It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake near Cleveland??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Is this normal?

I have never heard of seismic activity in this area.

Magnitude 3.3 - OHIO

2004 June 30 04:03:13 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

A minor earthquake occurred at 04:03:13 (UTC) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004. The magnitude 3.3 event has been located in OHIO. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Magnitude 3.3
Date-Time Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at 04:03:13 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at 12:03:13 AM
= local time at epicenter

Location 41.830�N, 81.200�W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region OHIO
Distances 7 km (4 miles) WNW (292�) from North Perry, OH
9 km (6 miles) NNW (327�) from Perry, OH
11 km (7 miles) NE (34�) from Fairport Harbor, OH
19 km (12 miles) NE (37�) from Mentor, OH
55 km (34 miles) NE (45�) from Cleveland, OH
169 km (105 miles) ESE (111�) from Detroit, MI

[edit on 30-6-2004 by mo_trot]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   
think i can remember at least 2 reported for this area. know at least one was in the mid 80's. had a cat that was acting strange then. i felt that one, just slightly it was about coffee break time.

this is strange, as i just emailed someone who posts at synergy board and sometimes glp. TIEMPE. i had questioned if she saw anything for new madrid area as i live here, and both my pups acting sorta strange. thanks for the update.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
After the freak IL quake on the 28th, I thought that this was strange. I have studied the New Madrid extensivly and many geologist belive that it is over-due. The quakes in Illinois and Ohio are not "technically" on the New Madrid Fault system, but data on the fault is very limited. With the exception of a few magnitude 5's on the system in the past 200 years, there is very little data to map the various appendages of the fault. When I first discovered the Cleveland quake, it made me think of a prediction that I recently heard about the great lakes emtying into the gulf due to a massive quake.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   
starky's right.
I grew up outside Cleveland and sometime during second grade (85-86 or so) we had a minor, but feelable earthquake.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is an aticle posted on another board from 1994. I had no idea that there were known faults in that area.

Researchers warn of earthquake
-- For immediate release

Researchers warn Southern Ontario may face earthquakes

WATERLOO, Ont. -- If a controversial theory put forth by a team of researchers studying seismic activity in Lake Ontario proves correct, Southern Ontario is more earthquake- prone than was previously believed.

newsrelease.uwaterloo.ca...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
..and I remember the two mentioned above, I think one was in the mid 80's and the other was in the early 90's. I seem to remember reports at those times saying the quakes were due to action along the New Madrid fault that lies either right near or under the Mississippi.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
found this link on ohio pasadena.wr.usgs.gov...://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/cus/index.html
shows area of quake in ohio

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is a very good web site available that allows you to see if there are any KNOWN faults in your area. Click on the "Map-Based" link for fastest access.

qfaults.cr.usgs.gov...

It's not perfect - it only shows KNOWN faults, and you will notice that there are none shown in the Cleveland area.

join