It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iMac prices are RETARDED

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Do you even know the first thing about benchmarks?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

You ok R2?

I've already told you how little I know about computers in general ... my experience is simply that one of an end user on both platforms and the cursory investigations I undertake when I'm about to purchase a product.

You think the PC is faster then by all means stick with Windows pcs ...

Ugh, these mac/pc convos always turn the way creationist/evolutionist battles ...

I'm out!

edit on 14 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well mine got here today. I can't wait to see what it will do. After working on several different ones I was impressed by the performance and I went ahead and purchased one.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Nice!

Let me know if you need any assistance ... make sure to get a couple of small but indispensable utilities like Little Snitch and Flip4Mac.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Will do. So far I am loving this thing. The keyboard is a little screwy. I miss the numeric keyboard on the side but I am going to try to adapt. The magic mouse is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. The ones I used before had either a trackball or the old style mac mouse.

So far I am really impressed with its performance. I am going to read up on boot camp in the morning and see if I can get that going. From what I have read so far it seems really easy to do.

Edit: I love the minimalist look as well. My office actually looks somewhat respectable lol.
edit on 15-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yup bootcamp is okay, especially if one is going to run a lot of Windows applications ... I use something called crossover because it doesn't require partitioning for a second OS, it runs Windows programs as if they were on OS X, and it is perfect for the very rare occasion I must use Windows OS. Plus it doesn't require purchase of the Windows 7 OS, it simply runs the programs.

Perhaps someone should start another thread on this stuff as I don't wanna derail the OP's vexation momentum with the cost of Macs.

edit on 15 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I like your floors. Hope you dig on your iMac like I do on my MacBook.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
macs are the best, especially for playing games!

...buy a pc...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

If you can quote all those specs like that, you really should be running Linux. I'm running Gentoo Linux on a machine similar to the one you describe. Here's my desktop:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86958213e8a6.jpg[/atsimg]

Each side of the 'desktop cube' can be rotate to provide a different workspace. With virtualbox, I can run MacOS, Windows XP, Windows 7, and just about any other operating system simultaneously, in their own windows.

And Linux now has much more anti-monolithic street cred than Apple since Apple has decided to become a locked-in ecosystem that only cares about money.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

You know there's free software for any OS to do that.. right? Apple markets stuff like that as eyecandy, you dont need to spend thousands of dollars to attain that software.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO
reply to post by Ian McLean

Apple markets stuff like that as eyecandy

Link please.

you dont need to spend thousands of dollars to attain that software.

That was kinda my point.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Linux is always free and of course there is always a Hackintosh pc running OsX
www.hackintosh.com...

www.osx86project.org...

I also heard that people have also been able to get OsX up an running In Virtual Box
lifehacker.com...

www.webupd8.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Most schools purchase mac products. And that is why they suck worse than computers half the price. Uneducated school districts enable them to charge more for less.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by miracleretiree

Except that in the US, about 85% of public schools use PCs running Windows XP, compared to about 30% that use Macs with OS X (this is as of just a few years ago). Apologies if you were referring to a different country where the percentages may be significantly different.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crookedj0k3r
But anyone with half a brain knows that Apple makes the best operating systems on the face of the planet and the quality of their work is really self-evident. My pops has an iMac, sure it was a tad more expensive than getting a desktop PC running windows. But in the end, OS10 murders Windows 7 in every way possible. The fluidity of OSX is flawless. Everything is quicker, cleaner, easier, and safer with an OSX machine than it would ever be on a Windows.

Comparing hardware inside an iMac vs a Dell or an HP or Alienware or hell even D.I.Y., its the quality, mate.

Compare that with Ford, Chevy, Fiat/Dodge, and then bring in Mercedes, BMW, Audi.

All have the same equipment, but its manufactured and installed completely different in each. And the software is different in each dude.

Happy hunting. Mac pwns PC, and I'm a PC

Thank You. This is how I feel about Apple and PC. You can't compare!

I love Apple computers and everyone who knows me knows I do.
I had a PC laptop and it lasted a year. It's dead as we speak, taking it in tomorrow to see if it can be fixed. My powerbook I paid a pretty penny for but it was worth every cent! I never had problems, ever and I had it for about 5yrs.

I am buying a 17in MacbookPro in the next month or two. I can't wait to get that home

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
Most schools purchase mac products. And that is why they suck worse than computers half the price. Uneducated school districts enable them to charge more for less.

The only schools I see with Macs are design schools. Schools now don't have Apples.

I know all my schools growing up used Apple, which is why I'm partial..well that and it's better
I never used windows until I had to and I never liked it. I do know now that those schools don't have Apples but PCs, so back in the day maybe but not right now.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Man, you are right! What a rip off! Tell you what, friend. You sound like a smart guy, excuse me if you are not a guy, but why not forget that expensive Mac and build your own custom machine, for less than $600 for a dynamite tower. You add the mouse, monitor, keyboard, and OS.
Sites where I personally shop, often:

Outlet PC

NewEgg

Wholesale Computer Parts

You will need:
Case of your choice, a mid size tower is the best. Mine has neon lights and digital temperature gauge, lighted side fan.

Motherboard. Get a modern ATX, but be aware, many of the newer models do not have IDE ports for IDE hard drives. These take a SATA hard drive, of a solid state, a vastly superior drive. Pay attention to memory too. There is DDR, DDR2, and DDR3. The best deals ate the "Combo" boards, some even have heat-sink and CPU fan with it.
Note: Once in awhile a board will slip through that is bad, and it will not start when you turn it on. Check your power connections and if it is bad, do not distress. The people who sell these parts are friendly, and they will give you a "Return Ticket." No problem.

Memory. Look at the details for your chosen board, it will say what memory and frequency you need. You can also call, these places answer the phone whenever I have called, more than a few times.
Get at least a 2 Gb stick. 4 Gb is even better.

Hard Drive. A new 260 GB hard drive can be had for $60. Plenty of room for those movies.

Power Supply. Modern board have a 24 pin power hookup, instead of the older board which had a 20 pin hookup. A good 450 Watt 20+4 will only cost a little over $20.

Any optic drives you want, CD/DVD Burners.

Put it together, this is easy, just follow the little instruction book that comes with the motherboard. There will also be a driver CD that you will need if you install Windows on it. Plug it in and try to start it. If it starts up, pull the plug and go ahead and set it up. Boot the machine, and go to set up, load optimized defaults, and see what you have to do to get it to start on the CD/DVD. Load the operating system, configure, and you now have your very own home built custom computer that impress your friends to no end.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join