It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you eat meat if animals could talk?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The question is rather simple: Would you eat meat if animals could talk? This question is targeted at all the Omnivores and Carnivores on ATS.

If a cow being taken to slaughter house could scream in agony and plead for its life do you think the slaughter house workers could murder the cow? What if a chicken could cry and beg you to spare its life when they know they are going to be murdered would a farmer kill them? Would you still eat meat fully knowing that these animals can beg and plead for mercy and their life?

In my opinion I could not eat that meat knowing that animal was screaming and pleading before its death. I’m sorry but I just couldn’t morally do that.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yes...yes I could.

Take from that simple answer what you will...but I could still do it. I have to eat, and no matter what any vegetarian or vegan tries to tell me...I have to eat meat.

Sorry. (not really)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Are you assuming that I am a vegetarian? Well if that is your assumption you are wrong as most of my foods that I eat are meat products. For instance tonight I had a McDonald’s cheeseburger with no second thoughts but if I knew the cow being slaughtered was screaming prior to its death I could not eat that burger.

link   
reply to post by Misoir

Would you walk if you had testicles on your feet?

Animals can not talk, they never could and most likely never will. If a cow could talk without being annoying, no I wouldn't kill it and eat it (happy?). Dogs can't talk and I wouldn't slaughter them and eat them (not now anyway). Livestock, domestic and wild animals are distinctly different things.

link   
Yes, I think I would still eat meat. I have heard many animals that I have shot scream before I put them out of their misery, at least there death was probably quick, compared to if they had been nabbed by a predator like coyotes.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I know animals can scream whilst being murdered but if it could *hypothetically* speak English and plead with you not to kill it could you still kill it? How about eating an animal that can speak English and plead for its life, would you still eat it?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
A counter question, would you be able to eat a plant under the same circumstances? Back to your original question: Yes I could and would. I have to eat.

Edit to add: if the noise was annoying, I'd get a ball gag.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Skid Mark because: reason given above

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Without a second thought.

SHUT UP PIG, I'M GONNA EAT YOU NOW!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Nearly the exact same title not even a week old.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Lol
www.youtube.com...
This thread reminds me of that. But honestly, I probably would yeah.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
HELL no. but I only eat fish anyway. I used to not eat fish either but I desperately needed protein and the costly soy products (decent tasting ones) on the market were not doing the job.

I wish there was a way to get things from animals without killing them. I used to love rare steak and pork roast but i just can't do it anymore. It's just so much pain and suffering that we cause... and it's not just erased. I wonder how much pain the fish feel.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ridiculous question, really. They don't.
If they could, hypothetically, would they have something amazing to say? Or would they just say, "Grass....hehe...good....."
If they were to put up an amazing, erudite discussion as to how my eating them would affect their grandchildren (for example), I'd be all ears. They don't. Scientists refer to herbivores as "prey animals" all the time. They have that status because carnivores have a tendency to eat them. Are the carnivores at fault here? No. They do what they do. The herbivores tend to be the chosen victims. They do what they do. They occasionally get eaten.
Would you eat lentils if they were sentient?
Hypothetical, and very abstract questions like this are quite silly. Would you use wood furniture if trees were capable of mathematics?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yes....

With Gravy, tators and some salad.

Wait that's what I had tonight. Perfectly grilled steak medium rare.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I suppose,being a fat american,I would have to say..........

I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Depends how hungry you are.

I'm starvin but not for food.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I would share a burger with a talking cow any day...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I probably would still eat meat. I don't think that what would come out of a cows mouth would change my attitude towards meat all that much.

I couldn't imagine they would really know a whole lot or have a deep discussion with you.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
only human arrogance thinks he is the only animal that talks.. Animals do talk to each other. So its not a structured language like humans but dont forget language is a relative new concept for humans as well, and language develops as the species developes. Some animals communicate through chemicals some through touch but most animals vocalise. To give an example theres a group of meerkats watched day and night through researchers and now the researchers literally listen in to the meerkats communicating and understand the conversation. Same with whales and dolphins. Dogs communicate with body posture and body language and if you can read it then in a sense he is talking to you. Same with any other animal on the planet. All it requires is for you to understand them.
edit on 14/11/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/11/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

well they do. If i needed to hunt animals to survive id sure as hell recognise them screaming as i cut into em'. That is the state of existance now on our planet. Soon that will change.... stem cells are being used to grow, hydroponicly, muscle tissue and then use electrical impulses to excercise it. This will allow you to eat a nearly unlimited supply of any muscle tissue at any tenderness you want.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
ON second thought I'd have fun with it...Muwahahahahaha

" It puts the seasoning on it's skin then into the basket!"

edit on 14-11-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Here's a deal: I promise I won't eat anything with opposable thumbs, or dogs (because they are carnivores, and eating carnivore meat isn't quite as "good for you.").
Do they communicate? Possibly. They say, "Good grass over here." and "There's a predator nearby...watch out!"
They don't exactly discuss Plato. Yes, it's arrogance to think that "our" communication is superior, but the hunting's been pretty damned good for at least 30,000 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join