mentioned above, i like the "27 things" thing they suggest. This gets rid of crap you hoard and never use. Whenever you feel like it, grab a rubbish bag and dash round the room, you have to bin 27 things that you don't use or hoard for no reason.

Be ruthless and it will soon sort itself out.

I sound like one of those house cleaning programmes. Just have to train the kids better, at the moment it looks like i've had about 50 burglars in

CX.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Overall, my house is about a 6-7. There's very little clutter, because neither of us can stand it, and we're willing to throw out just about anything. But there is dog hair and dirt from the yard that I'm constantly in a battle with.
We live out in the country, off a dirt road and have a dirt lane and it's dry and windy. I can dust one morning and by that afternoon, the film is back. It's frustrating. I like for everything to have a place and be in it, so there are very few cluttered areas in our house.

My thoughts about the board are that I consider myself a skeptic, so many of the threads are just amusing or something that I shake my head over. I also often play devil's advocate.

I believe there are aliens, and government conspiracies and I don't buy the 9/11 official story, but otherwise, I'm pretty grounded in my beliefs and not really too much of a conspirator. More of a critical thinker.

Originally posted by CX
Just to add.....my fave way of getting the place clean fast is to set a kitchen timer to 15 minutes or whatever you like. Then its a race to clean one room as quick as possible. Before you know it its sorted, or at least ten times better.

CX.

Another FlyLady fan perhaps! I LOVE Flylady! Without that, my house would be a disaster!

Oh, I didn't see that you'd mentioned it above!

edit on 11/15/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

This is a great post! You just more or less described my relationship with my girlfriend.

My natural state of being is to be about a 9 or 10, my design aesthetic is very clean and Bauhaus and I barely have any possessions or anything to clutter my life I can't stand seeing junk laying on the floor, I am also highly sceptical of most supernatural things.

My girlfriend on the other hand is a 2 or 3 she does her best to fill the house with stuff from floor to ceiling, she likes really decorous High Gothic design and her book shelves are full to the brim with Ghost Stories Tarot card books and things about Witchcraft and Voodoo.

The house we share balances out around a 3-4 as she is WAY stronger willed then me

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
My dwelling could be considered to be in a state of disarray - yet after many failed attempts to bring order to the chaos, we have deduced the following:

The house was constructed during the 1940's, apparently by someone with absolutely no sense of practical design. It is next to impossible to mount anything on the walls due to the stucco, the kitchen has approx 2ft of usable counter space - there was never any provision made for a washing machine and the bathroom has about as much room in it as does the various closets throughout the house.

Now granted, we are avid bargain seekers and quite frequently will buy several of an item if it is discounted a great deal. Several years of this behavior have caused quite an accumulation of items that have been placed in boxes until they are needed.
We have two young children, boys, who can be quite messy at times.
We have clean laundry but no real place to put all of it. If the kids extra clothes get put in their bedroom over a dresser, it will wind up strewn all over the place and recycled back into the laundry before it even has a chance to get dirty again.
Rotting food is always a big no-no, although at times something will get invariably left out and sometimes begins to smell before it is noticed.
My desk, at present moment contains: A PA intercom, 19" monitor, 2 speakers, sore throat strips, cell phone, a razor blade, can of bug spray, a microscope, bottle of alcohol, empty danish wrapper, deoderant, a few pens, two toothbrushes, two forks, scissors, digital camera, bottle cap, small print server, bottle of tylenol, 8 port switch, container of cocoa butter, and XP key, a sponge, a clotheshanger, open pack of blank cd's, and a few screws. Yeah, it's a wreck. Oh, a pair of pliers, a ponytail holder, a velcro strip, and residue from some small amount of coffee spillage.
A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You got me to thinking along a different line -- Bed's made, dishes washed, laundry caught up, but I hate to dust and the carpets need a going over. I suppose this means I do the small things, but the larger picture overwhelms me at times? Does this mean we have varying degrees of ADD? Paper work piles up on the counter until I force myself to sort and file, but garbage is taken out and the dog's are picked up after in the yard. I like mowing but hate edging. I don't mind cleaning the stove but the unidentified science experiments I find in the refrigerator gross me out. I would say that my number fluctuate between a 4 and a 6. Does the lunar cycle apply? Thank you for your diversion.

CX

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by CX

CX.

Another FlyLady fan perhaps! I LOVE Flylady! Without that, my house would be a disaster!

Oh, I didn't see that you'd mentioned it above!

edit on 11/15/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Yes indeed

I don't use it as religiously as it suggests, but its good to do now and again.

I has to turn the emails off, there is only so many times a day i can handle being reminded to shine my sink!

CX.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hmmm marking thread,
will reply later

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
so, seems a person with a moderate amount of clutter is also moderately interested in the topics.
extremes may be the key...a super kept home, or a super trashed home and a conspiracy nut. unfortunately people seem to be speaking more about the environment, and often leaving out their conspiracy theory mindset, so its difficult to cross reference to see if there is any pattern so far...

perhaps a rating also of the scales of conspiracy should be in order. 1 being total conspiracy nut...10 being conspiracys are almost always the rantings of lunatics and people whom do not understand facts/science.

home = 3
theorist =7

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Interesting.

I was reading a book I found, about depression, whilst waiting in the pharmacy.

Turns out a sign of depression in people is that they compulsively keep there homes immaculate.

Any tiny speck out of place sends them on a mad mission.

Because there lives, or minds, are in dis-array, it reflects in there compulsion to keep there homes in perfect order.

So, anyone here have a wife that goes bonkers at the slightest smudge ??

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
home = 3
theorist =7

Home = 6
Theorist = 4

Interesting... they both add up to ten. Maybe you do have a point there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join