It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Finds Youngest Nearby Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Is this the "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood" to be announced on Monday Nov. 15th?

chandra.harvard.edu...

Evidence for the youngest known black hole in our cosmic neighborhood has been found using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and other telescopes. The age and proximity of this object could provide astronomers with a unique opportunity to watch a black hole develop during its infancy.

Cheers!
edit on 15-11-2010 by AutOmatIc because: date

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Well that's certainly it! And now we know that our cosmic neighborhood extends at least 50 million light years.
I am kind of disappointed that it's "just" a probable black hole in another galaxy, but it is pretty cool considering the age.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

edit on 11/15/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by james404

Well, space is big. Really, really big.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by james404
I am kind of disappointed that it's "just" a probable black hole in another galaxy, but it is pretty cool considering the age.

All black holes have an element of uncertainty in the sense that there isn't one confirmed black hole due to them being only a working theory. We really are relying on best guesses. Hawking has already had to change his theory once before.

IRM

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
50 million light years? That's not even in the Local Group of galaxies (10 million light years across). That's within our Super Cluster though (150 million light years). That's not really the cosmic neighborhood. It's more like the cosmic county.
edit on 15-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
When I first read the thread, my original thought was......why cant anyone tell thats a monolith???

They did say our cosmic neighborhood, i assumed that was nearby but that black hole isnt....so im counting that out until the conference.

The YT video was posted back in March, looks like what we're seeing but maybe a few more? Around 1:45 the poster starts zooming in...

Im nowhere near an expert, I learn everyday but it's one thing when you know there are things out there but it's kinda scary when these things are CLOSE to us and noone has the slightest clue to what they are.

edit on 15-11-2010 by WeBrooklyn because: LInk was not working

edit on 15-11-2010 by WeBrooklyn because: Fixed Link

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Posted this in the wrong thread but still applies just not as much

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Has it occured to any of you that it would be pointless for NASA to hold a press conference to disclose something they have already disclosed. You know about the young black hole, why would NASA disclose this again. Surely if this were so, they would say so, like "Press Conference to Discuss Newly Discovered Black Hole".

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OccultScience

Perhaps they hope to divert attention away from their broke-down space shuttle.

Rocket science...

edit on 11/15/2010 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Whatever it might be, you can be assured it will not be the whole truth, it just never is, is it. Pity that, would really like to know whats going on. Oh well, thats Earth for ya...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

Please, PLEASE don't bring this topic back into debate. They're artifacts and I'm glad it's no longer being discussed here.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Just thought I'd update my original post to say that yes, this was indeed the promised information released at today's press conference. I have always been fascinated by black holes ever since I watched the old Disney movie "The Black Hole".

Here's the link to the actual release:

www.nasa.gov...

Also the article about it:

www.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed82225c516e.jpg[/atsimg]

Peace...

edit on 15-11-2010 by AutOmatIc because: pic

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Very cool. While I don't dispute the existence of black holes, I think it's possible we are fundamentally wrong on some aspects (like the gravitational pull) of the black holes, and this isn't going to hurt our study of these objects. Who knows--maybe we've been wrong all along and black holes are the "inter galaxy highways" of our universe. We can always dream, right?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Did you not read what i said buddy? "posted in the wrong thread"
Good day

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

I read it. I don't see the relvence though. Whatever thread it's posted in it's still a silly topic.

Good day.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I post in the wrong thread but because it's not to your liking then whatever it is it has to be silly.

Oh ok
Your past thread on your personal encounter with a ghost wasnt silly...
You losing a day out of your life wasnt silly....

new topics

top topics

join